Forums

Help › Forums

New Average Scores

Sun, Sep 2 2018 5:54 PM (136 replies)
  • VilaRestal
    95 Posts
    Wed, Oct 27 2010 4:15 PM

But they should have no effect at all.

"Your Average Score will be based on ONLY your best scores, so completing a bad round will not negatively impact your Average Score or Tier."

That is what would happen with the old system. A bad round would push a good round off the last 14 so fewer to go by so the score goes up a bit.

And like I said, the scores of people who haven't played ranked stroke play games remain the same. Therefore, the same scoring system.

Not meaning to pry, but I wanted to check: The best 10 scores of your last 14 are 68, 66, 70, 72, 67, 70, 70, 68, 70, 68 = average 68.9.

Seems in keeping with the old system to me.

One way to be sure would be to score 180 on every hole for 14 rounds. My bet is anyone who did that would still get an average score of 180 as per the old system. Any volunteers?

• JohnHancock
    1,905 Posts
    Thu, Oct 28 2010 4:28 AM

Just shot a 30 and my average went UP from 64.1 to 64.9!  Wishing I had hit a 40 now, in which case it would have maybe stayed the same lol.

• PGAbound67
    565 Posts
    Thu, Oct 28 2010 5:33 AM

JohnHancock:

Just shot a 30 and my average went UP from 64.1 to 64.9!  Wishing I had hit a 40 now, in which case it would have maybe stayed the same lol.

Yeah, they screwed something up. They say that ONLY your best scores will count toward your average.....Well, I just shot a 28 in the Wk44 9 hole and my average went from 61.25 to 61.99....went up 3/4 of a stroke while tying my best 9 hole score lol.

• mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Thu, Oct 28 2010 9:22 AM

VilaRestal:

Not meaning to pry, but I wanted to check: The best 10 scores of your last 14 are 68, 66, 70, 72, 67, 70, 70, 68, 70, 68 = average 68.9.

Now that you've done that  - I see nothing has changed. I thought my last 14 rounds would look much worse than that though.

• WGTadmin
    1,166 Posts
    Thu, Oct 28 2010 12:16 PM

The new Average Scores algorithm went live with last night's update. Testing indicates that the system is behaving as expected.

Due to the nature of the change in calculations, some players may experience a slight increase in average related to the first score posted after the update. This is expected behavior and you will see your average normalize shortly thereafter. 

We will continue to watch the data and your reports for possible problems.  As always, please right click and file bug reports from in-game, or post to the bug forum otherwise (http://wgt.com/forums/13.aspx)

Thank you.

• stencil
    455 Posts
    Thu, Oct 28 2010 1:24 PM

How about weighting the scores to get some more action on bethpage and oakmont because most players (including me) play the 2 easier courses st. andrews and Kiawah. Because for me a 70 avg. a good round is +4 or +5 at oak or beth which hurts your avg.. Where a good round is -4 or -5 at kia or st. andy which helps your avg.  

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Thu, Oct 28 2010 3:44 PM

I do not see any change in my average irrespective of what I score. It seems to have moved 0.02 over my last 6 scores.

• mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Thu, Oct 28 2010 4:47 PM

tiffer67:

I do not see any change in my average irrespective of what I score. It seems to have moved 0.02 over my last 6 scores.

You have played many ranked games as a legend. I rend Sky's initial post and it says it takes your all time best scores in the particular tier you are in. So provided you have played over a certain number of stroke games in your tier - your avg should not be affected by bad games.

That is what I think the algorithm is about.

• rockinroland
    214 Posts
    Thu, Oct 28 2010 8:17 PM

I will be legend in about a week. I dont play for money so no reason to sandbag. before my average reflected my skill level. I cant play oakmont worth a damd best I have done there is 2under par. My average was 67.98 before the changes . I shoot 2 good games out of ten and my average falls to 66. a good game for me is 4 or 5 under par . the rest of the games were 2under to 3 over(that was oakmont). It STINKS of wgt forcing people into tiers before they are ready , knowing they will try the new legends balls at a 145 credits a pop has anyone seen the new driver for newbies?and the new irons as well? both cost more than any other driver or iron set.. this smacks of a company milking all they can from thier customers before shuting the doors.this new system SUCKS!!! 

• VilaRestal
    95 Posts
    Fri, Oct 29 2010 12:17 AM

WGTadmin:

some players may experience a slight increase in average related to the first score posted after the update.

That explains why the scores of people who haven't played a ranked stroke play round since before the change haven't been affected: The new Average Score algorithm only takes affect if/when someone posts such a score.

So, this will have absolutely no effect on MPC sandbaggers. It will eventually force tournament sandbaggers out the market (at the expense of all the rest of us having artificially low scores and, eventually, inappropriate tiers) but they will just become MPC sandbaggers - and, if they have any sense, they will make that change immediately and remain unaffected by this change. And as the rest of us eventually get promoted to harder tiers the MPC sandbagger will be immune and have an even easier time of it.

Couldn't be bothered to apply it to all accounts WGTadmin?

But, I suppose, so long as you never play MPC against someone you don't know (or check their score history very carefully before), which you'd be well advised not to, the tournaments are now a bit fairer.

The fact that everyone will eventually be promoted to an unsuitable tier that will require spending many credits coping with (or giving up on ever doing well or never play again) is obviously just an unfortunate unavoidable side-effect that WGT deeply regrets.

RSS