Forums

Help › Forums

New Average Scores

Sun, Sep 2 2018 5:54 PM (136 replies)
  • flagpro
    20 Posts
    Wed, Nov 3 2010 10:33 PM

then tell me this,why am i still tour pro when i have accomplished everything you guys have thrown at me.Im at LVL 55 And have an AVG of 67.92  .Also i wanna know why i have not recieved the 75 credits for a survey i completed 2 freakin weeks ago when it says instant.I think im gettin screwed here.

• BriRock
    148 Posts
    Thu, Nov 4 2010 6:04 AM

To me the new average scoring system resembles (or may actually be) the standard USGA handicap system...which for those of you who don't know is the following formula...

(Your Score - Course Rating) X 113 / Slope Rating = Score Differential

Example:

Score = 85
    Course Rating = 72
    Slope Rating = 123

The actual calculation would now look like this:

(85 – 72)  X  113 / 123 = 11.94

You need a minimum of 5 and a max of 20 rounds to have a legit handicap...in this case WGT has chosen a fixed number (some say 10, others 14..personally i think its closer to 20 as 1 round out of 10 would move your "average" more than 1 round out of 20...which seems to be the case).

Every course has a Slope Rating, and a Course Rating. 

USGA Course Rating is an evaluation of the difficulty of a golf course for scratch golfers. Actually, the number is an estimate of the average scores of the best 50-percent of rounds played by scratch golfers at the course being rated.  Course rating is very easy to understand because it is expressed in strokes. A par-72 course that is easy might have a course rating of 68.9; one that is difficult might have a course rating of 74.5.

USGA Slope Rating is a number ranging from 55 to 155 that represents the difficulty of a course for bogey golfers relative to the USGA Course Rating (which represents the difficulty for scratch golfers).  Slope rating is not expressed in strokes, but, rather, is a ratio. The higher the slope, the more difficult the course plays for bogey golfers. A slope rating of 113 is considered average.

The following table explains how many rounds are used in computing a hadicap..

(this is where i beleive WGT is using a different formula, and perhaps taking the calculations from all 20 rounds, not the ten, so its your 20 best rounds i think).

Rounds................Rounds To Use

5-6.......................1 Lowest
    7-8.......................2 Lowest
    9-10.....................3 Lowest
    11-12...................4 Lowest
    13-14...................5 Lowest
    15-16...................6 Lowest
    17........................7 Lowest
    18........................8 Lowest
    19........................9 Lowest
    20......................10 Lowest

The last step will produce your golf handicap.  For example we will use the number of rounds played as the maximum of 20. With 20 rounds played you will use your 10 best scores. First you will total your 10 best score differentials created in step 1. Total the 10 best differentials and then divide by the number of rounds, 10. The last part of the calculation is to take the last calculation and multiply this number by .96 (96%) and keep 2 decimals with no rounding. This is your Hadicap index.  Now if you reverse this number (subtract it from 72), i believe it will be pretty close to your average.

The handicap system goes much further when playing different course, as not all courses are rated the same, so you would take your hadicap index, insert it into a different formula, and get your "course hadicap" for each individual course you play...you are not the same hadicap at all courses because some are harder than others, i.e. you may be an 8 at one course, and a 7 or a 9 at others.  WGT does not go this far with the averaging system because your average would change from Kia, to BPB, to STA, which it does not.

Also they do not use "equitable stroke control" which is  system that only let's you take a certain number of strokes (or a maximum number of strokes) on any given hole based on your course handicap...meaning you cannot take a 10 on a hole if you are a 7 handicap, i think the worst you can card is a double bogey.

So if someone wants to do the math out on their most recent10, 15, and 20 best rounds to see how it computes i would be interested to know, however not interested enough to do it for myself. The problem being there are 4 different courses to take slopes and ratings from, where WGT is using only one rating, and one slope for their formula...you would probably have to average the slopes and ratings of all 4 courses to get the two numbers you need for the formula.

