Help › Forums

Pro Shop/Drivers

rated by 0 users
Tue, Apr 23 2024 3:52 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • TheBobBarker1
    1 Posts
    Tue, Apr 16 2024 4:47 AM

Currently I'm new to the game and have been living off rental clubs whenever I level up or get special offers (for free). In the pro shop, the only gear available is the latest models of everything (QI10, AI Smoke, G430, etc.). I am wondering if  I ever get to unlock any other models or if only the newest are ever available..?

Additionally, at what level (assuming I have enough credits) should I be looking to buy my first clubs, and what would you recommend..?

Thanks.

• SamSpayed
    4,905 Posts
    Tue, Apr 16 2024 3:35 PM

TheBobBarker1:

Currently I'm new to the game and have been living off rental clubs whenever I level up or get special offers (for free). In the pro shop, the only gear available is the latest models of everything (QI10, AI Smoke, G430, etc.). I am wondering if  I ever get to unlock any other models or if only the newest are ever available..?

Additionally, at what level (assuming I have enough credits) should I be looking to buy my first clubs, and what would you recommend..?

What you see in the Pro Shop is all that's available.  If a club says something like (L35+) next to it, you'll need to be at that level or above in order to purchase it.

Many long-time players recommend playing with starter clubs until around Level 59, when the first High trajectory irons (the PING i230 Iron Set) become available.  There are also some decent wedges available for cheap once you reach the early 50s (the MAX Spins).  Waiting until then would give you time to learn the game and save up some credits, and it won't take you long to reach those levels.

But if you find that you just can't wait, the Ben Hogan Edge Iron Set (L15+) is a decent iron set available to you now.  You'll outgrow it, but it will make your game more enjoyable until you do.

I'm sure others will weigh in with their recommendations as well πŸ™‚

• BlackBogey
    279 Posts
    Tue, Apr 16 2024 3:57 PM

SamSpayed:

What you see in the Pro Shop is all that's available.  If a club says something like (L35+) next to it, you'll need to be at that level or above in order to purchase it.

Many long-time players recommend playing with starter clubs until around Level 59, when the first High trajectory irons (the PING i230 Iron Set) become available.  There are also some decent wedges available for cheap once you reach the early 50s (the MAX Spins).  Waiting until then would give you time to learn the game and save up some credits, and it won't take you long to reach those levels.

But if you find that you just can't wait, the Ben Hogan Edge Iron Set (L15+) is a decent iron set available to you now.  You'll outgrow it, but it will make your game more enjoyable until you do.

I'm sure others will weigh in with their recommendations as well πŸ™‚

@Samspayed, can't believe you forgot to mention the Steam DLC Bundles - you're slipping πŸ˜‰.  These are the best deals available to someone first starting out.

@BobBarker1, google WGT Steam DLC or similar.  You can get irons/driver that will last you quite a while, and you'll basically get the money spend back in free credits, along with some other goodies (balls, coins, apparel boxes).  If you are willing to spend real cash vs. earned credits these deals are no-brainers.  Only downside to these is you can't sell them back to the Pro Shop like you can with clubs purchased directly through WGT with credits, but you should easily get your money's worth out of them.

They also have deals for a putter and some wedges.  I'm on the fence about those. Many say you can stick with the starter putter until far later into the game, since putting comes down more to reading greens than how expensive of a putter you have.  On the wedges, one of them will be gapped very close to your iron set PW, so kind of a wasted spot in the bag.

Best of luck to you!

• SamSpayed
    4,905 Posts
    Tue, Apr 16 2024 4:37 PM

BlackBogey:
    @Samspayed, can't believe you forgot to mention the Steam DLC Bundles - you're slipping πŸ˜‰.  These are the best deals available to someone first starting out.

Indeed they are... and indeed I am πŸ˜„

Here's a screenshot of the WGT DLC bundles available on Steam:

BlackBogey:
    They also have deals for a putter and some wedges.  I'm on the fence about those. Many say you can stick with the starter putter until far later into the game, since putting comes down more to reading greens than how expensive of a putter you have.

