Forums

Help › Forums

First ever WGT LIVE player event

Sat, Sep 20 2014 9:20 AM (67 replies)
  • Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Sep 17 2014 8:16 PM

Never turn down a free jolly I guess, but not sure I would want it.  OK not going to be offered, but sounds like a hiding to nothing money aside.

Won't be anything independently set up and verified game play wise, and so shoot a 51 and everyone will just say different game given.  Shoot a 63 and it will be see can't do it.............What a flippin deal.

Still being finalised I appreciate but the above possible (?) scenario......pfft stuff that for a game of soldiers if I were one of them. No such thing as a free lunch I guess.

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Wed, Sep 17 2014 8:44 PM

bhoese:

This is what it used to say:

WGTfineprint:

The Top 64 players who have the most accumulated credits from the Virtual Tour events thru November in each of the Pro thru Tour Legend tiers, will qualify for the Virtual Tour Championship (Dec 2-7 online) with a record purse of 1,000,000 credits. Players will compete against players in their same tier, so there will be champions for the Pro thru Tour Legend tier, with the ultimate Tour Legend champion earning over 100,000 credits

What is the Virtual Tour invitational live event?

The Top 4 players in the Tour Legend tier from the Virtual Tour Championship will also be invited to attend and play at the Virtual Tour Live Invitational (Dec 12-14 in Orlando) where they will compete head-to-head for $25,000 dollars in cash and prizes, in front of WGT fans and Golf Channel cameras.

Any WGT player will also be able to sign up to attend the Virtual Tour Live Invitational (Dec 12-14 in Orlando) to watch the top players compete, while spending a weekend of real and virtual golf with other WGT players from around the world. Signup will be available in mid 2014 and all attendees and CONTESTANTS will be responsible for their travel, lodging and meal expenses.

And now...

WGTnews:

The top four Tour Legends in the Virtual Tour Championship will be based on Tour Legends who can attend WGT LIVE using their rank in the 2014 Virtual Tour season standings as of Dec 1st.

Soooo, it's based on the full Virtual Tour season now, which is what a lot of players thought it was in the first place...unless it isn't, because if the Virtual Tour season sandings are used, why even mention the Virtual Tour Championship?

Unless they scratched the whole top 64 thing in favor of the Top Four Who Can Make It To Orlando, and they're calling that the virtual Tour Championship now.

Wow.  I put forth almost no effort grinding the unlimited the last few months thinking make the top 64 was the important thing.  What a mess.  This totally rewards people dominating the much easier legend tourneys and being promoted to TL midway thru the year.

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Wed, Sep 17 2014 10:07 PM

BolloxInBruges:
    This totally rewards people dominating the much easier legend tourneys and being promoted to TL midway thru the year.

Definitely. Spot on !!!

I'd like to see the list (4 TL's) before I pay $213.00. I have a feeling that the TL's will all be U.S. citizens. Then again, this whole thing is confusing.

Until WGT announce some more specifics, I don't think anyone is going to fork over $200.00+ just to hang out, eat, get "tips", and watch just any TL play (not to mention rooms, food, travel costs, etc). And, w/o putting the word out of who is going to play, the Golf Channel will be the thing to do, thus leaving the ballroom resembling WGT's office (just employees). 

I really want to go. I think it will be fun, and entertaining. And, I would love to watch the best play LIVE.

I noticed that no "venue" has been determined (I'm assuming it will be chosen after WGT determines how many people will be there -- very, very few if it's a crap-shoot of nobodies playing LIVE).

• Fraenkel
    2,252 Posts
    Wed, Sep 17 2014 11:23 PM

What I would like to understand is if this event was really necessary knowing that the members of WGT are scattered here and there in the world.

I mean, I'm sorry I could not participate, I would love to have a tour and take with me some players of my club and meet all my message board mates (even those with which I was confronted) , but at that time I definitely will be working and probably by that time I will not have extra money to invest like I do now for Nike balls (and think that some dude gave me cocaine addict), this one unless I win some money on istant lottery.

The second important thing to doi is to prepare a full coverage spot, WGT Media will be the difference, for players that would but can not, or will not, and that's because we are a community and that is none a minor detail, but surely it is not necessary to suggest.

Disappointed and unmotivated.

• oilyrag
    875 Posts
    Thu, Sep 18 2014 1:03 AM

BolloxInBruges:

What a mess.  This totally rewards people dominating the much easier legend tourneys and being promoted to TL midway thru the year.

it was said back in february that tiering up would lead to a farce.

there needs to be a single qualification tourney at the start of the year to decide which "tier" everyone plays in .... anyone that doesn't play in the qualification is automatically put in the lowest group ..... then that's it for the year....

• stevereilly
    5,910 Posts
    Thu, Sep 18 2014 1:58 AM

I would really like to go,   not sure at the moment if the funds are there.   I've never been to Orlando before.

To be honest, I'm a TL who cannot compete with the top TL's. It'll be interesting to meet them guys I aspire to. 

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Thu, Sep 18 2014 2:17 AM

This could be interesting to watch.  Are the contestants bringing their own computers, or are they supplied......

• 8buster8
    649 Posts
    Thu, Sep 18 2014 3:40 AM

from New York Times article  Video Gamers Draw Real Crowds and Big Money

• Fraenkel
    2,252 Posts
    Thu, Sep 18 2014 4:43 AM

Infinito3010:

This could be interesting to watch. 
    Are the contestants bringing their own computers, or are they supplied.

Cape Canareval is in Florida so they might ask for they computers and give a f**k goodbay to the space station (so long guys, we play virtual golf spacedudes) and finally no one can complains or whining for VEM or meter glitch and stuttering, and jumping and stopping, so cool.

Imagine how fluid would be the meter, looks like a lavalamp and with the technical support of Golf Channel that should will film everything so maybe even WGT will see what we wrote about years.

Don't even forget to carry your own mouse.

• alosso
    21,038 Posts
    Thu, Sep 18 2014 12:00 PM

8buster8:

from New York Times article  Video Gamers Draw Real Crowds and Big Money

This is what they might expect - Real Crowds and Big Money from a WGT show - thousands of enthusiasts paying a fee worth Madison Square Garden entertainment to follow live gaming by a few stars. I'm curious what we'll see eventually.

RSS