Forums

Help › Forums

Who's Getting Snow?

Wed, Feb 24 2010 6:28 AM (77 replies)
  • uoducks63
    53 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 8:22 AM

It is amazing how different parts of the country react to weather.  I live in the Lake Tahoe area of Nevada,  getting 1-2 feet of snow in a night is nothing new.  Most winters around here you are lucky if you can walk down the street without the snowbanks being over your head, lol.  50-60 mph winds on the east coast and the news talks about a national emergency and how many buildings are destroyed, those kind of winds happen all the time around here and you never even hear about it.  In fact if i watch the national news, you would think the western half of the country doesnt even exist.  The weather girl spends most of her time standing right in front of our part of the map and talking about a little storm in the east like its the end of the world......

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 8:57 AM

uoducks63:

It is amazing how different parts of the country react to weather...

I think the biggest "issue" (around here, anyways) is the fact that most of the power/communications lines are above ground and are aging. Coupled with the amount of trees around these lines, alot of people are faced with outtages of one form or another from this abnormally-wet/heavy snow.

The news just reported that just one of the power carriers (Allegheny Power) is working to restore power to 127,000 homes in the SW PA region. There are other carriers with similar work to do.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not "belly-aching" about the snow. It's not THAT unusual, even though they're saying this is now in the "top three snowfalls in the history of the area", and it still remains to be a beautiful thing... as long as I'm still able to stay warm, and shoot under par! LOL.

• opyeuclid
    6,706 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 9:19 AM

Good day, Here in the snowbelt of north east Ohio we got a 12in dusting..Big deal, So I am loading up the snowmobile and heading to the first person,s house that send,s me a invite to go riding with them,,,,Please!   Opy

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 10:04 AM

LMAO @ opy-You got it! Big snow=Bigger party! Major sledding too. Picture BPB under 2 ft of snow and the sledding you could do there. The top of 15 all the way back to the fairway-major jump over the trap to get there!! That's the way it is this time of year around here and when you get cold it's time to warm up on the golf course. Life's good......

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 11:44 AM

26 inches!!

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 2:07 PM

nivlac:

26 inches!!

LOL! We Have a Winner!

... "Honey? Have you seen the bag of bird-feed I just opened yesterday?"   :)

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 3:42 PM

nivlac:

26 inches!!

That's some mighty Blue snow there... Where are you Smurf Village?

...besides 26" is nothing....

I think we got 26 1/2 inches in Philly!!!!!

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 3:47 PM

Camera was on an auto-setting and picked bluelight option for some reason.  I think it makes it look cool :P

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 5:47 PM

I guess now isn't a good time to mention that we have a tee time for Harding tomorrow morning, huh?

Really really sorry to hear about all your snowfall.... wait... let me check...  well..  no..  I lie,  not really sorry.  After all, I moved out of the Rockies over twenty years ago because I was tired of the stuff.

Little bit of rain now and again, the ubiquitous fog, and the occasional earthquake...  sure, I'll trade that for 26" of snow every time.

Oh, how I miss shoveling the walk and drive...  /sniff.*

*Did that last line sound sincere?  I was going for sincerity.  Do you think anyone noticed the sarcasm?  Me either.

• NormH3
    214 Posts
    Sun, Feb 7 2010 5:47 AM

Looks like we got an average of 25" or so here in Delaware. I'm the IT manager at a non-profit healthcare facility for children and it was all hands on deck. I've been here since Friday night and finally get to go home today, where I get to dig out my driveway.

Let's put this in perspective. One of the reasons this is a big deal around here is because we don't typically get these kind of snowfalls very often. My state and those around us, do not have a huge snow removal budget. We really don't need it. When the occaisional major storm comes up the coast, it really brings things to a halt. So yes, laugh about our measely 26", but it truely does cause emergency situations.

RSS