The Eagle Bundle, which contains the putter, is IMHO a no-brainer.  For $9.99, you get 1500 credits ($15 worth), which by itself makes it a great deal.  On top of that, you get 6 Bridgestone balls and the Titleist Scotty Cameron putter, which is much better than the starter putter and has very decent specs (it's comparable to the L51 TM Spider).

The Birdie Bundle, which contains the wedges, is only good for the credits.  For $4.99, you get 750 credits ($7.50 worth).  The wedges in that bundle are not that good.  They are low-level TM wedges that go 77 and 105 yds, and they're Med/High loft wedges (which is terrible).

• BOZskills
    393 Posts
    Tue, Apr 16 2024 5:32 PM

Agee 100%,with both of you guys. I had never seen or heard of those bundles,but yah how can you go wrong.πŸ‘

• WGTShamWow
    907 Posts
    Tue, Apr 16 2024 6:39 PM

A friendly note on these bundles for anyone that comes across this in the future, in order to apply them to your WGT account you do need to login through Steam into WGT. They can't be applied through the mobile app.

Every once in a while a player will download the Steam Mobile App, buy the DLC, and then not have a PC/Mac to download WGT through Steam and login.  Unfortunately the team doesn't have access to players Steam accounts to apply the bundle manually, so they end up having to either request a refund through Steam or having to find a friend/family member with a computer in order to login through Steam. 

• HamdenPro
    2,417 Posts
    Wed, Apr 17 2024 2:41 PM

My understanding is, any clubs bought via the Steam bundles can not be sold back to the Pro-Shop. Still great deals on the bundles, just know that they have no re-sale credit value.

• BlackBogey
    279 Posts
    Wed, Apr 17 2024 9:34 PM

HamdenPro:

My understanding is, any clubs bought via the Steam bundles can not be sold back to the Pro-Shop. Still great deals on the bundles, just know that they have no re-sale credit value.

"@BobBarker1, google WGT Steam DLC or similar.  You can get irons/driver that will last you quite a while, and you'll basically get the money spend back in free credits, along with some other goodies (balls, coins, apparel boxes).  If you are willing to spend real cash vs. earned credits these deals are no-brainers.  Only downside to these is you can't sell them back to the Pro Shop like you can with clubs purchased directly through WGT with credits, but you should easily get your money's worth out of them".

Reading, it's FUN-damental! πŸ˜‰

• HamdenPro
    2,417 Posts
    Thu, Apr 18 2024 1:51 PM

BlackBogey:
    Reading, it's FUN-damental

You are 100% correct, I did not read your post. I saw that you had a reply, but presuming it would not be anything informative, I ignored it. My apologies. For now on, if I read a thread, and I come upon a BB reply, I will give it a quick glance. 😊

• alosso
    21,039 Posts
    Thu, Apr 18 2024 9:31 PM

TheBobBarker1:
    at what level (assuming I have enough credits) should I be looking to buy my first clubs, and what would you recommend..?
    Since you are L35, take a chance at L39 (not earlier!) to grab two TM wedges of 60° and 64 ° - it makes a ton of improvement to replace those §$%&& STARTER wedges! Then, you'll have all the available shots ready - chip, pitch, flop(!), and a bigger range of shot power.

L59 (88.500 XPs) was(!) a milestone for irons (first "high trajectory" irons, PING (no longer, see L45 MAX @40.215 XPs)), but there are sensible MAX options on the way which may carry you to L85 (255.000 XPs) where the better PINGs wait for you.

Before, you may consider a 3WD as a budget alternative to a driver (notably to the weak STARTER driver) - L46 MAX comes to mind, looking better from the numbers than the L34 PING 3WD. If you want the REAL THING, the L34 PING driver will be a decent choice, but 40% more expensive and only single purpose, from the tee.

That Steam putter is a massive bargain (dunno which one it is), but, otherwise, wait until YOU are better than the STARTER putter - it may take a while. My putter is L55 - quite fitting to my development.

Most of all: Have fun!

• PAGES
RSS