Forums

Help › Forums

Who's Getting Snow?

Wed, Feb 24 2010 6:28 AM (77 replies)
  • PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2010 11:31 AM

nivlac:

Yeah no kidding.  They're shutting down roads all over the state.  There was a building collapse in Lancaster (20m from me) and there were still some people inside.  We're not prepared to deal with this much snow AND 40-50mph winds on top of it (that part comes later yay).

Down in Delaware where my wife is from her old elementary school collapsed along with about 5 other buildings.  It's really bad. =(

Cool-d pics, Niv. Hang in there! :)

Here's "aftermath" video of the 50 car pile-up . I guess the news crew just happened to be there when it happened. Raw video doesn't show much, but the commentary is interesting.

I checked-out the other two "jam cam" videos that are offered there. It IS AMAZING that so many people would be out in this crap on the Interstate, but I guess if you need to be... and "white-outs" occur so spontaneously...

We've "only" got another 4-5" additional since round two started last night, with another 4-5" more coming with the windage later today. Yes... it's gettin really bad.

Part of the "Smithsonian" collapsed?

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2010 11:37 AM

So I've been flipping through the channels checking out the various local news.  They just showed a thing where you can participate in the "Fox 43 Snow Coverage Drinking Game".  They actually advertised this on the tv.... lol

http://www.fox43.com/news/wpmt-snow-drinkinggame,0,3624120.story

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2010 11:45 AM

LMAO!

Wonder how long it'll take for them to fire this "Staff Reporter" for making this inane suggestion to their viewers?

Unbelievable!

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2010 11:50 AM

The best part is that they are doing stuff on purpose now.  They just put both weatherpeople on the screen (3 drinks), they showed a dog in the snow (1 drink) and reminded us we were supposed to drink for that.

lol

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2010 11:58 AM

Wow! Wonder if that's why Rendell declared PA a disaster area?  They're getting everybody in on it! lol

"The Governor declares a State of Emergency for Pennsylvania" - DRINK!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2010 12:18 PM

niv-Pay attention to the roof. NO bs. When it all stops the problems show up. If possible, when you can, rake or shovel as much of it off as you can. Melting happens underneath first where you can't see it and before you know it your gutters are diagonal decorations on the house, having been ripped loose by the weight of the ice.  Ice damming at roof joints is going to force water leaks where you don't see them until it's a mess. They are formed by melting/freezing snow buildup. By the looks of your front door it appears there is a lot of drifting which may be keeping the snow on the roof down but go check. GL

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2010 12:22 PM

YankeeJim:

niv-Pay attention to the roof. NO bs. When it all stops the problems show up. If possible, when you can, rake or shovel as much of it off as you can. Melting happens underneath first where you can't see it and before you know it your gutters are diagonal decorations on the house, having been ripped loose by the weight of the ice.  Ice damming at roof joints is going to force water leaks where you don't see them until it's a mess. They are formed by melting/freezing snow buildup. By the looks of your front door it appears there is a lot of drifting which may be keeping the snow on the roof down but go check. GL

Nooooo! Bad Idea! Don't go onto the roof! The added weight may be just enough to make it collapse, or start a "roof-alanche" taking yer butt into a drift below!

I'm serious... wait for it to melt, or slide off on its own.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2010 12:24 PM

I live in a 2 story townhome, so  I really have no chance to get on the roof or even reach it with a ten foot pole. =(

Looking at the homes across the street from me it looks to be about a foot on the roofs, but the winds are so blustery that a lot of it is blowing off.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2010 12:32 PM

PugsAce:
    I'm serious... wait for it to melt, or slide off on its own

LOL-Brings to mind the ole stand right here and let me slam the front door.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2010 12:44 PM

Nyuk-nyuk-nyuk... OWWW!

LMAO!

RSS