Help › Forums

UEL Tour: Spring 2014 edition

Fri, Jun 27 2014 1:46 PM (149 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Apr 28 2014 12:37 PM

devonnnnn:
    week 16's just came in :)

... and are now in the spreadsheet! Thanks Devon.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Apr 29 2014 7:34 AM

Corwyn:
    Heads up folks!

The fact that this week's course is Best of Par 5s throws a bit of a wobbly into the Tour.

While the Bo5 course is a fascinating challenge in UEL (with its heightened risk/reward in terms of going for greens for eagles), it's not comparable to the other courses.

I'm considering whether or not it can work to include this week's tourney in the Tour (because it will distort the Scores Relative to Par significantly, and create an unfair disadvantage to someone unable to play this week).

I hope to make a final decision by the end of the day. If we do omit results from this week (for all Standings sheets, or just some of them), I will add a week to the Tour.

Also, please note that if Best of Par 3s is chosen as a course, we will definitely skip that week altogether (as it may not test UEL skills much at all!)

FYI all: I've decided to include this week's Best of Par 5s scores in the Tour, with the following adjustments:

1. I'll amend the spreadsheet to omit this week from the Averages sheet.

2. Once the results are in, I will make a calculated adjustment to the Scores Relative to Par. I'll do this by comparing the top 20 scores in each tier against the top 20 scores for a similarly 'easy' course (Bethpage) to reach a formula for each. This will then reduce the Score Relative to Par for all players accordingly for those sheets only.

3. Credits Won and Placings sheets are unaffected.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Apr 29 2014 7:40 AM

One more odd thing... perhaps related to the server issues WGT seem to be having, or slow updating of certain pages.

The Week17 BoF UEL Single leaderboard still doesn't show Prize allocations... (even after force refreshing the page) but I received my whopping 6 credits for tying 35th place yesterday afternoon (some 18 hours ago). One would expect everything to update simultaneously. Perhaps some communication link is broken in the WGT chain that might help explain some of the other loading issues going on...

Anyway, suffice to say, I can't update the Credits Standings until the tourney leaderboard itself is fully updated.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, May 3 2014 12:39 AM

Credit prizes were allocated for wk16 & wk17, and the leaderboard caught itself up Thursday I believe, so I've now updated the spreadsheet with the latest credit standings, and finally been able to make this post.

Week 17 at Best of Famous saw another win for KonradOse in the TL tour, with a 55 to pip KyRock, both surpassing earlier 56s by bhoese and Laute. Konrad's round included this handy ace on #6 (Kiawah's 17th)

In Legend tier, Martin333 won with an excellent 60 (in the harder wind conditions), just ahead of naamasula and emmalinks

Mags and Konrad have opened up a bit of a lead over Ben and Rock in the credit standings, but it's still incredibly close in the relative to par standings.

I know that there's a certain other new attraction in town... but don't forget to play your Wk18 round this weekend at Best of Par 5s. It's going to be one of the easiest courses for a low score relative to par (even though I will make an adjustment as noted above), so I wouldn't want anyone in contention to miss it while spending all their time on the sandhills of Pinehurst. niqueclyde has posted a stunning 69 in Legend tier, while in TL tier Wontonomo leads with a 73.

Note: I suspect that the Wind has switched this week: previously it has always been Low for TLs and Mod for Ls, which in some way compensates for the tougher green speed, but now the Ls have the easier wind.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Course and Schedule Update:

WGTShoe kindly gave me advance indication of the upcoming courses for the free weekly UEL singles tourneys and they are:

Wk19: Best of Par 4s

Wk20: Best of Par 3s

Wk21: Best of Famous

Wk22: Oakmont

Wk23: Cabo

Wk24: Kiawah

Wk25: Congressional

Wk26: Merion

Wk27: RSG

As indicated earlier, we will skip Wk20 Best of Par 3s (as this isn't a proper test of UEL for the top players, who are unlikely to miss the greens). This means the Tour will extend an extra week into Wk25 instead.

Personally, I could do without the preponderance of Best of courses. I'm a purist, who much prefers the integrity of one architect's vision and the rhythm and flow that comes from a genuine course routing. So, it's a shame we'll not have Merion or RSG in this rotation... nor Pinehurst itself!

I am considering whether or not to organize a side-event during Week 20, an unofficlal UEL tourney involving our new course. This might be a Best-Ball event in which players involved in this tour could pair up with someone whose schedule they know to be compatible, and we could have a 2-round Best-Ball, Worst-Ball challenge. Let me know if this idea is of interest!

--------

To see all the details view the spreadsheet, but for those who can't access the new Google Sheets, here are some snapshots of some of the Standings sheets here in the thread (note that they're only the top 35+ places, just what fits on my screen).

Click here to see the full google doc spreadsheet; once in the sheet, navigate via tabs at the bottom.

Right-click, open in new Tab, to see these images full-size

wk17 Tourney: Best of Famous scores:

TL credit standings:

TL 'Relative to Par' Standings:

L credit standings:

L 'Relative to Par' Standings:

TL & L Combined Credit Standings:

TL & L Combined 'Relative to Par' Standings:

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Sun, May 4 2014 1:22 PM

Best of par 3 in a UEL rotation? Has Shoe lost the plot? Surely it's not too late to urge the application of a modicum of common sense.....

I see we are also getting BoF again having just had it last week, but are without St A or BoH. If you are able to contact Shoe, I'd hope he could ditch Bo3 and BoF and put in these two courses instead.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Sun, May 4 2014 4:31 PM

I have to agree with Mags. BOP3 makes no sense. If we have 100% GIR, we won't have played UEL at all. With the lead time involved, changing out a course that makes no sense has to be possible.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sun, May 4 2014 7:25 PM

I agree. It's not even good business for WGT in terms of reduced ball hits (unless someones' counting on maximum shots being used for bunker escapes, lol!).

I have asked Shoe if it's possible to make some changes, but I seem to remember he or Icon saying that once these tourneys are programmed in (often weeks and weeks ahead) that's it, they're fixed. We'll see what he says...

Given that the Best of Par 3 doesn't test a good player's UEL skills at all, I will skip that week's results for the purposes of this Tour, and we will include an extra week (wk25 at Congressional).

It is disappointing to have a 12-week tour devoted to Unevens, and not have it include RSG, St. Andrews, or Merion... but I felt that having made a commitment to a 12-week tour, I can't extend it further, and I'm concerned that it not get too close to the VUSO proper (when most top players' focus will be on Pinehurst).

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Sun, May 4 2014 8:50 PM

If it's too difficult to change a scheduled tournament, how about creating a new tournament that we could play instead?  

Unevens on that new one with the sand and pine trees might be fun...

• stevereilly
    5,910 Posts
    Mon, May 5 2014 3:03 AM

Is anybody else having problems playing week 19  (Best of par 4s).

I'm having loading issues

(edit)  Looking at the empty leaderboard ,I'm not the only one.

• cricketrules
    1,050 Posts
    Mon, May 5 2014 6:15 AM

Came to this thread to say the same thing, Steve. Disappointing. Obviously WGT's priorities are probably with other matters at the minute, so I hope this is something we can fix ourselves.

For me, the loading didn't get past 35% first time trying. Closed the window and tried again, now it can't get past 1%. Will try a cache clear etc. and see if that helps.

Jack.

RSS