Forums

Help › Forums

Sandbaggers

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jun 25 2010 9:17 PM (51 replies)
  • neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 1:45 PM

Looking for response to WGT on this one.  I know its been covered a 100 times over, but what is being done about this stuff?  Looking at the pro may tourney, checking some scores, and a guy shoots much better then his average, then shoots a 45 on Kiawah, followed by 2 more awful scores.  In what world can someone shoot sub 65 on BPB, then 9 over on Kiawah later that day.  I have heard his response before, he records all his scores, even when playing drunk.  This doesn't really affect me, but if I were in the Pro division and shot my best score to finish 4th, out of the money prizes, I would be so pissed off.

Part of the reason I love being in the master tier, for tourneys, there are no sandbaggers. 

• SystemCrash
    209 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 1:59 PM

neildiamond11790:
    In what world can someone shoot sub 65 on BPB, then 9 over on Kiawah later that day.

...should be the other way around. At least for me!

I'm with you on this. I've noticed this also when, after a ranked round, I check the results for the different tiers. I often see that the results for the top 10 Pros are equal (not just close) to the top 10 Masters'... (makes me go hmmm....!). Especially when some names are recurring.

Rob

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 2:02 PM

One reason you may be seeing this is so that a relatively good player ("Master"-worthy) can stay in the Pro tier by shooting high scores to keep up his average and real scores in the tournaments. AKA he doesn't want to compete with the big boys. :)

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 2:03 PM

If and when you notice something suspicious, take it straight to WGT via email.

We all know that the cheaters and liars are out there.  The only way we can make a difference is to let WGT know what we see and hear... then they can take the appropriate (sometimes legal) steps.

Good catch, btw.

• rehill
    431 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 2:09 PM

TheLighterDark:

One reason you may be seeing this is so that a relatively good player ("Master"-worthy) can stay in the Pro tier by shooting high scores to keep up his average and real scores in the tournaments. AKA he doesn't want to compete with the big boys. :)

aka sandbagging

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 2:11 PM

TLD, I know exactly why they do it and how.  I just want to know what exactly is being done about it.  Known violators like some of these recurring Pro's are blatantly obvious.  And like I said it doesn't affect me because I am master tier, but for the guy sitting in 4th on May Pro premium tourney, I would be pissed off.  He/she is either losing a free dozen pro-v's or $50 gift card to golfsmith as it stands right now.  This transfers over to match play challenges where thankfully I bested one of these yahoo's but I know many have fallen.  Personally, I think WGT needs to step up with the stats category.  Having a ranked average, plus a entry fee tourney average, plus a birdie/hole match play average will help many people avoid these clowns.  Then just take those averages and come up with a cutoff, i.e. entry fee average 64, ranked average 69, you get bounced to master.  Nobody, nobody in this world plays consistently better when money is on the line, the key word consistently.  But shooting 64 in a premium tourney, followed by a 45 in a ranked round, thats not fair to the real pro's who play honest.  66 on BPB as a pro is a nice accomplishment, and only to be cheated by these scumbags is not right.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 2:13 PM

Agreed Snaike, but there should be some criteria that WGT can implement that should all be known to remove the chances for anyone to defend how they can shoot 13 strokes higher in back to back rounds, when one is a premium tourney, and the 2nd round is just a ranked round.

And I do sent he email, and I have been successful at getting some things done, but if you draw a hard line in the sand, this is the policy, these are the parameters it will put an end to a lot of it, not all of it, but a lot of it.  If it were just a game online, no actual winnings, then fine, but there are actual dollars spent and real prizes won.

Love the upgrades, love the new courses, just asking for some better stats.

• RUSTY40
    255 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 2:23 PM

I haven't really thought about this for a while but the problem here seems to be that the scores in any tournament or ranked round are computed for your level. (eg.pro.master)  Maybe more weight should be be put on the tournament rounds.

Rank in the top 10 or shoot a 62 in a tournament  and--- congrats "you've just qualified for the Master level".  This would retain the integrity of the pro level tournaments and

bag the sandbaggers once and for all...Just a thought.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 2:31 PM

amen rusty, thats why a entry fee paid tourney average is worth its weight in gold.  It can tell you so much about a player.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 3:59 PM

Great suggestion Rusty. If we all wish to be honest and frank, there is no happier Kingdom than being on the cusp of the Master tier and lingering too long as a pro. It is exciting to play when you know you have a good shot at crystal, week after week, while hanging on to the pro tier knowing the Kingdom will evaporite unless a abnormal round or three is all that can save it.

RSS