Forums

Help › Forums

ODDS, ENDS and OTHER THINGS..

Wed, Apr 10 2024 1:08 AM (1,171 replies)
  • HamdenPro
    2,412 Posts
    Thu, Mar 3 2022 3:10 PM

• HamdenPro
    2,412 Posts
    Fri, Mar 4 2022 7:54 AM

Today in history....

Martyrdom of Saint Adrian of Nicomedia - 306 AD

Frederick I. Barbarossa elected Holy Roman Emperor - 1152

Anne Boleyn makes her first appearance at the English court - 1522

England grants Royal Charter to Massachusetts Bay colony - 1628

William Penn given charter as sole proprietor of Pennsylvania territory - 1681

First sighting of Orion Nebula - 1774

1st US Congress meets and declares constitution in effect (9 senators, 13 reps) - 1789

Vermont admitted as 14th state (1st addition to the 13 colonies) - 1791

Oranges introduced to Hawaii - 1792

Thomas Jefferson, 1st President to be inaugurated in Wash. D.C. -  1801

(US Presidential Inauguration, with few exceptions, up until 1937, took place on March 4)

1st US railroad chartered, Granite Railway in Quincy, Massachusetts - 1826

Chicago becomes incorporated as a city - 1837

Territory of Idaho established - 1863

Tchaikovski's incomplete ballet "Zwanenmeer" premieres in Moscow - 1877

Sherlock Holmes & Dr. Watson have 1st case together in "A Study in Scarlet" - 1881

Longest bridge in Great Britain, the Forth Bridge (railway) 1,710 ft long is opened in Scotland - 1890

American Automobile Association (AAA) founded in Chicago - 1902

1st vampire film "Nosferatu", an un-authorized adaptation of Bram Stoker's Dracula, premieres at the Berlin Zoological Garden, Germany - 1922

"Happy Birthday To You" published by Claydon Sunny - 1924

Babe Ruth becomes the highest-paid player in MLB history when he signs 3-year, $70,000 per season contract with the New York Yankees - 1927

Emma Fahning bowls 1st sanctioned 300 game by a woman - 1930

Don Bradman is bowled for a rare first ball duck by Herman Griffith (4-50) on the last day of 5th cricket Test vs West Indies in Sydney; - 1931

First flight of Hindenburg at Friedrichshafen, Germany -  1936

Chicago Black Hawks goaltender Sam LoPresti faces NHL record 83 shots in a 3-2 loss to the Bruins in Boston - 1941

United Kingdom's Princess Elizabeth (later Queen Elizabeth II), joins the British Auxiliary Transport Service as a driver - 1945

Security Council of UN recommends membership for Israel - 1949

First successful kidney transplant- 1954

First "Fax" across continent  - 1955

US Pioneer IV misses Moon & becomes 2nd (US 1st) artificial planet - 1959

Jimmy Hoffa convicted of jury tampering - 1964

Men's Figure Skating Championship in Vienna won by Emmerich Danzer - 1967

Women's Figure Skating Championship in Vienna won by Peggy Fleming - 1967

NY Rangers set then NHL record of 126 games without being shut-out - 1970

2nd double hat trick in Islander history-Bossy & D Potvin - 1982

Bertha Wilson is appointed as first woman to sit on the Supreme Court of Canada - 1982

The Louvre Pyramid designed by I. M. Pei is inaugurated by French President François Mitterrand in Paris - 1989

John Candy passed away - 1994

Brazil Senate allows women to wear slacks - 1997

The Papal Conclave begins to select the successor of Pope Benedit XVI - 2013

OPY spills beans about DaddysKat's birthday and destroys her neighbor's barn - 2014

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Fri, Mar 4 2022 9:47 AM

1st US Congress meets and declares constitution in effect (9 senators, 13 reps) - 1789

Not 100% certain on this one. I believe it’s something like the Constitution went into effect (by date), 1st Congress met in NYC, but immediately adjourned due to the lack of a quorum (Ted Cruz was vacationing in Mexico). It’s one of those “technical” things that appear in trivia games and contests at times.

