Forums

Help › Forums

First ever WGT LIVE player event

Sat, Sep 20 2014 9:20 AM (67 replies)
  • DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Wed, Sep 17 2014 7:20 AM

I feel that the players participating will be all expenses paid, and should be. They should also have the option of playing on their laptop or one provided. I wouldn`t want to try to play staring at a large screen.

I live 40 minutes away from Orlando and I don`t need Hotels or Dinner, Airfare or anything else for that matter. I would have liked to meet some of the players that I see their names so often. But $200 (earlybird) is too much. I live here year around, this is not a vacation spot for me. I can imagine players from Europe, wanting to go, and is too bad. They should have a central spot in Europe holding the convention at the same time, with a live feed to each location.

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Wed, Sep 17 2014 7:22 AM

I'm curious as to why no one from WGT has chimed in, and explained things. I went to the site to pay, and after reading the terms, and debating if this is really going to happen or not, I am a little apprehensive. Everything is pretty vague. 

• kam4122
    1,695 Posts
    Wed, Sep 17 2014 7:28 AM

I can't imagine WGT would announce the top 4 players from the VT taking part, without actually asking them if they are ok to attend. One would have to assume it would be the top 4 as of a certain date. May be worth asking any of the current top 4 in the VT if this is already booked.

Great stuff though, will look to see how I can get golf channel just to see the guys in action, hope none of them shoot 76 as the forums wouldn't be able to cope with the traffic!

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Wed, Sep 17 2014 7:54 AM

PaulTon:

DodgyPutter:
    Apart from that some may simply be too shy, an event like this would be completely different to playing in the broom cupboard.

A fly on the wall in DodgyPutters house??

The occasional whack with a poker fair enough, but these wall are cruel and unusual punishment.

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Wed, Sep 17 2014 8:11 AM

I get Golf Channel,but I wonder if you can stream it like I do for Pro Football

• Fraenkel
    2,252 Posts
    Wed, Sep 17 2014 8:21 AM

Don, sssssh.

Do not say so openly, as already said, this is also might be considered cheating.

• WGTdbloshoe
    2,840 Posts
    Wed, Sep 17 2014 11:48 AM

I know there is some unkowns here.  I am trying to get as much information as possible to be able to get everyone a better picture of what is going on.  There are some things that can't be answered until we know a good estimate of how many players will be at this event. 

Also on a side note, if you are planning on attending and want to take a tour of the Golf Channel studio, make sure you get a ticket for that.  There is a limited number.  There is no cost for that ticket.

- WGTdbloshoe

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Wed, Sep 17 2014 12:07 PM

My guess is the only people there are WGT employees, Golf Channel employees and Wgt members who live near by. It is a terrible time of year to be traveling. Way to expensive to pay that kind of money to watch a virtual golf game. Besides you can get all the tips you want or need in the forums.

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Wed, Sep 17 2014 4:20 PM

russellfahey:

From what i remember(but can't seem to find original thread) I thought the prizes were $25,000 pot for the winners plus real golf equiptment also.If this is the case then they will recover more than the price of the air fair and accomodation surely.

I recall this from somewhere too, but I think it said $25K worth of prizes. If it is cash that will cover expenses for even the 4th place finisher, great. But if it is various kit pitched in by the sponsors of this years VT events, and maybe some green fees at courses with which WGT has links, then it would be a tough call. It would be hard to justify a few grand's worth of air fares/accom/taxis if the resulting prize was $5K's worth of over-priced shirts, golf gear that all golfers will already own, or green fees at some US courses that would require further expense to travel to and redeem.

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Wed, Sep 17 2014 7:58 PM

This is what it used to say:

WGTfineprint:

The Top 64 players who have the most accumulated credits from the Virtual Tour events thru November in each of the Pro thru Tour Legend tiers, will qualify for the Virtual Tour Championship (Dec 2-7 online) with a record purse of 1,000,000 credits. Players will compete against players in their same tier, so there will be champions for the Pro thru Tour Legend tier, with the ultimate Tour Legend champion earning over 100,000 credits

What is the Virtual Tour invitational live event?

The Top 4 players in the Tour Legend tier from the Virtual Tour Championship will also be invited to attend and play at the Virtual Tour Live Invitational (Dec 12-14 in Orlando) where they will compete head-to-head for $25,000 dollars in cash and prizes, in front of WGT fans and Golf Channel cameras.

Any WGT player will also be able to sign up to attend the Virtual Tour Live Invitational (Dec 12-14 in Orlando) to watch the top players compete, while spending a weekend of real and virtual golf with other WGT players from around the world. Signup will be available in mid 2014 and all attendees and CONTESTANTS will be responsible for their travel, lodging and meal expenses.

And now...

WGTnews:

The top four Tour Legends in the Virtual Tour Championship will be based on Tour Legends who can attend WGT LIVE using their rank in the 2014 Virtual Tour season standings as of Dec 1st.

Soooo, it's based on the full Virtual Tour season now, which is what a lot of players thought it was in the first place...unless it isn't, because if the Virtual Tour season sandings are used, why even mention the Virtual Tour Championship?

Unless they scratched the whole top 64 thing in favor of the Top Four Who Can Make It To Orlando, and they're calling that the virtual Tour Championship now.

RSS