Forums

Help › Forums

New Average Scores

Sun, Sep 2 2018 5:54 PM (136 replies)
  • WGTSky
    223 Posts
    Thu, Oct 21 2010 11:41 AM

We’re making improvements to how your Average Score is calculated and when you advance to the next Tier in WGT. These changes will help players in the same Tier to compete more fairly, and encourage everyone to complete more rounds and earn more experience points so they reach new Levels faster.

Here are the improvements…

1. Your Average Score will be based on multiple best scores within ONLY your current Tier, not scores that you shot when in previous Tiers, which better reflects your current skill competing with the tee boxes and green speeds in your current Tier.     
    2. Your Average Score will be based on ONLY your best scores, so completing a bad round will not negatively impact your Average Score or Tier. So be sure to finish all your rounds and gain the extra experience points, as a bad day won’t matter.          
    3. Advancing to the next Tier requires a qualifying Average Score AND a minimum amount of completed stroke play games, which will take a little more time but will help players reach the Levels necessary to unlock upgraded equipment that is helpful to compete at higher Tiers.

WGT is not disclosing the exact number of rounds used to calculate your Average Score, or the minimum Average Score that’s used to advance you to the next Tier. That’s because those numbers will change over time based on overall player scoring, and also because we want to avoid people using that information for unfair advantage.

Another benefit of these changes is that it will discourage the practice of creating multiple accounts for the purpose of progressing rapidly to a mid-range Tier where someone can compete unfairly in match play or tournaments. WGT has also added a number of algorithms to monitor scores to watch for and discourage this type of behavior.

• Rickypro
    559 Posts
    Thu, Oct 21 2010 12:05 PM

Thanks for the update!

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Thu, Oct 21 2010 12:10 PM

Hmmm........ That sounds suspiciously like progress.....   :)

Nice job.

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Thu, Oct 21 2010 12:11 PM

WGTSky:

3.  Advancing to the next Tier requires a qualifying Average Score AND a minimum amount of completed stroke play games, which will take a little more time but will help players reach the Levels necessary to unlock upgraded equipment that is helpful to compete at higher Tiers.

I'll assume you mean "Ranked" stroke play games completed...correct?

• shortstroke25
    116 Posts
    Thu, Oct 21 2010 12:13 PM

this a nice job in doing that but 1 little thing missing eta of this new program???

• Docwilli11
    8 Posts
    Thu, Oct 21 2010 12:20 PM

WOW..impressive.  now if we could just get 1 more course unlocked for stroke play. like maybe.  celtic manor.  we would really have the ball rolling..keep it up guys   DOC

• racoondad
    322 Posts
    Thu, Oct 21 2010 12:21 PM
    Ha, I felt something was different on average score a few days back (http://wgt.com/forums/t/25817.aspx). Guess I was right. Good move, wgt.
  • blackbeard
    288 Posts
    Thu, Oct 21 2010 12:36 PM

WGTSky:
    Your Average Score will be based on ONLY your best scores, so completing a bad round will not negatively impact your Average Score or Tier. So be sure to finish all your rounds and gain the extra experience points, as a bad day won’t matter.   

If "bad" scores can somehow be eliminated from the averages, does this not mean that people will advance quicker through the tiers ? This could be of concern to players like me who play within their tier/average by completing ranked rounds on ALL courses, thereby giving a "true" average. Will WGT therefore be cherrypicking scores from, say, just Kiawah and SA, but not Oakmont ?

Please can you clarify what is meant by this statement

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Thu, Oct 21 2010 12:53 PM

I like it, sounds like progress, but SKY one big thing missing. 

Big thing to me is match play stats.  You should integrate some Match Play stats into Tier.  Like if you are beating a certain percentage of your own tier, or you are beating a certain percentage of the next tier.

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Thu, Oct 21 2010 1:01 PM

It does sound like progress.   I like the idea of bad round not affecting your average, which would help curb future sandbagging or eliminate it all together.    With this said it would not help eliminate any that exist now, that no longer play ranked rounds.

Cheers

RSS