• HamdenPro
    2,412 Posts
    Fri, Mar 4 2022 10:25 AM

Cicero733:

Not 100% certain on this one. I believe it’s something like the Constitution went into effect (by date), 1st Congress met in NYC

"The Congress of the United States established by the new Constitution met for the first time at New York City's Federal Hall on March 4, 1789"

The Constitution had already gone into effect. The Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia had concluded on September 17, 1787. It was then sent to the states for ratification. Massachusetts refused to ratify it (for good reasons such. Mass wanted to include the right to freedom of speech, religion and the press, as well as bear arms - WAY TO GO MASS!!).

After much debate, and compromise, the last State (NH) ratified the Constitution and the first Government of the United States was scheduled to begin, on March 4, 1789, which, it did when the 1st Congress of the United States met in NYC.

• opyeuclid
    6,706 Posts
    Fri, Mar 4 2022 2:45 PM

HamdenPro:
    OPY spills beans about DaddysKat's birthday and destroys her neighbor's barn - 2014

Just had to dig that up,   Do a girl a favor and get her off moderation and this is how she repays you ,

OPY

• HamdenPro
    2,412 Posts
    Fri, Mar 4 2022 3:15 PM

opyeuclid:
    Just had to dig that up,   Do a girl a favor and get her off moderation and this is how she repays you

LOL. I am sorry but it did seem to be an important event in history. It is part of the WGT historical chronicles. 

In all fairness, it was never conclusively determined that you were actually the cause of the fire. If I recall, you were not even present when they were playing golf in the barn.

I will say, the forums seemed a lot more entertaining then. (IMO)

I am deeply appreciative of your lobbying for moderation free status on my behalf.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, was Lynx one of your cats, another WGT member, or both?

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Fri, Mar 4 2022 4:15 PM

After much debate, and compromise, the last State (NH) ratified the Constitution and the first Government of the United States was scheduled to begin, on March 4, 1789, which, it did when the 1st Congress of the United States met in NYC.

Yep, they met, but they adjourned after calling the meeting to order due to a lack of a quorum. I believe it took one more day before the necessary quorum was assembled.

“After much debate, and compromise,”

Another interesting fact. Part of that debate included the publication of the “Federalist Papers”, which surprisingly, although written as nothing more than a marketing tool to sell the new Constitution by three individuals who firmly believed that the govt of the people, by the people, and for the people, would always be a tight knit clique of federalist leaning landed gentry who would insure that control of the govt would remain in the hands of the propertied class, became a foundational document used frequently by our judicial system. They seemed to have forgetten that they were mortals like everybody else and their concept of govt representation was stood on end when John Quincy Adams, the last of their breed, lost re-election to Andy Jackson.

• opyeuclid
    6,706 Posts
    Fri, Mar 4 2022 4:22 PM

HamdenPro:
    In all fairness, it was never conclusively determined that you were actually the cause of the fire.

I was in the out house was my story and I am sticking to that .

HamdenPro:
    the forums seemed a lot more entertaining then.

Thats so true ,  I wish you could have been there , I think you would have fit in well with that bunch .

HamdenPro:
    was Lynx one of your cats,

No , but she was a mink !    sorry my bad .

OPY

• opyeuclid
    6,706 Posts
    Sat, Mar 5 2022 5:19 PM

Something other : 

take the time and listen to a tune , 

Robin Trower ,  blue bird  

OPY 

• HamdenPro
    2,412 Posts
    Sat, Mar 5 2022 5:50 PM

opyeuclid:

take the time and listen to a tune , 

Robin Trower ,  blue bird

I never heard of this song. I checked it out on YouTube, very beautiful melody. Granted, I just came from Campfire dispensary in West Boylston, MA and had sampled some wicked Sativa.... The blue bird fading in and out totally mesmerized me - LOL

I loved it. Ty for sharing.

RSS