Forums

Help › Forums

ODDS, ENDS and OTHER THINGS..

Fri, Apr 26 2024 6:49 AM (1,173 replies)
  • HamdenPro
    2,417 Posts
    Mon, Mar 7 2022 5:14 PM

Remember, help wanted in finding the wooden signs on Chambers Bay #8 and 9.

There is a REWARD!!!

For more info check out the Chambers Bay REDUX thread and reply therein with any questions.

OPYEUCLID endorses this message.

• HenryKawa
    1,721 Posts
    Tue, Mar 8 2022 10:34 AM

HP. Thank you for using the Ukrainian Flag logo.  I sickens me what is happening over there.   It's so nice to see the support from you and so many other people as well.   The Ukrainian people are fighting for their lives every day.  They are my people - my heritage - my relatives.   So again - thank you, thank you, thank you.  You are the best!

• HamdenPro
    2,417 Posts
    Fri, Mar 11 2022 10:49 AM

Mary Shelly's Frankenstein was first published this day in 1818.  The first edition recently sold at auction for $1,170,000.00

A page from her handwritten manuscript:

• HamdenPro
    2,417 Posts
    Fri, Mar 11 2022 11:34 AM

Although not as important as Frankenstein, these other events happened, today in history, as well:

537 AD  Goths lay siege to Rome

1702 1st English daily newspaper "Daily Courant" publishes

1774 English auction Southbeys holds it first auction (books)

1823  First “normal” U.S. School opens (Concord Academy, Concord, VT)

1855 Remember the Movie “Gangs of New York”? Well, in this day, in 1855 William Poole “Bill the Butcher” is buried in Brooklyn, NY

1869 The West first learns of the Giant Panda via French missionary Armand David who receives a skin from a hunter

1882 Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association organized in Princeton, New Jersey

1918  First recorded case of Flu in the US. This is officially the start of the “Flu Epidemic” (OMG!!!, I thought it was in March, 2019).

1922 Western Hockey Championship: Vancouver Millionaires (PCHA) sweep Regina Capitals, in 2 games

1924 Eden Phillpotts' "Farmer's Wife" premieres in London

1927 First Golden Gloves Boxing tournament

1930 William Taft, American 27th President & Chief Justice buried in Arlington Cemetery

1935 Bank of Canada first opens on Wellington Street, Ottawa

TOO MANY BAD THINGS HAPPENED, NOT ENOUGH GOOD, ON THIS DAY, BETWEEN 1939-1958 IMHO

1959  Lorraine Hansberry's stage drama "A Raisin in the Sun", 1st Broadway play by a black woman, starring Ruby Dee and Sidney Poitier, opens at the Ethel Barrymore Theatre, NYC; later transfers to the Belasco Theatre; runs for 530 performances

1960 Pioneer 5 launched into solar orbit between Earth & Venus

OMG, MANY MORE BAD THINGS ON THIS DAY UNTIL 1983…

1983 Ice Pairs Championship at Helsinki won by Valova & Vasiliev (Soviet Union)

1983 Ladies' Figure Skating Championship in Helsinki won by Rosalynn Sumners (USA)

1986 1 million days since the foundation of Rome on April 21st, 753 BC

1988 British pound note ceases to be legal tender, replaced by one pound coin

1995 Yolanda Chen hop-skip-jumps world indoor record 15.03

1997 Paul McCartney is knighted

2009 WGT member Claremoreblue hit a 285 yard drive!!!!

Obviously, there are so many events that happen, which I omit, when posting "this day in history".  I intentionally ignore historical events relating to most disasters, wars, conflicts and other engagements, including changes in power or bad relations among countries. Unfortunately, there is way too much of such events, and suffering in our shared histories.

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Fri, Mar 11 2022 12:56 PM

"  I intentionally ignore historical events relating to most disasters, wars, conflicts and other engagements, including changes in power or bad relations among countries."

No one can blame you there, Steff. I don't even watch the news anymore. I just cherry pick articles on the web that I can read. There are no winners in war, regardless of which side claims victory.

ct

• PureGro1
    1,656 Posts
    Sat, Mar 12 2022 7:31 AM

HamdenPro:
    I intentionally ignore historical events relating to most disasters, wars, conflicts and other engagements, including changes in power or bad relations

same way I look at first marriage...

• HamdenPro
    2,417 Posts
    Mon, Mar 14 2022 2:16 PM

Lucy Robson - showing off with party games..

• HamdenPro
    2,417 Posts
    Mon, Mar 14 2022 2:28 PM

OK< this is cool...

Did you know that the location where Robert Goddard first liquid fuleed rocket is now a golf course?  

Pakachoag Golf Course in Auburn, MA.  Back on March 16, 1926, it was Asa Ward's farm and used by Goddard as his outdoor laboratory..

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Mon, Mar 14 2022 2:58 PM

HamdenPro:

Lucy Robson - showing off with party games..

She defo gives Paige Spiranac a run for her money..:)

just sayin'

ct

• Cicero733
    2,294 Posts
    Mon, Mar 14 2022 4:25 PM

She defo gives Paige Spiranac a run for her money..:)

The Jan Stephenson of the 21st century I guess.

RSS