Sun, Sep 2 2018 5:54 PM (136 replies)
  • Kaslo
    428 Posts
    Fri, Oct 29 2010 12:29 PM

• DaveHeathcote
    90 Posts
    Sat, Oct 30 2010 1:56 AM

SUGGESTION TO WGT:

As the 'Average Score' is evolving further and further from this, why not avoid all this confusion and simply change it's name to 'Player Rating'.

I think the changes are a good thing, eliminate sandbagging and provide a reasonable indication of a players potential, i.e. what they can hope to score on a good day.  It's actually a good step towards a handicap system that alot of people have been suggesting.  Won't stop quitters as there will always be people who can't be bothered to complete a bad round but will at least stop this being done to effect average score (although with level system there really seems no point to this other than ego).

Also, in terms of MPC sandbagging, as a quick hit can WGT not show MPC record as well as ave. score on player selection page?  An amateur with a winning record against higher tiers would soon stand out as a MPC cowboy.

Longer term, why not introduce an MPC rating system?  As an outline, if player A has 12.0 and player B has 10.0 this would indicate a 'par' result would mean player A wins by 2 holes.  If this is the result ratings remain unchanged, any deviation and rating would be adjusted up/down accordingly (similar to ICC world cricket rating approach).  Fairly embryonic idea but thought I'd float it, although I'm sure it's not a new idea.

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Sat, Oct 30 2010 5:23 AM

DaveHeathcote:
    Also, in terms of MPC sandbagging, as as quick hit can WGT not show MPC record as well as ave. score on player selection page?  An amateur with a winning record against higher tiers would soon stand out as a MPC cowboy

This would be a nice feature to see when a player enters a MPC game room before the match commences.  I currently search the players match play stats before accepting a match with them.  I look to see if there are any things that stand out as a master or tour master who beats legends regularly.

Cheers

• WalnutsX
    1 Posts
    Sat, Oct 30 2010 9:09 AM

Are there actual averages scored and/or number of rounds which would move a played from Amateur to Pro?

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sat, Oct 30 2010 12:02 PM

Hey WGTicon,

Congrats on the new position, I was stumped last night when I saw you had posted.

There seems to be something wrong with the new average system. I'm posting some decent scores and my average isn't moving. I've been stuck at a 67 for several days now. When I post a round at par or above, I notice my average creeping-up. Shouldn't our average go down when we post rounds that are under par? I'm not asking for the formula, but there seems to be an anomaly with the way WGT is calculating our avaerages.

It's going to be real difficult to advance tiers with this current state of average calculation. I'd like to get some thoughts on this.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Oct 30 2010 12:46 PM

Richard4168:
    but there seems to be an anomaly with the way WGT is calculating our avaerages.

I've been a 65-68 golfer forever with an occasional dip to 63-64. Since I post everything it's easy for me to see what affects my average. In the past it used to change accordingly as each round was posted. 

Now, after the update and the first round played I was at 66.8. Since that round the only thing that changes my average is rounds under 33/66. There was another poster that commented his average hasn't changed in 2 days. Mine hasn't either and I've had 34/35/36/37 rounds since. No change-stayed at 66.8. Then I shot a 31 and it changed to 66.72~.08 points less!

This seems to be in keeping with the way the new average calculation was described. The higher than average rounds are not affecting the average like they used to.

• mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Sat, Oct 30 2010 1:14 PM

WalnutsX:

Are there actual averages scored and/or number of rounds which would move a played from Amateur to Pro?

Yes that is correct. WGTSky said "Advancing to the next Tier requires a qualifying Average Score AND a minimum amount of completed stroke play games".

Hope that helps 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Oct 30 2010 1:56 PM

I think he was looking for a number, mo.

@Walnuts- mo is correct but if you were looking for an actual known number you're out of luck. WGT keeps that a secret for obvious reasons.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Sat, Oct 30 2010 1:56 PM

YankeeJim:

Richard4168:
    but there seems to be an anomaly with the way WGT is calculating our avaerages.

I've been a 65-68 golfer forever with an occasional dip to 63-64. Since I post everything it's easy for me to see what affects my average. In the past it used to change accordingly as each round was posted. 

Now, after the update and the first round played I was at 66.8. Since that round the only thing that changes my average is rounds under 33/66. There was another poster that commented his average hasn't changed in 2 days. Mine hasn't either and I've had 34/35/36/37 rounds since. No change-stayed at 66.8. Then I shot a 31 and it changed to 66.72~.08 points less!

This seems to be in keeping with the way the new average calculation was described. The higher than average rounds are not affecting the average like they used to.

Even much lower scores don't change your average very much any more. Last night I started the single play 18 tourney with an average of 70.8. I shot my best round so far. a -6 64 @ BPB and my average only dropped .08 to 70.72. The way the new average system is working will help the lower tier players because the advancement in tiers will be a little slower and they will be able to advance in levels unlocking the clubs they need when they do advance in the tier system.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Oct 30 2010 2:09 PM

I see another side of it, btb. Take the guy that tanks every 4th or 5th round to keep the average up-can't do that now, it won't make a difference. If that's the case then shooting low scores to win tournaments is going to add up and the average will go down leading to a tier promotion. Ultimately, you'll wind up where you belong.

Players like myself will eventually get there but only after you  prove, in the long run, your average is real by playing a lot and scoring below your average more often than higher.

I would think the average drop would accelerate as the frequency of the sub-average rounds occurs. That is to say that .08 drop we both saw might get bigger as those -6 rounds happen faster. JMO

RSS