Forums

Help › Forums

First ever WGT LIVE player event

Sat, Sep 20 2014 9:20 AM (67 replies)
  • fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 5:24 PM

Has anyone thought this live WGT final through? It seems a bit far-fetched to expect 4 players to learn the result of the Virtual Tour at the end of Dec 4th, then get to Orlando for the Dec 5-7th. The cost of last minute plane tickets and accommodation, just 3 weeks before Xmas, will be spectacularly high and out of reach of many given that WGT says they will not be paying for these. Perhaps, because of this, it will end up being a US player only event which would be unfortunate, especially given the level of criticism WGT already draws for hosting US only events. And any qualifier that cannot afford to go may then be branded a cheat by some for not being able to appear in a live final.

WGT is already charging for tickets for this event despite the fact that they cannot guarantee the appearance of the top 4 Virtual Tour players. If any of the top 4 find they cannot play, there does not appear to be enough time to organise replacement players.

Hopefully the Tour Championship at the beginning of Dec will be moved to an earlier time in Nov to allow for a little organisational leeway....

• opyeuclid
    6,704 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 5:32 PM

iaa R ( R ) V ft 

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 5:54 PM

fmagnets:
    It seems a bit far-fetched to expect 4 players to learn the result of the Virtual Tour at the end of Dec 4th

Maybe :-) the "chosen" ones are already "chosen" ;-)

fmagnets:
    WGT is already charging for tickets for this event despite the fact that they cannot guarantee the appearance of the top 4 Virtual Tour players

I'm buying a ticket (I live fairly close, and have family in Orlando). "Maybe" the top 4 have already been notified ;-)

We'll just have to see. I may need to go back and read it again, but I thought it said just "4 Top WGT Players. I am probably wrong, as that would definitely seem prejudiced to have 4 players "chosen" by someone. If it's the Top 4 of the VT, how can it be guaranteed that they will be available those days? I would like to see 2 weeks of forum voting for a top 10, and the top 4 get the invites, and if one can't make it, move to the 5th vote getter, and so on.

It is odd that they are, in essence, guaranteeing the Top 4 players will be there. No matter, I will be there :-). It sounds like it will be a fun, and educational 3 days.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 6:05 PM

fmagnets:

WGT is already charging for tickets for this event despite the fact that they cannot guarantee the appearance of the top 4 Virtual Tour players.

What??? You saying people would pay money to watch other people play this game? What the heck is wrong with this world?

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 6:42 PM

jayw4862:

I may need to go back and read it again, but I thought it said just "4 Top WGT Players. I am probably wrong, as that would definitely seem prejudiced to have 4 players "chosen" by someone. If it's the Top 4 of the VT, how can it be guaranteed that they will be available those days?

WGT News today: "Watch the 4 top Tour Legends from the WGT Virtual Tour compete live in the Virtual Tour Championship, hosted by WGT and Golf Channel."

Not much point having a year-long VT if the top 4 players from it are not chosen for the live final. But it also seems a bold claim that the top 4 players will be there. As the Tour Championship finishing on Dec 4 is for 1 million credits, the top 4 cannot possibly be decided before this.

If they happen to send me an invite by mistake, you can book me in with your rellies too Jay!!

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 6:45 PM

I'm confused now. The VT page says the Championship will be played Dec.1 -Dec. 4. The "Live" package says you can watch the Top 4 compete for the Championship on Dec 6th (I believe that's the date) 'live". Now, does that entail watching the Top 4 play via twitch.tv or some streaming video, or actually being in the same room as the players? I'm going no matter what, but some clarification would be nice. Maybe it's worded wrong.

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 6:51 PM

fmagnets:
    If they happen to send me an invite by mistake, you can book me in with your rellies too Jay!!

That's the only reason I was driving down there. :-)

Well, and to do some WGT brown-nosing in the hopes it that my VEM is reduced to a minimum.

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 7:21 PM

CerinoDevoti:
    What??? You saying people would pay money to watch other people play this game? What the heck is wrong with this world?

I said the same thing many years ago when they took apartment complexes and turned them into condominiums.

People will buy and do almost anything 

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 7:33 PM

In case the top 2-3 thousand TL's can't make it I formally decline the invite today!

Ticket mean playing on a Big Screen, tough to do with little or no practice but to have a good show I'm betting VEM is 0%...

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 7:33 PM

jayw4862:

some clarification would be nice. 

The Tour Championship is a fairly normal Virtual Tour event, the culmination of the Virtual Tour, played for by the top-however-many-players in each tier.

The Top 4 Tour Legends then go to this live thing in Orlando, should they decide that the potential rewards outweigh the possibly humungous costs of travelling there.

RSS