Forums

Help › Forums

"A Bandon Hope!" - A Tough-It-Out Special Holiday Tourney at Bandon Dunes

Thu, Feb 12 2015 7:13 AM (153 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, Dec 19 2014 2:49 PM

TOURNEY ENDS TODAY ... R1 ran Mon 12/22-Sun 12/28 - play R2 round by Sat 1/3!

It's been over a year now since the last Tough-It-Out event... too long, you all say! ... so we are delighted to announce that, with the help and support of WGTdbloshoe and WGTicon, we're going to have a special Tough-It-Out Holiday event at our newest course, Bandon Dunes.

The Tough-It-Out concept is all about trying to mimic the hardest conditions in Major Championship golf, and give us a challenge of trying to tackle the toughest Open courses in a manner similar to that faced by the top pros.

By using Starter Clubs and Balls only, and doing it with Uneven Lies we believe this is the hardest test on WGT, and it's one that's a level playing field (pun intended) for all participants. 

But I hear you all shout, what's the point of Uneven Lies on a par 3 course?!!! Well, it's just an extra incentive to make sure you hit those greens. There are some pretty nasty lies awaiting if you happen to roll off any of Bandon's challenging putting surfaces, so be careful!

We hoped to have this event be an official tourney visible to all players through the game client, but apparently there are some programming issues with that because of the restricted club settings... so it will be accessed just via a link to be posted here: please help spread the word with friends and your cc:

TOURNAMENT ENTRY LINK IS HERE!  (starts Mon 12/22)

***Remember, to be in the running for any of the special prizes (see next post below), take SCREEN SHOTS of all f9 & b9 CARDS and all the STATS!!!!!***

The tourney is open to all tiers and levels. We'll all be using the same clubs, balls, green speeds, and lies. We really do want to encourage newbies to give it a go. It's a great chance for new players (who may be more familiar than old fogies with these clubs) to pit themselves against the best on WGT, and for the experienced player, it's a opportunity to revisit the fun of playing the game without the pressure of needing to make a birdie on almost every hole.

Here are the tournament dates and conditions:

R1 :: Mon 12/22 to Sun 12/28 ::

18 holes; Bandon Dunes; Hard (Green) tees, Moderate wind, Tournament speed greens, Uneven Lies, equipment restricted to Starter Clubs and Ball

R2 :: Mon 12/29 to Sat 1/3 ::

18 holes; Bandon Dunes; Championship (Hardest) tees, High Wind, Championship 13 greens, Uneven Lies, equipment restricted to Starter Clubs and Ball

Prizes:

WGT are generously offering a sleeve (of good balls) to the top 10 finishers across two completed rounds.

Other prizes will be announced here shortly. As with prior Tough-It-Out events, we want to encourage sharing of descriptions and snapshotted scorecards and stats, so there'll be special prizes in several categories. And, of course, it would be great if any participants are willing and able to Twitch their rounds.

Any questions, please feel free to ask here in the thread.

Thanks,

Corwyn & CerinoDevoti

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, Dec 19 2014 2:49 PM

WGTdbloshoe will award a sleeve to the top 10 on the final leaderboard

in addition... here is the current information on special prizes being offered:

Ben (bhoese) has generously offered several sleeves in prizes. One sleeve each for the following:

1) Low score level 70 or lower (level at conclusion of tourney).

bhoese:
    The prize that I was offering for the best score by a player below L70 will go unawarded because unfortunately there were no such players in the field.  Instead, that sleeve will go to the next player who improves his or her score from R1 in the markedly tougher conditions of R2 and claims the prize here in this thread.

2) Longest putt made.

3) Number of saves. (total number of par saves through 36 holes, as shown on all cards))

And I will add to that prize pool, with a sleeve each for:

4) Highest overall percentage of Greens in Regulation

5) Greatest overall total distance made putts.

We will welcome any other prize sponsorships you'd like to offer. Feel free to get creative, e.g. ctth on a particular hole, holes-in-one, Least Number of Bogeys or Worse, Most Number of Birdies, etc, etc, or add extra sleeves to any category already listed.

