A little over two years ago, a small team of us embarked on a simple idea—allow people to play world-famous golf courses online and feel as though they are really there. It didn't matter that it hadn't been done before, or that most people thought it was impossible. Today, two world-class courses, a slew of technology patents, nearly one million players and thousands of putts later, we are unveiling our beta product.
The beta includes our new course, The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island Golf Resort and host of the 1991 Ryder Cup and 94th PGA Championship, which you can play tee-to-green. Also new are:
- Multi-player capability with in-game chat functionality – up to four players can tee off against one another and razz each other while doing so
- Alternative play options – choose between tee-to-green play or closest-to-the-pin competition
- Tournament rewards – compete in tournaments to win prizes ranging from thousands of dollars to luxurious golf vacations
- Variety of swing options – new additions include punch, chip, flop and putt
- Personalized avatars – choose between several avatars and outfits, both male and female
- Personalized profile pages – share your game stats, videos, pictures, friends, replays, activities, favorite equipment, and blog posts
- Forums – get game tips, share advice, or talk about the latest golf news
We've also added two more blogs to our lineup:
- Peter Kessler, the XM Radio personality, golf historian and former Golf Channel host, will share insights and anecdotes drawing on thousands of interviews he has conducted with the individuals who have shaped the game of golf.
- Josh Zander, "Class A" PGA teaching professional at the Stanford University Golf Course and Golf Digest contributor, will offer tips and post videos on improving your golf game.
We hope you enjoy the beta, and welcome your feedback in the forum. There are many improvements coming, and your feedback will help to shape them and make this the best golf experience online!