Forums

Help › Forums

New Average Scores

Sun, Sep 2 2018 5:54 PM (136 replies)
  • Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sat, Oct 30 2010 4:37 PM

Thanks Jim, and others for the info.

It's going to take forever getting to the Legend tier at this point. I'm unable to always score good. The only tournaments I do half-way decent in is the weekly unlimited, and the monthly unlimited due to playing the same two courses 25 times or so each per week. Check my score history and you'll see my posted scores in the weekly unlimited tournaments getting better after each round played. Heck, I should be able to shoot a 57 by the end of the monthly tournament after playing it a hundred times all month.  lol!

I completely bomb in the weekly single tournaments.

Like you said Jim, we'll get there eventually, but it's going to take a lot of additional practice in the mean time. Sometimes I can score good in regular stroke play with low wind, but I'm not that consistent. I suppose we could record our rounds that are below 33/66 only (which are far and few in between), but that's not earning the Legend tier legitimately IMO.

• VilaRestal
    95 Posts
    Sat, Oct 30 2010 5:00 PM

I think perhaps it isn't a fixed number of best rounds but the average of all rounds below a certain score (i.e. best X% rather best X): 2 rounds ago my score was somewhere between the average for my best 15 and best 16. 1 round ago it was somewhere between 16 and 17. Now it's somewhere between 17 and 18. I think it must be weighted to more recent scores too but I'm not sure by how much.

Anyway the effect would be: the more rounds you've played since last promotion the less the score changes with each good round.

The upside would be there won't be people getting promoted prematurely. 'Thank goodness for that' I hear all but the legends cry.

The downside would be the longer you stay in a tier the more good rounds it would take to get promoted.

That won't please Kaslo one bit.

• mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Sat, Oct 30 2010 5:09 PM

I don't like this avg system already - no matter what I should over or under, my avg is not moving. I just shot 62 on SA and my avg moved from 68.93 to 68.75. Well atleast I can't complain about moving up a tier whilst on the wrong level.

• eddoll
    158 Posts
    Sun, Oct 31 2010 10:12 PM

anything is better than the moronic system that was in place

• aceydeucey
    504 Posts
    Mon, Nov 1 2010 12:56 PM

eddoll:

anything is better than the moronic system that was in place

Agree completely.  

I just wish WGT would put a stop to these ridiculous low scores these so-called Hacks & Amateurs are posting in WGT sponsered tourneys.

Come on guys, there is NO way a Hack & Amateur should be posting 29s & 30s on 9-hole tourneys.   That's what MAsters are posting.

The solution is simple... just move them up to Master automatically when they post a 31, 30 or 29.   No if and or buts... just move them up.

And please don't tell me they just got lucky, come on.    I've gotten lucky 1 time with a 31.... and that was after 800 plus ranked rounds.

There should not be no "benefit of the doubt" here... just move them up a few tiers and let them play as a Master.

• lilrob88
    870 Posts
    Tue, Nov 2 2010 7:30 AM

All this stuff is great. yeah yeah blah blah

but how about adding some necessities? been waiting on that CONCEDE HOLE button for a long time now,

I understand the fact that you guys want us guys to use up our virtual golf balls that much faster so we can just go buy more.... yay. but please do something useful

• DougBieker
    333 Posts
    Wed, Nov 3 2010 8:38 AM

Just curious on the averages, I was checking a few scores and wondered how much one persons average moved when he/she?? shot a 32 in a nine hole unlimited and then the next day in the same unlimited he/she?? fired an 84....wow the winds must have really picked up

• mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Wed, Nov 3 2010 5:01 PM

DougBieker:

Just curious on the averages, I was checking a few scores and wondered how much one persons average moved when he/she?? shot a 32 in a nine hole unlimited and then the next day in the same unlimited he/she?? fired an 84....wow the winds must have really picked up

His/Her average would not go up at all. But seriously 84 - are you sure thats not an 18holer

• LordPercy
    58 Posts
    Wed, Nov 3 2010 7:59 PM

Finding that average doesn't move unless I shoot a sub average score.....have shot numerous good rounds which have been over my average by 2 - 5 (for 9 and 18 hole events) and it doesn't move out at all. Yet  get one round under average and it drops. Not too sure how that equates to a real average, even if you want to allow for bad blowouts(either deliberate or legitimate ones).

• oneputtdavid
    1,337 Posts
    Wed, Nov 3 2010 8:39 PM

[quote"LordPercy"].... average doesn't move unless I shoot a sub average score.....have shot numerous good rounds which have been over my average by 2 - 5 (for 9 and 18 hole events) and it doesn't move out at all. Yet  get one round under average and it drops. Not too sure how that equates to a real average......

Hear what your saying LP... was beginning to think, that was "only" happening to me. Glad to hear WGT spreads the "love" (lol) or should I say, unorthodox handicap method. But if their system will help curb sandbagging than I'll accept it. IMO 

RSS