Forums

Help › Forums

What are the worst bugs

Tue, Nov 28 2023 11:01 AM (111 replies)
  • garyk49
    2,314 Posts
    Thu, Apr 14 2022 10:28 AM

SimonTheBeetle:

It's quite obvious that WGT now of today will not (and cannot) modify the fundamental game coding & physics engine which was programmed by the original engineers back in 2006 or 2007.

They have already done this.  Remember back when backspin used to work from the rough and bunkers, until they removed it.  I would love to see a pro not be able to spin the ball from either of those during a tourney.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,511 Posts
    Thu, Apr 14 2022 10:55 PM

We could use backspin from roughs & bunkers?! Must be before I discovered this game.

I do remember, though, when WGT removed backspin applicable when pitching on the green. (I believe it was only possible from the mobile side?) But, Gary, these are rather quick fixes.

The changes Chris, Yiannis and other experts in the game are talking about are much more "fundamental", things that you gotta touch the "root" of the game, physics engine.

IMO, there's a considerable possibility or a potential risk that the whole game could be permanently f***ed up in an irreversible way if not properly done.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,511 Posts
    Thu, Apr 14 2022 11:25 PM

arkage57:

Clean out the dead players and the dead clubs-

There are a ton of players that have not played in YEARS. Put them in a "purgatory" file and if they want back in, have them reactivate.

Dead clubs come from dead owners,  yet still attract new players for the Putting/Power Pals.  Thriving clubs need those players, but can't find them, can't recruit them- there are way too many clubs that have not been active for a long time. Disband them and make the active players find new homes. (They aren't benefiting from a dead club)

A very good point!

Many game companies automatically delete accounts (users, IDs) dormant for more than two years or so. WGT should adopt the same.

• garyk49
    2,314 Posts
    Fri, Apr 15 2022 4:32 AM

SimonTheBeetle:

We could use backspin from roughs & bunkers?! Must be before I discovered this game.

I do remember, though, when WGT removed backspin applicable when pitching on the green. (I believe it was only possible from the mobile side?) But, Gary, these are rather quick fixes.

You can today use backspin around the greens from roughs and bunkers, BUT, it does not work.  WGT removed the ability of it to work, on all shot types, a number of years ago, when this game was still flash based, around the greens,  At the time there was a big influx of new players that were complaining it allowed the older players to stop the ball too close to the pin.(a case of, I don't want to have to play for years to figure this out)(you know the people, those with dimished attention spans.) This happened back in the day, we were told of thousands and thousands of emails for this to be changed.  There was never a complaint about it in the forums.  Far enough off of the green in a fairway, it still does work.

I have been here since 2009, so yes there has been a number of changes, many have not seen.

I was just trying to show, that yes, they can change the core aspects of the game.

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Fri, Apr 15 2022 5:14 AM

SimonTheBeetle:

arkage57:

Clean out the dead players and the dead clubs-

There are a ton of players that have not played in YEARS. Put them in a "purgatory" file and if they want back in, have them reactivate.

Dead clubs come from dead owners,  yet still attract new players for the Putting/Power Pals.  Thriving clubs need those players, but can't find them, can't recruit them- there are way too many clubs that have not been active for a long time. Disband them and make the active players find new homes. (They aren't benefiting from a dead club)

A very good point!

Many game companies automatically delete accounts (users, IDs) dormant for more than two years or so. WGT should adopt the same.

WGT continually promotes how many players are using the site (millions?). I think they purposely keep dead accounts for marketing purposes (allows them to inflate the overall numbers).

If WGT accurately reported how many accounts are actively playing, it would be much lower than they advertise.

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Fri, Apr 15 2022 5:20 AM

SimonTheBeetle:

The changes Chris, Yiannis and other experts in the game are talking about are much more "fundamental", things that you gotta touch the "root" of the game, physics engine.

IMO, there's a considerable possibility or a potential risk that the whole game could be permanently f***ed up in an irreversible way if not properly done.

Which is probably why the "crack" programmers at WGT are leaving it alone. Enough gets broken every update as it is.

• HamdenPro
    2,418 Posts
    Fri, Apr 15 2022 6:41 AM

ct690911:
    "crack" programmers at WGT

You do not know that to be true, and I would never suggest that the WGT programmers are on crack, it just seems that way at times.

However, there is no question that they are dealing golf bags on the "dark web" because they certainly are not providing them here.

• craigswan
    31,000 Posts
    Fri, Apr 15 2022 8:29 AM

I just do not like the putting on this new version after flash .

Sometimes on a 3 foot putt i have to aim ar around 30 or 40 degrees away from the hole just to sink it on a sideways slope .

Never in real golf do i do that .

After the meter centre's on the ding i could grab a coffee waiting on the correct aiming angle .

• arkage57
    2,816 Posts
    Fri, Apr 15 2022 9:31 AM

craigswan:
    Sometimes on a 3 foot putt i have to aim ar around 30 or 40 degrees away from the hole just to sink it on a sideways slope .

It's the putts too that defy physics and logic-

You have a putt you need to hit firm. It has break all the way through the line (and some of these seemingly have no break). You give yourself plenty of curve, you ding the putt....

And off the putter face it is immediately veering to the side. How can you  hope to make a putt that does not even start on the line you aimed on?

Simple physics says that the ball will be moving the fastest off of the putter face, and therefore at the most resistance to gravitation slope issues, yet it seems that the biggest break we have to compensate for, is in the first foot of the putt!

As mentioned above, the absolute worst is the dead straight, the ants aren't moving at all putt, that you ding, and it starts off the putter face a foot off line.

Not sure how this was programmed originally, but it wasn't until well into my Legend tier that I stopped mentally fighting the logic and just started planning (as much as I could) with "this is how it is".

Ark

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,511 Posts
    Fri, Apr 15 2022 3:01 PM

garyk49:
    I was just trying to show, that yes, they can change the core aspects of the game.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong, Gary. The bottom line is we all want this game to be more realistic, more enjoyable, less glitchy and buggy, well in a word, make it better.

The reason why people like me being pessimistic is because most of times the more you hold your breath, the more frustrating it gets at the end in this world of WGT...

ct690911:

WGT continually promotes how many players are using the site (millions?). I think they purposely keep dead accounts for marketing purposes (allows them to inflate the overall numbers).

If WGT accurately reported how many accounts are actively playing, it would be much lower than they advertise.

*Nodding* Makes sense... So another thing that won't be done here.

arkage57:

You have a putt you need to hit firm. It has break all the way through the line (and some of these seemingly have no break). You give yourself plenty of curve, you ding the putt....

And off the putter face it is immediately veering to the side. How can you  hope to make a putt that does not even start on the line you aimed on?

Fully understand your frustrations. When I first started and learning the game (mostly putting), I read something here in the forums stating "Initial break breaks more than late break" which defied (still defies) all the knowledge I gained in RL golf and the laws of physics. And it was written by someone from the company so it couldn't be a sheer malarkey, I would say.

So yeah, you have to develop another putting rules and method independently from what you know or do in RL. Until this day after playing it for about 7 years now, it's still a contant battle against my intuition, visual perception & feeling every time I putt here.

RSS