Forums

Help › Forums

Who's Getting Snow?

Wed, Feb 24 2010 6:28 AM (77 replies)
  • PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 5:16 AM

I'm in SW Pennsylvania, USA. We're getting racked with what could be one of the top five snowstorms of all time for this area. Probably alot of others in the same boat across the eastern half of the US.

We've got about 20" so far, with more on the way today, and I just heard on the news that another storm could bring another 1/2ft on Tuesday. Oh Boy.

Who else is getiing snow?

Stay safe!

PugsAce :^)

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 5:41 AM

Snow-covered here in Central Europe for a few weeks now, and my city is in flat-land where this is not so usual. Nothing dramatic, though.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 5:53 AM

LOL-That's just ground cover Pug. Just pray your ISP doesn't get snowed out so you can play golf until it melts. The last time this happened we up here in Upstate New York had to send plows down there to help dig out.  Sheesh-rookies.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 5:55 AM

Getting quite "dramatic" around these parts... "States of Emergency", delared "Disaster Areas", airports closed (i.e. Greater Pittsburgh International), and basically we're not allowed on the roads...

Hopefully not too many people are w/o power, as the temps are expected to drop into the single digits (F). A few of my family members are "stranded" away from their homes, but safe.

Punxsutawney Phil (our local weather predicting rodent...lol) predicted another 6 weeks of winter, but he didn't say it would be so WHITE! :)

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 6:07 AM

PugsAce:
    Punxsutawney Phil (our local weather predicting rodent...lol) predicted another 6 weeks of winter

Oh my, that was one fabulous movie! A supreme work of art. I always point out Groundhog Day as an example to rebut all those snobbish Europeans' claims that Hollywood produces nothing but trash movies. The final scene in that movie was wonderfully covered by snow as well, if I remember correctly! Snow played a big part in that classic.

(By the way, the same team of folks made Caddyshack, but I somehow didn't like Caddyshack, sorry.)

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 6:30 AM

Around here (western Mass) 5" to 10" is a "dusting". 20", start thinking about getting the snow shovel out. More than that, it becomes- One of the top five storms...Of The Season. Enjoy it while it lasts and don`t forget to take some pictures to show the grandkids, lol.

Yesterday, someone commented "I guess we`re missing that snow storm down south". My reply was, I`m not "missing" it at all ! Haven`t seen the grass in my lawn for several months and probably won`t for a couple more yet. GL and stay safe.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 6:41 AM

PugsAce:
    Getting quite "dramatic" around these parts... "States of Emergency", delared "Disaster Areas", airports closed (i.e. Greater Pittsburgh International), and basically we're not allowed on the roads..

What really makes it more dramatic is what the west coast news outlets give their viewers. They make it look like the east coast is going to disappear like in the movie The Day After Tomorrow. Being in the path of lake effect snow from Lake Ontario we get occasional warnings of huge snow coming. Everybody battens down the hatches, blows off work and wipe out the local grocery stores, stocking up.  Heh, invariably it turns into a dusting of snow and false alarm is cried!

When all is said and done though, the drifts are piled high and the wind has whipped the snow into fantastic sculptures while a blanket of white makes everything look pristine you have to admire the way Mother Nature manipulates the landscape. Build a snow fort or igloo and wonder what it was like before the creature comforts we take for granted.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 6:47 AM

Thanks mefitz. People round these parts do get a little "crazy" when a "major" event like this is forecast... shelves are reportedly bare at the grocery stores, for example.

Being where you are, it looks like you guys will be the last to get any relief from this latest blast. I'm guessing you'll probably have 3 feet on the ground by this time on Super Sunday? But I know you people up there in the "extreme" NE US are a hardy bunch... you probably have a path shoveled to your grill already! lol

Take Care. :]

Jim, send out the troops! heh-heh! I can't find my truck in the driveway! :)

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 7:16 AM

Lmao, how`d you know? Porterhouse steaks tonight !

Actually, we`ve had it easy this year(as far as snow goes). Just don`t let the "reports" freak you out. I`ve always got food stocked cuz the nearest supermarket is a half hour away (in good weather) and all I need to do is fill jugs of water in case the power goes out, drilled well, no city water pumped in.

YJ is right (hence my comment on pictures), enjoy mother nature`s show for what it is !

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 7:21 AM

Things are bad down here too Pugs,  shelves are so bare you can't hardly buy any sunscreen, we've got 350 days of sunshine in the books and there's more on the way!  Hi temps today will only get to 68 degrees so everything is shut down except police, fire, retail outlets and the golf courses.

RSS