EDIT**  I think one thing i failed to mention in all of this is that which ever scores they are using to calculate your average, it is based off the most recent ones...so lets say they use the 20 best out of your 30 most recent scores...as soon as you shoot score #31, score #1drops out...now that may or may not affect your average if score #1 was not one of your 20 best, and vice versa.   Also if say score #31 is a -3 (3 under par) and it kicks out score # 1 of even (even par), and score # 1 was being counted as one of your best 20 scores, then your average will drop...it all depends on what order your scores are shot in...if you have a decent streak of rounds, say five in a row, when it comes time for those five scores to be replaced, and they are replaced with better scores, you can expect your average to drop a bit faster, as five out of the top 20 are being replaced with better scores.  Of course one can still sandbag, but it becomes more difficult, as you have to now shoot many more (10 +) bad rounds in a row, or close together, to affect your handicap...Now in real life this is not possible anywhere there is a handicap committee who checks cards, as you cannot play 10 rounds a day like you can here...but it is still IMO much easier to see if someone is attempting to raise their handicap because they must now shoot many consecutive bad rounds... EDIT**

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Nov 4 2010 6:41 AM

BriRock:
    The problem being there are 4 different courses to take slopes and ratings from, where WGT is using only one rating, and one slope for their formula...you would probably have to average the slopes and ratings of all 4 courses to get the two numbers you need for the formula.

They might be using all the ratings because the drop is not numerically consistent. By that I mean a 32 at Kiawah today with and average of 66.1 dropped it to 66.04 (.06 less.) Yesterday, at SA I believe it was, shooting 1 stroke less than my average dropped it .08. Same scenario, different course, different drop, probably because the course ratings are different. Just a WAG.

• isolater
    426 Posts
    Thu, Nov 4 2010 7:28 AM

anybody know  what  avg  's  you need to change tiers  i e to go from hack to amature,amature to pro,pro to  tour pro etc ?

• BriRock
    148 Posts
    Thu, Nov 4 2010 9:03 AM

YankeeJim:
    They might be using all the ratings because the drop is not numerically consistent. By that I mean a 32 at Kiawah today with and average of 66.1 dropped it to 66.04 (.06 less.) Yesterday, at SA I believe it was, shooting 1 stroke less than my average dropped it .08. Same scenario, different course, different drop, probably because the course ratings are different. Just a WAG

YJ...You may be, and are probably right...to me it doesn't seem that hard for them to program a different formula for each course...I personally have not been able to make much sense of how my average is affected based on what i shoot, and on where i shot it...mostly because i'm not really paying that much attention to my average...either way they have moved much closer to an actual handicap system, although not actually calling it so...which IMO is better than what they had...Wondering if they can't call it a handicap because they perhaps are not endorsed by USGA???or are they???

• mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Thu, Nov 4 2010 9:36 AM

YankeeJim:
    They might be using all the ratings because the drop is not numerically consistent. By that I mean a 32 at Kiawah today with and average of 66.1 dropped it to 66.04 (.06 less.) Yesterday, at SA I believe it was, shooting 1 stroke less than my average dropped it .08. Same scenario, different course, different drop, probably because the course ratings are different. Just a WAG

I think you are right two rounds of 34 on bethpage took 0.2 off my avg - thats 0.1 a game.

• nep1
    17 Posts
    Thu, Nov 4 2010 9:53 AM
    My average has not changed in over two weeks even though I play a ranked round or two every day. Is this normal or is my average hung up? I have been trying to get to the next tier and want to make sure my scores are counting for something. Thank you. NEP1
  • mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Thu, Nov 4 2010 12:39 PM

Unless you shoot under your avg, it won't change but that is not all. Playing many stroke rounds means that you are above the "number of rounds required to move up" and if your avg subsequently drops below the "required average" you will. It is not just about avg anymore - there was an guy with an avg of 64 who was still an amateur when I last checked.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Nov 4 2010 1:53 PM

You got it, mo. Plus, there are probably a few more things factored in.

• daddyo6
    1 Posts
    Tue, Nov 9 2010 3:37 PM

Tyhanks for clearing things up

RSS