Forums

Help › Forums

UEL Tour: Spring 2014 edition

Fri, Jun 27 2014 1:46 PM (149 replies)
  • fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Mon, Apr 14 2014 7:25 PM

It's low wind, so it helps. I'm a little annoyed I got off to a slow start because it was my first round this evening and I had no rhythm. But from the 3rd onwards, every shot bar one was inside 7 feet, so putting was not much of an issue. 

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Mon, Apr 14 2014 9:24 PM

fmagnets:

It's low wind, so it helps. I'm a little annoyed I got off to a slow start because it was my first round this evening and I had no rhythm. But from the 3rd onwards, every shot bar one was inside 7 feet, so putting was not much of an issue. 

WGT really needs to make better virtual clubs.  I want Bubba's 360 yard driver and 180 yard pitching wedge!

Seriously though, great shooting by Mags, TallAcePaul and Cyberete.

• BigInigoMontoya
    208 Posts
    Mon, Apr 14 2014 9:44 PM

Speaking of uneven lies, will there be a 2014 edition of Tough It Out??? Now that I'm somewhat employed I'm not sure if I'd have time to participate, but I'd like to sponsor a prize for those brave enough to answer the call.

bhoese:
    WGT really needs to make better virtual clubs.  I want Bubba's 360 yard driver and 180 yard pitching wedge!

180 yards with a wedge??  Almost doesn't seem possible.  Back when I was an active golfer in real life I was lucky if I could get a 6i to go 180...and that was with a tail wind!!!!!!  My dear old King Cobra II oversized irons, oh how I miss them so.  

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Tue, Apr 15 2014 8:03 AM

bhoese:

Damn right, even with the friendly lies Bethpage offers that's still amazing scoring.

I'm delighted to have broken 60 for the first time in UEL.  Could have been better but I took a 3 iron off the 2nd tee to get a flat lie and clicked way too early (it must be habit on that hole) and into the left rough.  I saved par but it could easily have been a birdie.

And I'd love to know what happened on this drive.  Full power and dinged, very strange.  A par where birdie is usually guaranteed. 

Oh well, still well happy with the end result.

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Tue, Apr 15 2014 8:54 AM

MainzMan:

And I'd love to know what happened on this drive.  Full power and dinged, very strange.  A par where birdie is usually guaranteed. 

Looks like you may have forgotten to put any backspin on it. That would be about the right carry for a no spin drive....

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Apr 15 2014 9:33 AM

bhoese:

MainzMan:
    Damn right, even with the friendly lies Bethpage offers that's still amazing scoring.

Wow, guys! I'll add my congrats for those outstanding scores. That sets quite the bar for this week.

Last time around, in the Winter Tour at Bethpage, Mags got the perfect 18, what we believe to be the first-ever perfect UEL full 18... so it's understandable that he's a tiny bit disappointed with a 54, lol!

And bravo MainzMan on breaking 60 in UEL. It's great to see everyone improving!

-------------------

BigInigoMontoya:
    Speaking of uneven lies, will there be a 2014 edition of Tough It Out??? Now that I'm somewhat employed I'm not sure if I'd have time to participate, but I'd like to sponsor a prize for those brave enough to answer the call.

Hi Inigo,

Yes, there will definitely be a 2014 Tough-It-Out. I'm not sure if there will be time in May to fit one in before everyone starts focussing on the VUSO... so more likely it will be just one this year (rather than the 2 we had in 2013), and it will be in the late Fall/Autumn after the UEL Ryder Cup with 'fancy clubs' ... and of course, we'll then be able to include Pinehurst among the four courses.

And thanks for the offer to sponsor a prize!

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Tue, Apr 15 2014 9:39 AM

fmagnets:

Looks like you may have forgotten to put any backspin on it. That would be about the right carry for a no spin drive....

I put a tiny bit on, I was hoping for some extra roll.

Lesson learned though, thanks.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Tue, Apr 15 2014 9:40 AM

And thanks Corwyn, sure felt good to see a 50 something with my name by it.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, Apr 17 2014 10:28 PM

wk15 credit prizes were allocated earlier today, so I've updated the spreadsheet with the latest credit standings.

Week 15 (2nd time around at Olympic) saw a super win by KonradOse in the TL tour, coming in late on with a 58 to pip the 60s from Dazza and Javier.

In Legend tier, cricketrules came out top with a fine 62. Once more, I had a great chance to catch the leader, reaching the 16th tee at -7 with three potential birdie holes to go… but couldn't make bird on any of them (just like at Whistler two weeks earlier!). Another second place for me. 

In the respective credit standings we have a remarkable coincidence of one point separating first and second place in both TL and L tiers: Ben (bhoese) leads TL tier by 1 point from Mags (fmagnets) (with Konrad close on their heels), while in L tier Oriolus leads Corwyn by 1 point, with cricketrules and BoomBoom right behind.

--------

To see all the details view the spreadsheet, but for those who can't access the new Google Sheets, here are some snapshots of some of the Standings sheets here in the thread (note that they're only the top 35+ places, just what fits on my screen).

Click here to see the full google doc spreadsheet; once in the sheet, navigate via tabs at the bottom.

Right-click, open in new Tab, to see these images full-size

wk15 Tourney: Olympic scores:

TL credit standings:

TL 'Relative to Par' Standings:

L credit standings:

L 'Relative to Par' Standings:

TL & L Combined Credit Standings:

TL & L Combined 'Relative to Par' Standings:

And, a reminder, please note: you don't have to sign up or anything to be a part of this Tour: just play in the free weekly UEL single-play tourney, and your name will appear in the standings (so long as you shoot par or better, or finish in the credit placings in your tier).

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, Apr 18 2014 1:16 AM

fmagnets:
    ... from the 3rd onwards, every shot bar one was inside 7 feet, so putting was not much of an issue.

Well, it's not a patch on the performance of Mags and co amongst the TL big boys, but I'm very pleased to have finally finished strong to come home with a 58 in Legend tier.

I'm very impressed by Mags' ability to get almost every shot within 7 feet, as I was all over the place tonight, but was saved by some stunning putting: I finished with 162.64ft of distance made putts, which was very welcome.

Good luck to everyone else left to play this week. 

Remember, you just need to play the weekly UEL single to be automatically part of the Tour, and with 3 rounds already gone, this is the last week in which newcomers can still fit in 9 full rounds for the best chance at UEL Ryder Cup qualification (which will be mostly based on best 9 scores in the Tour).

RSS