Forums

Help › Forums

Owner frustration........ideas appreciated....

Wed, Feb 8 2012 7:28 AM (54 replies)
  • MichaelHazen
    491 Posts
    Sun, Jan 29 2012 6:48 AM

Good morning,    

I was recently (soon to be closing) running a club with 88% capacity. I was lucky if I'd get 60% participation in club events (50 member club). And as time would pass, over the weeks participation would dwindle. I had used many techniques to keep interest and had a clear solid base of members participating.

I've looked at other clubs (some bigger/same size) and found they were getting the kind of turnout I was looking for. I'd like to know anyone's idea's or even gimmicks as to how they kept their members coming back or is it just a matter of luck of falling into the right kind of members?

Any positive feedback would be greatly appreciated as I intend to open a smaller club up to get a solid base to work with and then maybe branch out from there.

Thanks!

• sixkiller
    1,147 Posts
    Sun, Jan 29 2012 7:03 AM

I'm not an owner, but I do belong to a very active CC. It very much helps to have a chat forum set up on IRC or some such. Members and prospects can interact, set up games, offer tips and advice, and generally keep up with whats going on in the CC.

Don't just get warm bodies, you need folks who are active, and willing to take the initiative to create club events. My CC has a poker night every other friday eve, regular club tourney's in which members donate a sleeve of balls or even merchandise or gift cards! We have many other activities, many of which have nothing to with WGT. We of course compete in most of the multi CC tournaments that pop up.

Hope this helps, good luck.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sun, Jan 29 2012 7:07 AM

I'd say 60 % is a reasonable turnout. People have lives outside of WGT. Perhaps you just set your expectations too high.

• MichaelHazen
    491 Posts
    Sun, Jan 29 2012 8:07 AM

60% was the start. By the end it was under 50%. And yes Captain Obvious, I'm aware people have lives outside of WGT. And yes that was also a thought going through my head that I set it to high. Which is why I'm starting smaller this time....but thanks for the ideas.

• MichaelHazen
    491 Posts
    Sun, Jan 29 2012 8:20 AM

sixkiller:

I'm not an owner, but I do belong to a very active CC. It very much helps to have a chat forum set up on IRC or some such. Members and prospects can interact, set up games, offer tips and advice, and generally keep up with whats going on in the CC.

Don't just get warm bodies, you need folks who are active, and willing to take the initiative to create club events. My CC has a poker night every other friday eve, regular club tourney's in which members donate a sleeve of balls or even merchandise or gift cards! We have many other activities, many of which have nothing to with WGT. We of course compete in most of the multi CC tournaments that pop up.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Yea, I was trying to find set up a website for the club. One of my best members suggested the IRC or whatever that thing is too. I asked around if anyone knew how to get one going and got no response. If you know how to or can point me in the right direction that'd be great.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sun, Jan 29 2012 8:29 AM

MichaelHazen:
     yes Captain Obvious, I'm aware people have lives outside of WGT. 

I won't bother you again. Have a nice day.

• sixkiller
    1,147 Posts
    Sun, Jan 29 2012 8:43 AM

MichaelHazen:
    If you know how to or can point me in the right direction that'd be great.

I'm not a techno geek, but you can search in forum "19th hole" and it will direct you how to download Mirc, or also how to get to the Deviation's forum where you can get help from Nivlac the master.

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Sun, Jan 29 2012 9:41 AM

piztaker:

MichaelHazen:
     yes Captain Obvious, I'm aware people have lives outside of WGT. 

I won't bother you again. Have a nice day.

lol...piz......what did you expect from this guy.

to run a successful cc like electra or deviations, elite etc......first of all it's better to have a respectful manner when addressing people who reply trying to offer you help or advice.

it comes as no surprise to me that your old cc members lost faith eventually if you talked to them like you have talked to members in this open forum in the past and even the way you've replied to piz in this thread.

until the attitude changes, any cc you own will crash and burn eventually because your attitude is deplorable and members will only tolerate it for so long before they move elsewhere.

tbe

• Fuzzygazz
    1,469 Posts
    Sun, Jan 29 2012 10:19 AM

"And yes Captain Obvious, I'm aware people have lives outside of WGT." That s your main reason why your club didnt make it. Someone trying to help you and thats how you reply. heh

• Rzbk
    376 Posts
    Sun, Jan 29 2012 11:58 AM

After reading your thoughts and questions and then the replies I was once again ashamed to be a member of this site. Most of the people here who bother to answer will try to help all they can.

In one respect we are fortunate to have a small core of very articulate, knowledgeable people who can answer about any question asked.. 

But unfortunately their information comes with a price.  As you are well aware, the price is having to endure a certain amount of ridicule along with the embarrassment that goes with it.

As you have also learned, any comment or rebuttal from you is swiftly rebuked and becomes another of your shortcomings because of your attitude and insensitivity with other people's lives. 

At that point nothing you attempt or try to do will succeed so don't even bother.

I have read some of the most informative, well thought out and very well written replies that lost all integrity and sense of direction because of a totally uncalled for smart ass remark. This doesn't happen 100% of the time but probably 97.5%.

Maybe they feel it's necessary in order for people to notice them but the notice comes from their helpful and cognitive answers, not from their belittlement tactics.

I'll close by again repeating this old saying that is as true today as it was yesterday and if this saying applies to any who reads and/or replies to this post, please just put some thought into it.

"Everyone likes a little ass but NO ONE likes a SMART ASS.

RSS