Remember: To be in the running for special prizes, please note you will need to share screenshots of your scorecard and stats.

Tips on how to take screenshots are here: http://www.take-a-screenshot.org/ and here.

My recommended free hosting service is: http://postimage.org/ -- free, and no signup required) which will provide you with a 'direct link' which you paste in after clicking the 'Insert Media' button above.

---------------------------------------

I've set up a basic spreadsheet (not very beautiful I'm afraid) showing all the various stats categories for those players who submitted scorecards/stats in the forum thread.

Spreadsheet is here.

Please look and see if I might have copied any of your own data wrongly, or missed your submitted info.

It's divided into 2 groupings, players who've provided a verifiable record for both rounds (either in pics or twitch etc) and those who haven't (and are thus ruled out for special prizes).

Here is a pic of the players in the running for these prizes (pic accurate as of 6am 1/2/15): right-click on the image to enlarge, and keep clicking until you get largest view

Note I've added a highlight in yellow on the box where that player is currently leading that category, and highlights in blue if they are next in the standings.

-------

FINAL WRAP-UP of prizes is on page 13

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, Dec 19 2014 2:50 PM

<reserved>

• fredsf
    1,460 Posts
    Fri, Dec 19 2014 4:51 PM

Hi Corwyn, it's good to see the tough it out poping up like a bubble of champagne for the holidays!!!!

I clicked the link for inscription and he said I'm not eligible for this tournament. So bad I am with those stakes and wooden balls!

So since shoe and Icon are involved, I guess, this tournament will appear on the wgt stroke weekly tournament list on Monday, correct? If yes, I'll miss the multiple players format of this event that have made it so fun to share.

Thank you guys for doing this again! Looking forward to have this fun anyway!

Fred.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, Dec 19 2014 5:08 PM

Hi Fred,

Yes, the tournament will only become functional on Monday 12/22.

(I wish they'd change the 'not eligible' message. It's so confusing.)

Because it's during the holiday season, I figured that it would be simpler just to make this edition single-player via a link, and not go through the whole scheduling challenges involved in multiplayer. I too will miss it though... but won't miss the extra work, lol!

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Fri, Dec 19 2014 5:18 PM

I played a practice round of the first round conditions. I'm afraid this may be too easy. Shot -3 without really trying. ;)

~CD~

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Fri, Dec 19 2014 9:56 PM

Gravity

In another round, I got to -3 in high wind on champ greens, but went down in a hail of bogeys.  55.

• cody6202000
    271 Posts
    Fri, Dec 19 2014 11:00 PM

First round for me, also. Other than an 8' par putt on 10, nothing even close to anything either way until a 15' birdie on 18 (in fact, that's my first 2 on that hole in any mode, about a half-dozen rounds).

17 pars, 1 birdie, 53 (-1).

Round 2 nothing like round 1. Got off to a great start, birdie on 2. 3-putts on 4, though. Dropped a half-dozen shots between 7-12 (double on 8 when I played ping-pong, just like in the VT-replay event, and another on 12 when I went OB left). Birdies on 14, 15, and 18, but a triple on 17 when I took 3 to get on from the left edge.

4 birdies, 8 pars, 3 bogeys, 2 doubles, 1 triple. 60 (+6). 113 (+5) total.

• ArgyleScott
    1,267 Posts
    Sat, Dec 20 2014 12:07 AM

I don't have a starter pitching wedge, only a sand and a lob wedge. Where can I get one? Shouldn't I have one already?

Thank you.

Nevermind. I went to play the course and the pitching wedge was in my bag along with the other two. Just a glitch?

• fredsf
    1,460 Posts
    Sat, Dec 20 2014 5:11 AM

CerinoDevoti:

I played a practice round of the first round conditions. I'm afraid this may be too easy. Shot -3 without really trying. ;)

~CD~

We all know Ceri that you da man with those clubs ;)

RSS