Forums

Help › Forums

Who's Getting Snow?

Wed, Feb 24 2010 6:28 AM (77 replies)
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Feb 7 2010 9:54 PM

These reports of weather, from friends, remind me that the little bit of rain we are getting now in the south of California, is beneficial beyond the notion of inconvenience which comes along by nature when the weather is always close to perfect.

• shakaimpi
    1 Posts
    Sun, Feb 7 2010 11:59 PM
    Hi, I am from Cape Town in SUNNY South Africa. It is summer here with average temp of about 34 degrees. Winter it will go down to about 14 degrees. It NEVER snows here! Perfect for GOLFING!!
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Feb 8 2010 6:48 AM

SweetiePie:
    These reports of weather, from friends, remind me that the little bit of rain we are getting now in the south of California, is beneficial beyond the notion of inconvenience which comes along by nature when the weather is always close to perfect

LOL at that SP. Having spent the first half of my life in the San Fernando Valley with that close to perfect weather I can tell you I don't miss the vicious cycle that California endures every year. The one where the hills are ablaze while the blast furnace known as the Santa Ana winds creates havoc. Then, after the watershed is gone the rains come and because there's nothing to stem the flows the hills all turn to giant  mudslides and cliff  houses fall into the Pacific. Every year....

Heh-let's not forget standing guard in front of the storefronts (USArmy) that were still standing after the latest 7.1 earthquake, trying to breathe in a Stage 3 smog alert, another common fact of life in that perfect weather. LOL-No thanks.

When the snow melts and the tulips start pushing up, the spring rain washes the grime from the streets and shorts become the uniform of the day you really get a sense of what perfect weather is. Ah, the smell of spring is right around the corner.....

• Middle4man
    368 Posts
    Mon, Feb 8 2010 8:34 AM
    Brethren and sisters, I feel compelled to report the weather from northeast Arkansas, where a "dusting" to most of you shuts us down completely. We collected six inches of snow last week, which closed our schools for three days, and as soon as that melted we collected another three inches this morning, with a prediction of 5-8 inches more tonight. And it's the good packin' snow, too. So our kids will be going to school until at least July 4. Or so it will seem. We get this type of snow about once a decade, not twice in two weeks, so the weather is THE conversation starter nowadays. I hope you folks in the east dig out of your igloos soon. My goodness, what a storm.
  • PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Mon, Feb 8 2010 10:14 AM

YankeeJim:

... When the snow melts and the tulips start pushing up, the spring rain washes the grime from the streets and shorts become the uniform of the day you really get a sense of what perfect weather is. Ah, the smell of spring is right around the corner.....

My nephew in Albany, NY said he got no snow from this latest storm, and if this next one tomorrow misses them, those Crocuses (Crocii?), Daffodils, and Tulips might be poking-out their heads a bit earlier for them this year. The kids have their fingers crossed for some accumulation! 

Did the snowstorm from the southwest make it upstate to you, at all?

Sweetie, I feel for you guys out west having to put-up with all the "weather-related quirks", but as my girl tells me, it's so nice there "most of the time", that she'll miss it when she comes back east next month. Such a shame she's missin' all this "nice weather" we're havin' right now. lol ;)

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Mon, Feb 8 2010 11:00 AM

nivlac:

26 inches!!

Hey Niv! I just saw a time-lapse video on the weather channel showing the snow accumulating on a table like yours. It showed a small cylindrical lump on top (like in your photo) formed by a pop can that was left on the table. I'm curious... What formed your "lump"? :)

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Mon, Feb 8 2010 1:44 PM

You know....  I'm not really sure.  When I uploaded the picture to my PC was the first time I actually noticed that lump.  It's possible that what was accumulating on top of the umbrella fell off in a chunk, but I really have no idea.

As far as I know there's nothing on the table, it's usually just empty. 

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Mon, Feb 8 2010 2:09 PM

Haha, I was just watching the news and I heard the term "Snowpocalypse."

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Feb 8 2010 2:32 PM

Heh-Obama called it "snowmageddon"

• raidermatt1
    96 Posts
    Mon, Feb 8 2010 6:24 PM
    Nice pic nivlac, i am in the same situation as you, we got about 2 feet and now they are calling for another foot tuesday night into wednesday, looks like i will be up on my roof getting all the snow off lol
RSS