Help › Forums

Tough-It-Out VT Feb event: Royal St. George's

rated by 0 users
Fri, Mar 6 2015 9:39 AM (121 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Feb 10 2015 11:38 AM

TOURNEY OPENS TODAY ... R1 runs Tue 2/10-Mon 2/16- R2 runs 2/17-2/23

After the success of the holiday special, A Bandon Hope, we're going to offer a monthly tourney running parallel to the VT. This month (since the VT is on a CCTH course), we're doing our Starters-only test on our 'bumpiest' course, Royal St. George's (which is not in the VT line-up).

Tough-It-Out competitions have run for several years as community organized events here on WGT (see example here). The Tough-It-Out concept is all about trying to mimic the hardest conditions in Major Championship golf, giving us the challenge of trying to tackle the toughest courses in a manner similar to that faced by the top pros. Par will be a great score! 

By using Starter Clubs and Balls only, and doing it with Uneven Lies we believe this is the hardest test on WGT, and it's one that's a level playing field (pun intended) for all participants. 

WGT is offering a sleeve (of good balls) to the top 5 players in this 2 single-play rounds event. Good luck! 

FYI: We had hoped that these events would be official tourneys visible to all players through the game client, but apparently there are some programming issues with that because of the restricted club settings... so it will be accessed just via a link to be posted here: so, please help spread the word with friends and your cc:

TOURNAMENT ENTRY LINK IS HERE!  (starts today Tue 2/10: 1st Rnd ends Mon 2/16)

***Remember, to be in the running for any of the special prizes (see next post below), take SCREEN SHOTS of both f9 & b9 CARDS and all the STATS!!!!!***

The tourney is open to all tiers and levels. We'll all be using the same clubs, balls, green speeds, and lies. We really do want to encourage newbies to give it a go. It's a great chance for new players (who may be more familiar than old fogies with these clubs) to pit themselves against the best on WGT, and for the experienced player, it's a opportunity to revisit the fun of playing the game without the pressure of needing to make a birdie on almost every hole.

Here are the tournament dates and conditions:

R1 :: Tue 2/10 to Mon 2/16 ::

18 holes; Royal St. George'sWhite (Medium) tees, High wind, Champ13 greens, Uneven Lies, equipment restricted to Starter Clubs and Ball

R2 :: Tue 2/17 to Mon 2/23 ::

18 holes; Royal St. George's; Red (Hard) tees, Moderate Wind, Tourney12 greens, Uneven Lies, equipment restricted to Starter Clubs and Ball

Prizes:

WGTdbloshoe is generously offering a sleeve (of good balls) to the top 5 finishers across two completed rounds.

Other prizes will be announced here shortly, depending on what donations come in. Please feel free to offer something if you are so moved! As with prior Tough-It-Out events, we want to encourage sharing of descriptions and snapshotted scorecards and stats, so there'll be special prizes in several categories. And, of course, it would be great if any participants are willing and able to Twitch their rounds.

Any questions, please feel free to ask here in the thread.

Thanks, and have fun!

TOURNAMENT ENTRY LINK HERE!  

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts

PRIZES:

WGTdbloshoe will award a sleeve to the top 5 on the final leaderboard

In addition... we will have some Special Prizes, to be announced below.

If anyone wants to be sponsor, or has a particular prize they think should be offered, please let me know.

Possible prizes on offer (to be confirmed):

1) Low score level 70 or lower (level at conclusion of tourney).

2) Longest putt made.

3) Number of saves

4) Highest overall percentage of Greens in Regulation

5) Greatest overall total distance made putts.

Other possible ideas include: ctth on a particular hole, holes-in-oneLeast Number of Bogeys or WorseMost Number of Birdies, etc, etc.

Remember: To be in the running for special prizes, please note you will need to share screenshots of your scorecard and stats.

Tips on how to take screenshots are here: http://www.take-a-screenshot.org/ and here.

My recommended free hosting service is: http://postimage.org/ -- free, and no signup required) which will provide you with a 'direct link' which you paste in after clicking the 'Insert Media' button above.

---------------------------------------

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts

<reserved>

• Wesdogg75
    2,431 Posts
    Tue, Feb 10 2015 2:24 PM

Should have practiced some before i played, lesson learned i guess but this round was not pretty, with a few of the par 4's being over 400 yards with a tailwind it was difficult to keep the ball on the greens hitting the long irons.

On top of that i couldn't ding the putter meter to save my life, only had 2 or maybe 3 reasonable looks at birdie and couldn't convert.....please somebody shoot a worse round than me!!

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Tue, Feb 10 2015 5:06 PM

@ Wes,

14 pars and finishing with par saves at 17 and 18 is pretty good in the conditions. :)

@ Corwyn,

Might be a good idea to do a little advertising in the top thread. BTW I've tried the first round conditions a couple of times and I'm predicting at least 3-5 under par for our top UEL & Starter Club players. ;)))

~CD~

• fredsf
    1,460 Posts
    Tue, Feb 10 2015 5:23 PM

I didn't save the cards, nothing fancy to show. I shot a pathetic 81. Just couldn't figure out the putter again. I could practice but I'm bored playing alone, so... Hopefully one day we'll go back to the multi player TIO, way more fun!  ;)

Good luck everyone, it's pretty tough out there!

F.  

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Tue, Feb 10 2015 5:35 PM

Almost good. Played well despite some bad early putting until a 150yd club dinged in a 26 mph downwind on 15 carried 139 into the bunker short (is this normal??). With a little short game practice a decent score with this equipment would not be too hard.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Tue, Feb 10 2015 9:18 PM

Made 1 putt on 17, otherwise garbage.  And I watched Mags' video beforehand.

• stevereilly
    5,910 Posts
    Wed, Feb 11 2015 2:56 AM

My brain hurts now,  I couldn't get to grips with putting at all as I'm a Nike Method player. The scale threw me several times.

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Wed, Feb 11 2015 8:27 AM

Steve(Reilly) was kind enough to start a thread within our own CC regarding this event.

Just had a practice over the front 9 using same settings/equipment;

27' PAR (lol) save @ RSG #2 from the fringe, downhill, on champ greens.

Been a while since I've been down in this spot.

Hope I have the same luck and get safely through the full 18 when the time comes - regardless of score.

*No mulligans were used/harmed in the making of the above card.

Update:

Back 9 practice was a tad more unforgiving ;(

LOL

RSS