Forums

Help › Forums

What Happened to the 2 Big Monthly's!?

Thu, Feb 10 2022 4:34 PM (205 replies)
  • MioKontic
    4,599 Posts
    Sun, Feb 6 2022 10:08 AM

Ketket1:

All of us "mere mortal" average players can play other events but for the elite (Young46, ECC, fmagnets, sebicu etc - apologies for missing many out) there should be an event where they are challenged and pushed every round by players of similar quality. The reality is these guys will only get involved and battle it out if they are playing against their peers. They are already excellent at this game. Playing against the likes of me (and most others who have posted here) won't challenge them, won't improve them., Their improvement only comes against the best.

Totally agree, and no one has ever said any different.

Ketket1:

I'm pretty sure the credits aren't at top of mind for these guys.

And that's just the point, that's what started this thread, it seems credits are top of their minds, at least for those who have replied in this thread.

I have said if they love the game so much they should play for nothing at the end except to be known as 'the best in WGT" (and no, that's not Henry!)  After all, these guys don't need the credits, they are all credit-rich already, just look at the earnings leaderboard to see that.  Alternatively, it has been suggested that if these top players want a tournament to battle it out to see who is best, the payout is no more than equal to the total entry fees, with no extra given by WGT; as you said, and I've said, they don't need the extra credits, they already have plenty.  There has been no reply to that from those who initially started this thread, so it seems that's probably not good enough for them.

WGT is not here for the elite few, nor should it be, it's here for everyone who plays th game, so why should the elite few be given many thousands of credits to play for while the rest play for pittence, and when the elite don't need the credits anyway?

• ct690911
    7,200 Posts
    Sun, Feb 6 2022 10:32 AM

"WGT is not here for the elite few, nor should it be, it's here for everyone who plays th game, so why should the elite few be given many thousands of credits to play for while the rest play for pittence, and when the elite don't need the credits anyway?"

To wit, it is somewhat sad that the wealthy players never seem to be around when the "mere mortals" put on the charity events. If the top players have no use for the credits, why not donate them to 12 days of Xmas; Xmas in July, etc.?

Perhaps they donate outside of the formal framework. I know this is probably true in some cases. But, I don't recall seeing any of the elite posting gifting notices when the threads are up and running.

• HamdenPro
    2,418 Posts
    Sun, Feb 6 2022 10:50 AM

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Sun, Feb 6 2022 10:53 AM

@ct

That's because mere mortals ran the events. πŸ˜‰

For us, the credits really don't matter. The only reason I earn my 150 per day via videos is so I'm in a position to give. As an aside, I'll never understand all this angst about tournaments and competition. I'll definitely save my outrage for other atrocities of life. πŸ˜€

• Ketket1
    6,893 Posts
    Sun, Feb 6 2022 10:53 AM

One person started this thread. One person from CK. But when i read, and  re-read the original post, i believe it can be taken in 2 ways. It can be taken, as i think you have read it, that the single individual (expressing their own opinion and not necessarily that of the club members) is only concerned about the credits up for grabs. Which this individual is hardly likely to win based on stats. The other way it could be read is that this individual is wanting to maintain a tournament (or 2 events per month) where the elite of WGT will have a big incentive to play. Yes, that comes in the form of prize credits but lets not be overly altruistic in terms of everyones motives. I am sure Young46 and all the top golfers dont need the credits. What drives them Is competing against the best. Having a comp where many mortals like us don't enter (because it pays only top 3) works to ensure that only the top quality play (or those that are happy to waste their credits) will enter. 

WGT is absolutely not here for the elite.  As someone before me said, WGT makes most of their money off the middle class of golfers. You have the elite who win more than enough to cover their costs. You have those that don't (and never will) buy credits. Then you have a large number in between who will buy credits and keep WGT afloat. But in that middle ground, do we all play for pittance? No. Have a look at the monthly earning leaderboard. A number of Legends and TM are in there. And it's the same each month. To me its like every sport. If 100 people are playing a particular sport, only 3-4% will make it to the top and receive multi million dollar contracts. Some wont make it out of try outs. 

Should they play for nothing if they love the game. Again very altruistic. Other than Olympians, I cant think of too many that do. And i dont see it being questioned in the real world. In any sport, the best command huge money. Here the best can only compete for great "virtual money". But at the same time still leaving many many comps with decent credits to the players in the middle.  

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Sun, Feb 6 2022 10:58 AM

With respect to the OP, what can one say?

In the thread, people struck first, struck hard, and showed no mercy.

To take exception to that type of response is a bit ironic. πŸ˜‰

• xAmazingTrace
    122 Posts
    Sun, Feb 6 2022 11:06 AM

Robert1893:

Now that’s hilarious!!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Good one sir!

• ct690911
    7,200 Posts
    Sun, Feb 6 2022 11:08 AM

Robert1893:

@ct

That's because mere mortals ran the events. πŸ˜‰

For us, the credits really don't matter. The only reason I earn my 150 per day via videos is so I'm in a position to give. As an aside, I'll never understand all this angst about tournaments and competition. I'll definitely save my outrage for other atrocities of life. πŸ˜€

@Robert

I agree and have, unfortunately, seen a lot of it first hand in my previous line of work. That said, anything but golf related issues get jumped on really quick. So, in the big scheme wgt issues are not a deal, but it's all we got on this site.

• Ketket1
    6,893 Posts
    Sun, Feb 6 2022 11:09 AM

Robert1893:

One can read messages in different ways depending on one's predisposition to the initial post. Thats always been the problem with the written word. As someone who doesn't know anyone involved in the thread, I read every post carefully and with no predispositioned bias and i saw very  little "strike first, strike hard and show no mercy" attitudes. Ignorance yes. Inability to consider other views yes. Belligerance yes. A little bit of malice but from 13 pages of comments it was very minor. 

so I'm not really sure where the irony is here.  

• xAmazingTrace
    122 Posts
    Sun, Feb 6 2022 11:12 AM

Ketket1:

Robert1893:

One can read messages in different ways depending on one's predisposition to the initial post. Thats always been the problem with the written word. As someone who doesn't know anyone involved in the thread, I read every post carefully and with no predispositioned bias and i saw very  little "strike first, strike hard and show no mercy" attitudes. Ignorance yes. Inability to consider other views yes. Belligerance yes. A little bit of malice but from 13 pages of comments it was very minor. 

so I'm not really sure where the irony is here.  

He’s joking. Because I was pointing out that others fired shots at us first. Which is basically the motto of Cobra Kai. I got it. It was funny

RSS