Help › Forums

Tough-It-Out VT March event: Kiawah

Sat, Apr 4 2015 12:18 AM (134 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, Mar 6 2015 9:35 AM

TOURNEY OPENS Tuesday ... R1 runs Tue 3/10-Mon 3/16; R2 runs 3/17-3/23

LEADERBOARD

After the success of the holiday special at the beginning of the year, A Bandon Hope, we're going to offer a monthly tourney running parallel to the VT. Last month's event was at Royal St. George's (since the VT was on a CCTH course). This month we're doing our Starters-only test on Kiawah Island.

Prior 2015 events: 

Jan: A Bandon Hope  (LB)

Feb: Tough-It-Out VT Feb event: Royal St. George's  (LB)

Tough-It-Out competitions have run for several years as community organized events here on WGT (see example here). The Tough-It-Out concept is all about trying to mimic the hardest conditions in Major Championship golf, giving us the challenge of trying to tackle the toughest courses in a manner similar to that faced by the top pros. Par will be a great score! 

By using Starter Clubs and Balls only, and doing it with Uneven Lies we believe this is the hardest test on WGT, and it's one that's a level playing field (pun intended) for all participants. 

WGT is offering a sleeve (of good balls) to the top 5 players in this 2 single-play rounds event. Good luck! 

FYI: We had hoped that these events would be official tourneys visible to all players through the game client, but apparently there are some programming issues with that because of the restricted club settings... so it will be accessed just via a link to be posted here: so, please help spread the word with friends and your Country Club:

TOURNAMENT ENTRY LINK is HERE!

REVISED Tourney link is HERE (event starts Tue 3/10: 1st Rnd ends Mon 3/16)

***Remember, to be in the running for any of the special prizes (see next post below), take SCREEN SHOTS of both f9 & b9 CARDS and all the STATS!!!!!***

The tourney is open to all tiers and levels. We'll all be using the same clubs, balls, green speeds, and lies.

PLEASE NOTE: the tourney link will take you directly to the game client, and if you do not have full Starter Clubs and Ball equipped, you'll get a warning message. Shoe sets these up as equipment-restricted events. 

We really do want to encourage newbies to give it a go. It's a great chance for new players (who may be more familiar than old fogies with these clubs) to pit themselves against the best on WGT, and for the experienced player, it's a opportunity to revisit the fun of playing the game without the pressure of needing to make a birdie on almost every hole.

Here are the tournament dates and conditions:

R1 :: Tue 3/10 to Mon 3/16 ::

18 holes; Kiawah IslandGold (Hard) tees, Moderate Wind, Tourney12 greens, Uneven Lies, equipment restricted to Starter Clubs and Ball

R2 :: Tue 3/17 to Mon 3/23 ::

18 holes; Kiawah IslandWhite (Medium) tees, High wind, Champ13 greens, Uneven Lies, equipment restricted to Starter Clubs and Ball

Also, please note, we are hopeful that Shoe can set it up so that everyone gets the same set of pins for R1, and that everyone also gets the same set of the different pins for R2.

Prizes:

WGTdbloshoe is generously offering a sleeve (of good balls) to the top 5 finishers across two completed rounds.

Other prizes will be announced here shortly, depending on what donations come in. Please feel free to offer something if you are so moved! As with prior Tough-It-Out events, we want to encourage sharing of descriptions and snapshotted scorecards and stats, so there'll be special prizes in different categories. And, of course, it would be great if any participants are willing and able to Twitch their rounds.

Any questions, please feel free to ask here in the thread.

Thanks, and have fun!

TOURNAMENT ENTRY LINK is HERE!

REVISED Tourney link is HERE (event starts Tue 3/10: 1st Rnd ends Mon 3/16)

-----------------------------------------

Note: we are also hoping WGT may support a quarterly Twitched play-off event between the 3 monthly winners and next-placed top finisher. More news on that soon...

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, Mar 6 2015 9:37 AM

PRIZES:

WGTdbloshoe will award a sleeve to the top 5 on the final leaderboard

In addition... we hope to have some Special Prizes, to be announced below.

