Forums

Help › Forums

Showdowns?

Tue, Feb 27 2024 4:57 PM (91 replies)
  • Squatch031
    161 Posts
    Thu, Apr 20 2023 12:12 PM

When playing a showdown tournament do all participants play the same holes under the same conditions?  Given that we are playing against/with someone in a showdown I was not sure how they work this.

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Sun, Apr 23 2023 10:32 PM

Squatch031:

When playing a showdown tournament do all participants play the same holes under the same conditions?  Given that we are playing against/with someone in a showdown I was not sure how they work this.

As was said before, everyone plays the same sets of holes, just not in the same order. The conditions are not the same though. The only fixed thing are the tees, while wind speed, green speed and even the pins (where there are 2 sets) are random. Let's say you get a St. Andrews set with #17 in it. The conditions can range from some getting the right (front) pin in low wind and slow greens, while some poor *** will get the back pin in high wind and 13 greens. Hopefully it evens out over 18 holes, but probably not, given the fact all conditions are random.

When playing the showdowns, you're matched with any player, who's playing that particular coin room. So, for the "veteran" option, one is matched with anyone playing the Casablanca at the time. My guess would be that the algorhythm gives you an opponent from the SD, if they haven't played that particular set of holes yet. But, the holes, that you're playing as your first set of 3, can be your opponent's last set of 3 (or any in between). But you can just as easily be matched with any random player, who's simply playing a Casablanca coin game. Those are the ones who tend to forfeit... 😉

Btw, the reason why I'm sure of paragraph one, is the fact someone forfeited in my 3 set in the final in the middle of playing the 2nd hole. Game froze, I had to restart the launcher and when I came back, those holes weren't registered. When I went to replay holes 7-9, I was put on a different course. I got my "original" 7-9 set later on as 13-15, but instead of them being high wind and 10 greens (as originally in the forfeited attempt) , they were low wind and 7,9 greens... 

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Mon, Apr 24 2023 12:57 AM

AnaNikolaj:
    Btw, the reason why I'm sure of paragraph one, is the fact someone forfeited in my 3 set in the final in the middle of playing the 2nd hole. Game froze, I had to restart the launcher and when I came back, those holes weren't registered. When I went to replay holes 7-9, I was put on a different course. I got my "original" 7-9 set later on as 13-15, but instead of them being high wind and 10 greens (as originally in the forfeited attempt) , they were low wind and 7,9 greens... 

I'm 95.6% sure the answer to this will be no but..........When you replayed 7-9 was it high wind and 10 greens?

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Mon, Apr 24 2023 1:05 AM

DodgyPutter:

AnaNikolaj:

I'm 95.6% sure the answer to this will be no but..........When you replayed 7-9 was it high wind and 10 greens?

Nope.

P. S. : Loving the false modesty though, I'm sure deep down the actual percentage of certainty was a full 100 😉

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Mon, Apr 24 2023 2:06 AM

AnaNikolaj:
    P. S. : Loving the false modesty though, I'm sure deep down the actual percentage of certainty was a full 100 😉

Lol it should have been but it wasn't. The same happened to me a couple of showdowns ago and I got a different course but the same conditions when I came back to the holes.  I did reckon it was coincidence but wanted to be sure :-)

I have a theory (well not even that as even I realise it's probably wrong) on the holes played that I just sent someone. I'll send it to you too as it's probably too daft for public viewing. 

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Mon, Apr 24 2023 9:20 AM

AnaNikolaj:
    Btw, the reason why I'm sure of paragraph one, is the fact someone forfeited in my 3 set in the final in the middle of playing the 2nd hole. Game froze, I had to restart the launcher and when I came back, those holes weren't registered. When I went to replay holes 7-9, I was put on a different course. I got my "original" 7-9 set later on as 13-15, but instead of them being high wind and 10 greens (as originally in the forfeited attempt) , they were low wind and 7,9 greens.

The same thing happened to me in the Elimination round of this last Showdown.  I was playing holes 13-15 at Wolf Creek.  Opponent missed his putt on the 3rd hole (hole 15) and forfeited immediately.  Game froze with an error and would not let me continue.

So I force-closed the app and had to replay holes 13-15.  This time, the game put me on Pebble Beach for holes 13-15.

I played Wolf Creek again after that, as holes 16-18.

• Duphpherer
    437 Posts
    Mon, Apr 24 2023 11:44 AM

After the veteran elimination round, I was tied for the lead along with 4 others. One remarked his winds never exceeded 15 mph for the entire 18 holes. My first 6 holes had winds of over 20 with 3 holes over 28. So even in the same grouping the conditions vary greatly. 

Random luck plays a big part. Can't say I'm thrilled about it for fairness. 

RSS