Forums

Help › Forums

What Happened to the 2 Big Monthly's!?

Thu, Feb 10 2022 4:34 PM (205 replies)
  • HamdenPro
    2,418 Posts
    Sun, Feb 6 2022 1:26 PM

Been reading this thread, and totally did not want to jump in at all!!! But I do want to make one comment as to this...

Cicero733:
    One being an Amateur Championship open only to certain players below a certain threshold like tier or stroke average

I would think that having a special tournament, with payouts, only for certain "below threshold" players will only encourage more restarts and sandbaggers - IMHO

I totally agree with special tournaments for the elite and this is how I have always treated the big payouts tournaments anyway, in other words...not for people like me.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sun, Feb 6 2022 1:34 PM

Really Nico and people that would play in them need to take it from here.

Nico-What's possible to do?

I think the top 3 pay-out monthly open and multi-round sound ok. 

As an addition I was wondering during this if a high stakes rg that only pays top 3 would work but it's not a place I'd go so I don't really know.  The advantage would be it could be played as often as it filled but 20% of stakes would be lost. Also would it fill?  I suppose it's possible now there are no gift cards. 

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,513 Posts
    Sun, Feb 6 2022 1:57 PM

Cicero733:

Thinking out loud….what if WGT instituted a rotation of 5 “major” tournaments per year similar to the PGA. One being an Amateur Championship open only to certain players below a certain threshold like tier or stroke average; a Master’s Championship open to certain players by “invitation” only (Champions and above with a certain stroke average); and three Open type tournaments with an eighteen hole qualifier and a duration of a set number of rounds (or maybe one Open event for a Match Play championship). Prizes to be determined?

Another great proposal. But with no prizes.

I wish WGT would simply abolish credits, silver coins, prizes or any form of payout which are the source of evil so that people would play only for the true love of game & honour and pay from their pockets whenever they need something from the pro shop. I wouldn't mind paying for this game I love, but if you would, you can still play for free as it is now. Your call totally.

This will drastically reduce or even stop many cheats like restarting, sandbagging, coaching, selling credits under "gifting" disguise or in black market and what not.

Those who REALLY love the game will continue playing regardless and others who played for something else won't. Simple!

• Cicero733
    2,296 Posts
    Sun, Feb 6 2022 2:50 PM

HamdenPro:

Been reading this thread, and totally did not want to jump in at all!!! But I do want to make one comment as to this...

Cicero733:
    One being an Amateur Championship open only to certain players below a certain threshold like tier or stroke average

I would think that having a special tournament, with payouts, only for certain "below threshold" players will only encourage more restarts and sandbaggers - IMHO

I totally agree with special tournaments for the elite and this is how I have always treated the big payouts tournaments anyway, in other words...not for people like me.

Could possibly address this by stipulating in the entry requirements that players must have so many months of affiliation with WGT (like 12, 18, 24, etc) in order to qualify for entry into the tournament.

• SamSpayed
    4,909 Posts
    Sun, Feb 6 2022 3:28 PM

SimonTheBeetle:

I wish WGT would simply abolish credits, silver coins, prizes or any form of payout which are the source of evil so that people would play only for the true love of game & honour and pay from their pockets whenever they need something from the pro shop. I wouldn't mind paying for this game I love, but if you would, you can still play for free as it is now. Your call totally.

This will drastically reduce or even stop many cheats like restarting, sandbagging, coaching, selling credits under "gifting" disguise or in black market and what not.

Those who REALLY love the game will continue playing regardless and others who played for something else won't.

Great suggestion, Simon.  I think if WGT did that, and also made it so that any credits you have in your account (either purchased or earned through offers / surveys / videos) would be for your own personal use only, with no ability to gamble them or use them to gift items to others, I think there would be a lot more integrity in the game.  

Just my thoughts.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,513 Posts
    Sun, Feb 6 2022 4:17 PM

SamSpayed:
    I think if WGT did that, and also made it so that any credits you have in your account (either purchased or earned through offers / surveys / videos) would be for your own personal use only, with no ability to gamble them or use them to gift items to others, I think there would be a lot more integrity in the game.  

Can't possibly agree more, Scott.

• SamSpayed
    4,909 Posts
    Sun, Feb 6 2022 4:19 PM

Another couple thoughts on tournaments that might satisfy the top players' desire for competition:

• The WGT King's Cup takes place every week.  4 rounds of 18-hole single-play.  No reason why the top players couldn't play that for bragging rights.
    • WGT could set up a weekly / monthly / whatever tournament (or 2) with a tournament code (similar to what they did for Brett for the WGT Community's Pebble Beach Pro-Am).  They could maybe poll some of the top players to see what parameters they'd like to see (format, entry fees, payouts, tees, green speeds, wind conditions, who gets the code and who does not, etc.)

Maybe that would help keep the top players intrigued and interested.

• JSmithers
    1,263 Posts
    Sun, Feb 6 2022 7:32 PM

Hey everyone WGT is doing a sleeve giveaway on Facebook. Be sure to check it out....

• JSmithers
    1,263 Posts
    Sun, Feb 6 2022 7:33 PM

SamSpayed:
    The WGT King's Cup takes place every week.  4 rounds of 18-hole single-play.  No reason why the top players couldn't play that for bragging rights.

Shorter tees and easy conditions.  

That's reason 1 2 and 3

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Sun, Feb 6 2022 7:58 PM

JSmithers:

Hey everyone WGT is doing a sleeve giveaway on Facebook. Be sure to check it out....

Players can also enter on Twitter @wgtgolf

RSS