If anyone wants to be a sponsor, or has a particular prize they think should be offered, please let me know.

Possible prizes (to be confirmed):

1) Low score level 70 or lower (level at conclusion of tourney).

2) Longest putt made.

3) Number of saves

4) Highest overall percentage of Greens in Regulation

5) Closest Ave. Distance to the Hole

6) Greatest overall total distance made putts.

Other potential ideas include: ctth on a particular hole, holes-in-oneLeast Number of Bogeys or WorseMost Number of Birdies, etc, etc.

------------------------------------------

bhoese:
    I'll give a sleeve for the sub L70*, and the two putting categories.

JoeMaverick:
    I will give a sleeve of balls for:

4) Highest overall percentage of Greens in Regulation

ColumbusStorm:
    I will award 1 sleeve of balls to:

7) Low score Legend tier* (tier at conclusion of tourney).

8) Low score Tour Master tier* or lower (tier at conclusion of tourney).

SPECIAL PRIZES:

Special Prizes Stats spreadsheet

Remember: To be in the running for special prizes, please note you will need to share screenshots of your scorecard and stats.

Tips on how to take screenshots are here: http://www.take-a-screenshot.org/ and here.

My recommended free hosting service is: http://postimage.org/ -- free, and no signup required) which will provide you with a 'direct link' which you paste in after clicking the 'Insert Media' button above.

---------------------------------------

Again, any donations of prizes will be gratefully accepted! Don't be shy... !

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, Mar 6 2015 9:37 AM

<reserved>

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Fri, Mar 6 2015 5:43 PM

Sorry to be a dumb pillock, but is it two tourneys we play now, one for Ryder Cup quaali with normal clubs and balls, and this VT tourney but with starters.

Just need clarification.

Thanks

1i

• MatildaIgaly
    1,822 Posts
    Fri, Mar 6 2015 11:02 PM

oneeyedjohn:

Sorry to be a dumb pillock, but is it two tourneys we play now, one for Ryder Cup quaali with normal clubs and balls, and this VT tourney but with starters.

Just need clarification.

Thanks

1i

Yes. 

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, Mar 6 2015 11:03 PM

You got it right 1i, this event is entirely separate from the UEL Tour and UEL Ryder Cup qualification, which you can play with whatever clubs you want (but if you want any chance of doing well, I'd strongly recommend using 'fancy' clubs!)

Anything that says 'Tough-It-Out' as the brand-name is going to be with Starters.

I probably shouldn't be using the 'VT' initials, but I'm thinking of these monthly Tough-It-Out events as a parallel Virtual Tour but with Starters.

... and yes, you should play both Tours. Everyone should!

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Sat, Mar 7 2015 12:53 AM

:-)

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Mon, Mar 9 2015 11:50 AM

Just marking this so i can find easier tomorrow :-)

Missed the previous 1's. Be nice if wgt put it on the main tourney page.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Mar 9 2015 10:11 PM

It sure would Dazza!

Apparently, there's something to do with the programming (in particular the number of restrictions on clubs that can be used) that then limits the number of people that can sign up... and somehow this problem prevents it going in the Game Client tourney menu.

I have asked if we could have a site-wide pop-up or similar ad pointing to the Tourney thread, but so far no luck with that request.

-------

I just received the Tournament link from Shoe, and have added the link to the opening post.

Here it is as well: Tough-It-Out March VT event @ Kiawah

(Note: it opens in 2hrs approx, as soon as we get into Tue 3/10. R1 runs 7 days until Mon 3/16, with R2 opening on Tue 3/17 and running until Mon 3/23.)

-------

Anyone want to sponsor any sleeves for prizes?

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Tue, Mar 10 2015 6:15 AM

Corwyn:

Anyone want to sponsor any sleeves for prizes?

I'll give a sleeve for the sub L70*, and the two putting categories.

Good luck everybody!

*Subject to my own arbitrary and final determination that the winner is not a multi.

RSS