Help › Forums

Sandbaggers

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jun 25 2010 9:17 PM (51 replies)
  • rehill
    431 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 8:47 PM

aeg200808:

This whole concept of "sandbagging" is ridiculous... someone accused me of cheating the other day. At the time I was a 70.5 and then whipped off 6 birdies in match play.

Have you guys ever heard of something called "IMPROVEMENT"? sometimes you play well, sometimes you don't. Doesn't always mean you're cheating.

You honestly think there are no sandbaggers?

• andypat
    453 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 9:15 PM

I have recently reach master but before I did I played in the May 18 hole open I shot 66 which I thought was a good round, until I saw the l/board guy with a 70 ave shoots 63 when I check low and beholed I find that ranked tourney's his ave is 39 st andy's and kiawah, 42 bpb when he play's in comp's he shoot's low 60's now tell me that ain't sandbagging.

• Cathlin
    1 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 10:35 PM
    From what I can see the solution to sandbagging is simple, give all WGT golfers a handicap just like real golf.... Move away from the USGA like Handicap System ie Your average score from your best 10 rounds from your 20 last recorded rounds. Move to a system similar to the handicap system in the UK, where every golfer sits in category and moves up and down based on that category. For example if your handicap is between 0 - 5 you are a category 1 golfer therefore you move down .1 of a shot for every shot under the card you are, and only move up .1 no matter how many over par you are. OK I understand there is still potential for sandbaggers with the UK's system BUT it would make it harder for people to move their handicap up, meaning sandbaggers would require LOTS of poor recorded scores to have an adverse effect on their handicap ie 10 bad rounds for category 1 golfers.
  • smason77
    464 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 10:45 PM

In a complete overview of this thread, which is full of good ideas, what can truly be done to stop these camel humpers? Multiple accounts, practice rounds, fake averages... so many variables.

The best thing that a person can do is thoroughly inspect a persons profile (I.E. stats/ average/ score history etc.)

I have no beef with this as I have yet to actually wager credits in an online game. I can see it in my future though so thanks to all for the heads up! lol

After all is said and done.. YOU are responsible for YOU... and only YOU can protect YOU. Cheaters, Evil, Miscreants abound. "Fact of life" as SP likes to say.

1,644 Posts
    Tue, May 18 2010 5:47 AM

*Sigh*.... New month... same problem.... <--- interesting read with responses from WGTNiv, but alas no closer to a solution.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Tue, May 18 2010 6:31 AM

Another solution is only Master tier can win credits and items, and play match play challenges.  We all hope that is not going to happen.  But kind of to the point that someone metioned earlier (sorry, I am too lazy to look), if you play the game daily, and have been playing for months on end, and have the right equipment, there is really a very slim chance you should still be Pro, yet guys playing for the better of 9 months, with over 1000 match play games, are a 69 average?

• Danowadd
    72 Posts
    Tue, May 18 2010 7:14 AM

This sounds cold hearted, but it would work..IF you are a Master/Pro and your last ten rounds falls below the stroke avg for that tier--you lose your ranking and fall back to the previous one..

You ALSO are blocked out from using any said equipment associated with the tier you fell from.. This would eliminate the sandbaggers once and for all....

1,644 Posts
    Tue, May 18 2010 7:29 AM

Sorry Dano,

But if anything that would allow for more sandbaggers in the pool....

• All those masters that feel that they were promoted too early.... 
    • All the dormant (abandoned accounts) of the people that started over because they only kept their best scores and then came to the realization that they cannot compete at the highest level... 
    • Less fear of posting a spectacular score at the pro level and being promoted, now they can be reactive rather than proactive...

Pretty sure this won't solve anything...

• griffygriff
    597 Posts
    Tue, May 18 2010 8:04 AM

RUSTY40:
    Rank in the top 10 or shoot a 62 in a tournament  and--- congrats "you've just qualified for the Master level"
    Well put i was just about to write the same thing, only the 62 would be a 64 or 65.

With this rule in place your sandbagging days would be over after the first attempt.

• CrazyHorses
    16 Posts
    Fri, May 21 2010 1:29 AM

Thanks for the welcome back SP ;)

RSS