Forums

Help › Forums

Sandbaggers

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jun 25 2010 9:17 PM (51 replies)
  • AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Fri, May 21 2010 8:00 AM

Why not have a separate set of averages for tournaments and matchplay challenge rounds? A player could actually be a Pro in Ranked rounds and a Master in money games.

If a profile listed:

Ranked - 74.6

Tournaments -  63.2

MP challenge -  64.5

Then we could easily decide if we wish to risk credits in matchplay.

WGTNiv, what do you think?

• rehill
    431 Posts
    Fri, May 21 2010 8:18 AM

AlaCowboy:

Why not have a separate set of averages for tournaments and matchplay challenge rounds? A player could actually be a Pro in Ranked rounds and a Master in money games.

If a profile listed:

Ranked - 74.6

Tournaments -  63.2

MP challenge -  64.5

Then we could easily decide if we wish to risk credits in matchplay.

WGTNiv, what do you think?

How would an average for match play challenges work? You don't always putt out...

• Babaloo1
    36 Posts
    Fri, May 21 2010 8:29 AM

I just played a back nine match with an amateur who had a 94 average. I made 6 birdies and only beat him on the last hole. My average is around 70.

I lost to the same guy yesterday. You tell me he ain't sand bagging?

Their should be no such thing as free rated games!!

• RUSTY40
    255 Posts
    Fri, May 21 2010 9:03 AM

Babaloo1:

I just played a back nine match with an amateur who had a 94 average. I made 6 birdies and only beat him on the last hole. My average is around 70.

I lost to the same guy yesterday. You tell me he ain't sand bagging?

Their should be no such thing as free rated games!!

Somebody explain to me how his (Babaloo1) opponent (Member since 4/22/10) has

5 ranked scores [33-30-64-63-35] and has a 94 average???????????? 

1,644 Posts
    Fri, May 21 2010 9:18 AM

Well because it's quite obvious that this person has started over.  As to mathematically how... it's like this.  The average is base on the best 10 of the last 14 rounds, if the person in question has only 5 ranked rounds EVER, then the rest of the best 10 get filled in with the default 150, which skews the average.

FWIW... always, always glance at the players profile if you don't know them.  Doesn't take much to spot scammers like this.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, May 21 2010 9:23 AM

FWIW... always, always glance at the players profile if you don't know them.  Doesn't take much to spot scammers like this.

To that end it would be nice if you could click on the opp's name in the start screen and see their profile like you can after the game's started instead of having to open a separate browser window.

• RUSTY40
    255 Posts
    Fri, May 21 2010 9:26 AM

YankeeJim:

To that end it would be nice if you could click on the opp's name in the start screen and see their profile like you can after the game's started instead of having to open a separate browser window.

Exactly, Jim.

• shtebs
    38 Posts
    Fri, May 21 2010 9:35 AM

When a "new" player starts draining long putts against me or is making beautiful lags on very fast greens, the aroma of illegitimacy begins to waft across the fairways. I generally look at the player's match play record. If he's beating pros and masters after less than a month here, hold on to your wallet

• AceQuest
    2 Posts
    Wed, Jun 2 2010 6:57 AM

I have been playing online golf since 1997--every game ever released.  I have now tried all the online browser golf games and have chosen WGT. This game has reasonable scores and is very difficult to master---I like that. I doubt we will see -100 for a tournmant here, ever. 

Though I am new, I will work my way up the ranks very slowly, but my background and exposure to all cheat methods in DVD golf give me a good perspective on WGT.

First off, multiple names in the top 20.  People will open 2 or more accounts to be sure they can hold on to first or second place in all major tournaments. This is a given and there is no way for WGT to stop it.  The usual excuse from a player whose IP get's traced is this, quote "there are several players in my home who have joined WGT" end quote. This factor is impossible to change. So when you are competing for first place, another player has two opportunties (or more) to take that away from you.

Unlike the DVD games, the click method in WGT is probably impossible to hack. I like that fact that we all must use the same swing method. Other games allow moving-the-mouse which means "Edgers" abound and can hit 10% to  20% farther shots than clickers.

To me WGT, though it's a bit "sticky" when in action, the difficulty factors make it the best game for people who want a challenge. I use to be top 20 in  Links 2003, TW07 and TW08 in every tournament.  But this is a whole new ball of wax for me and I realize that going into the future of online golf will be Browser Flash Games.  They will get smoother looking on the screen as well. So instead of farting around with the classic golf, I am moving my focus primarily to WGT.  When I see -20 for four rounds in a tournament, I can accept that as pure-skill which is much more realistic than -70 to -100 that I see in TW, Links and other games.

If scores begin to appear here at sub 70 for a tournament, then I know for a fact that someone has broken the system and shared that knowledge with others-or they figured out the same hack. When and if that happens----I move onto the next "safer" more realistic Golf Simulation.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Jun 2 2010 11:40 AM

Excellent first post, AceQuest... Well written and informative.

Welcome to the game and the forums.

The only thing I would like to point out is that WGT is actively seeking multiple account holders.  They will hold up payments for a tourney to verify each score.  If something looks fishy, they will subject it to further inspection leading to the removal of the questionable account(s) should proof exist.

It is incumbent upon all of us to write to members@worldgolftour.com if and when we suspect a multiple account.  Certainly we will never catch them all but every one we do catch will help.

While I am on the subject, we can all be the eyes and ears of WGT.  Should you encounter any abuses of the Terms & Conditions for this site, a quick note to the address above is in order.

There will always be ne'er-do-wells but with a little perseverance and observation we can limit the damage they can do.

Peace

RSS