Forums

Help › Forums

ODDS, ENDS and OTHER THINGS..

Fri, Apr 26 2024 6:49 AM (1,173 replies)
  • HamdenPro
    2,413 Posts
    Fri, Mar 25 2022 4:58 PM

THIS DAY IN HISTORY:

31 AD  First Easter

421 Venice is founded (at noon)

1199 Richard I is wounded by cross-brow eventually leading to his death

1306 Robert the Bruce becomes King of Scotland (cool)

1584 Sir Walter Raleigh is granted patent to colonize Virginia (I bet the Wanchese have something to say about that!!)

1634 Settlement of Maryland

1655 Saturn’s largest moon is discovered

1774 British Parliament passes the Boston Port Tax

1802 Treaty of Amiens is signed between England and France (Definitive Treaty of Peace)

1807 Swansea and Mumbles Railway (The Oystermouth Railway) becomes first passenger railway in world

1911 Famous Triangle Factory Fire in New York, NY Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire - Wikipedia

1934 1st Augusta Invitational Tournament (The Masters). Horton Smith wins with 20-foot birdie putt at the 17th hole, 1 stroke ahead of Craig Wood

1939 Billboard Magazine introduces Hillbilly Music Chart

1942 Aretha Franklin is born

1947 Sir Elton John was born (and stock in large sunglasses, platforms shoes and rhinestones went up)

1954 RCA comes out with 1st Color TV (12 -1/2” screen for $1,000)

1957 Europe’s Common Market founded

1958 Sugar Ray Robinson wins Middleweight title

1958 Canada’s Avro Arrow makes its first flight Avro Canada CF-105 Arrow - Wikipedia

1960 First guided missile launched (from Nuclear Sub)

1965 Martin Luther King, Jr. completed his walk from Selma to Montgomery, AL

1969 John Lennon and new bride Yoko Ono, on honeymoon, hold their “Bed in Peace”

1976 Wladimir Klitschko, former Heavyweight Champion, and current Mayor of Kviv, Ukraine, was born

1979 First fully assembled Space Shuttle, Columbia is delivered to Kennedy Space Center for its first flight

1992 Cosmonaut Sergei Krikalev returns from Mir Space Station after a 10 month stay

1995 WikiWikiWeb, world’s first “wiki” is made by Ward Cunningham

1996 European Union’s Veterinary Committee bans the export of British Beef due to Mad Cow Disease

2022 Introduction of First Issue of The Incredible Hoperman

HOPERMAN TO THE RESCUE - World Golf Tour (wgt.com)

• HamdenPro
    2,413 Posts
    Fri, Mar 25 2022 10:33 PM

• HamdenPro
    2,413 Posts
    Sat, Mar 26 2022 5:49 PM

• HamdenPro
    2,413 Posts
    Sun, Mar 27 2022 9:12 AM

I really do enjoy Rennaissance art....

• HamdenPro
    2,413 Posts
    Sun, Mar 27 2022 10:53 AM

• HamdenPro
    2,413 Posts
    Mon, Mar 28 2022 2:16 PM

Just wanted anyone, who reads this thread to know....

I started this thread as a vehicle to provide an area for anyone to post whatever they felt may be of interest, whether golf related or not, without having to start a new thread or refrain from posting a single item (as they may have felt it was not worth starting a new thread).

It was never my intention to have the first or last word and was not looking to duplicate what may be already in the forums, is was never my intention to have this become "my" thread.

As it appears it is, in fact, becoming "my" thread, I am going to stop, unless anyone else finds any enjoyment from reading what I have posted in this thread (not to be confused to what I have posted in others).

I thought this thread was a good idea, and provided an alternative place for members to enjoy but I may have thought wrong.

So, there it is....

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Mon, Mar 28 2022 2:40 PM

HamdenPro:
    I thought this thread was a good idea, and provided an alternative place for members to enjoy but I may have thought wrong.

Keep doing your thing.  It's fun, it's harmless and it reminds me of the forums of the older days.  ;-)  

HamdenPro:

LOL  this was a much needed chuckle.  

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Mon, Mar 28 2022 3:08 PM

"I thought this thread was a good idea, and provided an alternative place for members to enjoy but I may have thought wrong."

I fully concur with Hazen. With all the crap that's going on in the world, something as "gentle" as a thread like this is a great distraction. I would say it's almost cathartic.

ct

• DuFussMcGoo
    2,867 Posts
    Mon, Mar 28 2022 4:29 PM

HamdenPro:

Nope.

I read um, like um, chuckle at um, but if I have nothing important to say (or not), I don't reply.

'cept now............

• DuFussMcGoo
    2,867 Posts
    Mon, Mar 28 2022 4:45 PM

DuFussMcGoo:

'cept now............

...and now...

RSS