Forums

Help › Forums

Showdowns?

Tue, Feb 27 2024 4:57 PM (91 replies)
  • DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Fri, Apr 28 2023 11:55 AM

AnaNikolaj:
    Alan, we could probably co-ordinate entering the next one in the same group. Let's say we set a goal to end on - 6. The 1st one tries to score - 2 in every set and reports the score and the hole order. The other one then scores the same - 6, but with a - 1 in their last set. Or, if possible, getting - 3 on 1st 2 sets and par on the last. Depending on the outcome, we can either confirm your theory or try again next time. I think the quallie round is the best for this, cause you can control who you're playing with (if we agree to enter at the same time, we'll almost certainly be in the same group). And you can toy around with scores with less care...

Very clever, it would certainly be at least a very good start :-) My only worry is my ability.  We could see who we have doing it and then decide on the order, -6 doesn't seem too bad but the last to try may have the hardest job.

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Fri, Apr 28 2023 2:36 PM

Paul, thank you for your insight, but I never write things down, mainly cause I have close to photographic memory.

As far as getting in the same group, it should be easy. There are a hundred spots per group, and only one is open at a time. When it fills up, another one opens. Works the same as brackets or RGs. So, if we say we both sign up at the exact same time (let's say 7 pm GMT), we should be put in the same group 99% of the time. Unless you thought we will try to play head to head against each other, but if that's the case, you completely missed the point. 

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sat, Apr 29 2023 4:04 AM

AnaNikolaj:
    Although I have to say, given some evidence lately, I no longer trust the tie-breaker that much.

Now I may have played more Showdowns than you but a really stupid thing to do ask someone that's won 171 brackets in the last few months would be if they are sure about the rules.

If any ties still remain, the earlier-submitted entry will be deemed the better scoring entry.

Could it actually mean the first person to enter the bracket rather than play the round?!  I know it sounds daft but I remember people entering tournaments early, and playing later, as it was advantageous.   I'll go for 99.87% sure it's not true this time, not as it's clear but I'm sure you'd have noticed the lower number entry always winning in these circumstances.  Actually make that 97.89% as instances may be quite rare.

Lol, I tried looking for the instance you were talking about but needle in a haystack and then some.

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Sat, Apr 29 2023 4:39 AM

DodgyPutter:
    Lol, I tried looking for the instance you were talking about but needle in a haystack and then some

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Tried to find it myself. It was April 21st (that's the date I sent my opponent a PM), but the score is no longer within the last 200 scores... perhaps a good time to re-evaluate my life choices...

But if memory serves, he entered in the 3rd quarter, while I was in the 4th.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sat, Apr 29 2023 5:45 AM

AnaNikolaj:
    πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Tried to find it myself. It was April 21st (that's the date I sent my opponent a PM), but the score is no longer within the last 200 scores... perhaps a good time to re-evaluate my life choices...

:-)

I think a couple of the 27's I looked at you tied with AussieDodger and he went through.  Both times he was the earlier entry but I obviously don't know if these games went down as far as that rule. (one was on the 27th I think).

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Sat, Apr 29 2023 6:17 AM

DodgyPutter:

AnaNikolaj:

:-)

I think a couple of the 27's I looked at you tied with AussieDodger and he went through.  Both times he was the earlier entry but I obviously don't know if these games went down as far as that rule. (one was on the 27th I think).

Those rounds had eagles in them and were clear cut. The one in question was against storm8338 (Matteo) and it should've been his. Can't say with a 100% certainty he entered before me, but I'm at around 99%. You could be correct though, but it would've been the stupidest tie-breaker rule in history... 

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Sat, Apr 29 2023 7:53 AM

What an effing moron I am to take that long to figure out, I can still find the bracket from his score history. You might be right, Alan. I entered before he did. What a strange way to break a tie, if that is really how it works... 

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sat, Apr 29 2023 11:02 AM

AnaNikolaj:
    You might be right, Alan. I entered before he did. What a strange way to break a tie, if that is really how it works.

I hope you mean he entered before you, I still didn't find it.  Edit:  You didn't thanks, I was confusing myself :-(

As to a strange way.....I just seem to remembering that, back when you were WT and there was the VT, people would enter the tournaments quickly but not necessarily play them until a good bit later.  Sent the rest in a PM. 

• callaghan159
    6,222 Posts
    Mon, May 15 2023 11:52 AM

Current showdown in 3 of 3 hole comps I had 4 Maxxed apparel packs---what a a joke.

RSS