Help › Forums

Who's Getting Snow?

Wed, Feb 24 2010 6:28 AM (77 replies)
  • AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2010 12:49 PM

PugsAce:

YankeeJim:

niv-Pay attention to the roof. NO bs. When it all stops the problems show up. If possible, when you can, rake or shovel as much of it off as you can. Melting happens underneath first where you can't see it and before you know it your gutters are diagonal decorations on the house, having been ripped loose by the weight of the ice.  Ice damming at roof joints is going to force water leaks where you don't see them until it's a mess. They are formed by melting/freezing snow buildup. By the looks of your front door it appears there is a lot of drifting which may be keeping the snow on the roof down but go check. GL

Nooooo! Bad Idea! Don't go onto the roof! The added weight may be just enough to make it collapse, or start a "roof-alanche" taking yer butt into a drift below!

I'm serious... wait for it to melt, or slide off on its own.

Use a stable ladder and rake it off with a leaf rake, plastic tines if you have one. The no-clog type sold at Wal-Mart are the best, or use a shop broom.

• opyeuclid
    6,706 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2010 12:50 PM

I send the boy up on the roof for that sorta thing,,  If he falls off ,he jumps up to make sure that nobody seen it happen and bust his nad,s over it,,,,when i fall off the roof at my age Im hopping the next door dog doesnt find me ,,sniff me,, and then wizz on me  befor i come to    ,, just like last time

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2010 2:25 PM

AlaCowboy:

Use a stable ladder and rake it off with a leaf rake, plastic tines if you have one. The no-clog type sold at Wal-Mart are the best, or use a shop broom.

And don't forget to bring your largest golf-umbrella along!

When that roofload of snow decides to come tumbling down at you standing on that stable ladder holding on with one hand (rake in other), drop the rake, grab the pre-opened umbrella, and you may be able to float - "Mary Poppins-like" - gently to terra blanca. lol

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2010 3:41 PM

opyeuclid:

I send the boy up on the roof for that sorta thing,,  If he falls off ,he jumps up to make sure that nobody seen it happen and bust his nad,s over it,,,,when i fall off the roof at my age Im hopping the next door dog doesnt find me ,,sniff me,, and then wizz on me  befor i come to    ,, just like last time

Genuine LMFAO-that is hysterical. Makes me think of Frank Zappa--"Watch out where the huskies go, don't you eat that yellow snow."         Nanook.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2010 7:35 PM

It is with great sadness to report that although we have had some rare rain, which is over, it is clear and suppose to be around 80 degrees in a day or two.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Thu, Feb 11 2010 4:40 AM

Yeah, we got clobbered with a foot of snow here.

Good thing is I didn't have to goto work yesterday.

Bad thing is Nassau apparently forgot to salt a part of the LIE, resulting in icetop conditions for around 7 or so exits.   Driving into work this morning, some lady in her Nissan Altima spun out due to it.   She's lucky traffic was very light and didn't have someone slam into her.   It's funny how the highway conditions changed when I went from Queens into Nassau.   F'ing Long Island !

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Thu, Feb 11 2010 5:48 AM

Hang in there snow people...

Where I live we AVERAGE almost 100 inches every year...(last year had 158 inches by this time , I believe).

We have Lake effect snow and when it mixes with an orographic lift you get snowbelts...

Thankfully I live north of the snowbelt region...So good luck...may we will all be golfing soon.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Feb 11 2010 7:07 AM

Heh-Lake Ontario constantly batters the area thanks to that nice Canadian cold front that sweeps down on us. Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse compete each year for the snow award (dubious achievement) however, this year Washington, DC is invited because as of this storm they have more snow than we do!  

Welcome to winter........

• werksux
    241 Posts
    Thu, Feb 11 2010 8:01 AM
    We're getting pummelled by GLOBAL WARMING in the Dallas/ Ft Worth area of Texas. So far we have 3+ inches of snow on the ground.
  • PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Thu, Feb 11 2010 8:48 AM

Dude, Where's my Truck? :)

*pic taken from the window above my driveway... before the latest blizzard.

The snow has stopped!... (for now).

RSS