Forums

Help › Forums

Will You Harm WGT by using Ad Blockers?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Dec 28 2010 5:25 AM (56 replies)
  • LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2010 10:41 AM

Merry Christmas also to You Andy!(remember,all I want for Christmas is me woolie knix)

Bet youre trying to adapt that to the song already.I know I am,and it almost works.Its to do with sylables Im thinking.

Lizziex

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2010 10:41 AM

I will continue to use Flashblock and enjoy the incredibly smooth meter, and playability. I've answered your question. WGT will be just fine with members using Flashblock or not. You can make-up anything you want. Just play the game Andy and stop worrying so much about WGT. You're going to feel pretty stupid when WGT keeps fulfilling updates all year long in 2011. Let's reengage this conversation this time next year, and we'll see if WGT was hurt like you say. It doesn't matter what you say, or what articles you have, WGT will flourish with or with out the use of Flashblock. Don't be so mule-headed about this Andy.   : )

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2010 10:59 AM

What needs to stop here is the association of these ads with the meter. There is no association. The ads do not affect the meter at all. There are no ads during the actual game screen and no activity from them until the scorecard is presented.

I'm a little surprised you don't realize this, Richard4168. Your claim to a "silky smooth meter" is in the majority of your posts on meter topics and has been for a long time. This would indicate that any claims by you of Flashblock making this happen is a bit confusing. How silky smooth can something be?

I did a little experiment myself after reading about Flashblock. I use Iron religiously for the game but I went to Firefox anyway, DL'd the utility and played with Flashblock doing it's thing. The only thing I  didn't see was the actual ad itself. The screen still jumped down and the box was there with the (f), just no content. Click to next screen and business as usual. The meter was the same as in Iron and the game played just as smoothly for me. 

What I did find hugely annoying was having to click the (f) all over the main page to see anything, including the Log In screen box. Hovering over it gives you the link but unless you've memorized those mile-long links you're still in the dark about it. I think I'll leave things alone.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2010 11:34 AM

Richard4168:
    It doesn't matter what you say, or what articles you have,

Now that's what I call mule -headed.  Ignoring facts and sticking to your opinion .  Get your head out of the sand or wherever you have it stuck Rich.

Jim has a very good point.  How can your meter be immensely better if way back on August 26th, while you were running the old Firefox, and before you touted Google Chrome and then the buggy Firefox Beta 8 you said your performs outstandingly and is solid :

Richard4168:
    My meter is performing outstandingly using the simple optimizing tasks outlined in earlier posts using a single core processor. It seems that a cheap, single core processor computer properly optimized is the answer to a solid swing meter at WGT,

Gotta go along with Jim and call BS on your claim to an immensely better meter with Flashblock.  It was outstanding and solid back in August you said!  Sounds pretty darn close to perfect back in August Rich, how much better can it be now?  Can't be much better than perfect.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2010 11:37 AM

Very well fellas. Merry Christmas.

Enjoy!

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2010 8:29 PM

YankeeJim:
    What needs to stop here is the association of these ads with the meter. There is no association. The ads do not affect the meter at all. There are no ads during the actual game screen and no activity from them until the scorecard is presented.

I'd agree with this YJ, but I can also attest to an increased meter performance with the installation of flashblock plugin. You are correct that it should not be correlated to the ad's, but you can be sure it has filtered out other unnecessary flash objects that have improved the flash efficiency related to the meter.

YankeeJim:
    The only thing I  didn't see was the actual ad itself. The screen still jumped down and the box was there with the (f), just no content.

I think you didn't take the time to configure it properly. This is the default behavior when it is first installed, where it blocks all flash. I'm curious as to the screen resizing and jumping, I didn't see this when the default settings were being used, it blocked all screen adjustments right out of the box. This very well have been due to the AdBlock plugin I have running, which you most likely didn't have installed.

YankeeJim:
    What I did find hugely annoying was having to click the (f) all over the main page to see anything, including the Log In screen box

Same, this is because you were using the default configuration and had not taken the time to customize what was and was not being blocked. A right click on any blocked object gives you some easy-access options on how to configure them individually.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Dec 23 2010 5:13 AM

Baloney. I understand white lists and how to configure programs like this. Moreso, I could give 2 craps about how to set it up, let alone take the time to do it. The point of the whole exercise was to prove to myself  that it has no affect on the meter and it doesn't.

VanHalenLover:
    I'd agree with this YJ, but I can also attest to an increased meter performance with the installation of flashblock plugin.

By your observation there are Flash related somethings going on in the background that affect your meter. More baloney. If there is then you are inviting the meter problems and of course Flashblock would help. DUH.   N O T H I N G runs in the background of my Iron browser when I play.

Using Flashblock basically is a cosmetic thing-you don't get bombarded with the ads. When it comes to the game they have zero affect on it if you take simple, prudent steps to play. That would be as in none, zippo, squatski, Capisce?

BTW, there are no ads at all in the RGs. Richard4168 should know that-he played them.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, Dec 23 2010 7:41 AM

Take it easy Jim, there's no need to name and shame members in the forums. Take the ads and Flashblock out of the equation, and you still have a meter stutter in Iron, simply because of the flash animation that occurs in the game client during a swing. This game is supported by all current up to date browsers on the web. It all has to do with the speed a player plays at. There shouldn't be a meter stutter for anyone if they would simply play slowly in any browser.

I choose to use Flashblock for other Internet purposes as well.

P.S. You're just pissed-off because I beat you all the time in Ready-Go's.  LOL!!!

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Dec 23 2010 7:52 AM

Richard4168:
    Take it easy Jim, there's no need to name and shame members in the forums.

Who did he name and shame?  Baloney, Moreso, zippo, squatski, and Capisce?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Dec 23 2010 8:28 AM

LMAO Andy-was wondering that too. Also sounds like a law firm if you say it right.  :-D

RSS