Forums

Help › Forums

Degree's of wind

Wed, Jan 19 2022 10:48 AM (61 replies)
  • HamdenPro
    2,413 Posts
    Mon, Dec 6 2021 5:53 AM

Cicero733:
    will there be a need to modify formulas completely or will we be able to develop a simple equation that will just put everything on it’s head

I did not wish to hijack this thread but, as you have raised some serious concerns, and at the risk of causing further confusion to those that find it difficult to grasp HamdenPhysics, I will attempt to address your concerns.

Due to the uncertainty as to when the next polar shift will occur, which, by the way, we are long overdue for such a change, and given that our axis has already shifted 5.44 miles over the last few months alone, modifying any formulas would be an exercise in futility.

Notwithstanding, I would like to offer a few suggestions:

1.  The easiest change, but at great expense, you could relocate 1.23 miles to the south west from your then current position, every 4.41 hours, to account for the amount of shift in any given 24 hour period (except, of course, during the first week of the new year which would be 29 hours, give or take depending on your drink of choice))This will make it difficult to complete any full round but you will be able to experience more courses in a shorter period of time;

2.  A less costly adjustment, but not as accurate as #1, would be to play the ball further back in your stance and close your downwind eye when driving (ignore the you tube video about spinning twice before hitting. It is not only misleading but will make you sick).

3.  Purchase a turkey hat from the pro-shop.(This really will not help your game but they are on sale and only two people have bought them so far).

I would like to add, due to the recent investment by our leaders, to vacuum the atmosphere, all formulas derived will have to account for the effect of emptying the large bags of particles into the oceans.

If you are really interested in the mystical aspects of swing adjustment, and why playing in drag may improve your game, especially if you have dimples, I suggest you wait until the release of my book  "Existential Golf in the Covid Era".

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Mon, Dec 6 2021 9:25 AM

Book sounds like a good idea. Will it be available through Amazon? An updated text in my library will definitely be a welcomed addition as my current instructional book is a little dated. I acquired that book from an Explorers’ Club member. It’s etched into stone tablets he found beneath the walls of Machu Picchu and he has confirm via carbon dating that the text was written some 8,000 years ago by a visiting ancient alien astronaut who had a wicked slice and carved the text with his laser enhanced chisel to memorialize his visit here and to share ancient secrets about the game of golf. 

• HamdenPro
    2,413 Posts
    Mon, Dec 6 2021 10:04 AM

Cicero733:
    It’s etched into stone tablets he found beneath the walls of Machu Picchu and he has confirm via carbon dating that the text was written some 8,000 years ago by a visiting ancient alien astronaut who had a wicked slice and carved the text with his laser enhanced chisel to memorialize his visit here and to share ancient secrets about the game of golf. 

OMG, you totally had me believing you, especially since I have copies of a cook book provided by the Greys. However, I realized that you must have been mistaken. It is quite obvious that you have a forgery of the original manuscripts as any text produced 8,000 years ago would not have been to share ancient secrets since, at the time, they were not ancient...Good try, you almost had me.

Let's try to keep this thread free of misinformation and exaggeration.

As an aside, do you think that the aliens that traveled here called themselves Astronauts or %@$_)*%@? Unless of course, the term originated with them.  Also, is there a need to add the word "enhanced" when referring to the Laser Chisel or would simply saying Laser Chisel do? Although, if for conversations sake, the Laser Chisel belonged to someone, say like PureGro, I would imagine, it certainly would be enhanced and, quite possibly, edible.

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Mon, Dec 6 2021 11:19 AM

sounds like this discussion has moved more towards what could be defined on another tool for measuring wind - on the "ripter scale" or the degree to which one is capable of ripping flatulance at length .. ie talking out of one's *** or "passing wind" - all interesting and done in fun no doubt, so I will put this up there around 7.7 out of 10 on the ripter scale on WGT.

Well done - and thanks for the laugh.

• colzy66
    13 Posts
    Mon, Dec 6 2021 11:51 AM

Hi Scott.

What I have got now is on my clock face for wind is 

3 and 9 is 0%

12 and 6 is 100%

Half way between 1 and 2 is 50%

Roughly half way between 2 and 3 is 25%

Roughly half way between 1 and 2 is 75%.

Those percentages don't need to be exact, it's just to give me near enough wind percentages.

Does that look OK to you.

Colin

• HamdenPro
    2,413 Posts
    Mon, Dec 6 2021 2:23 PM

el3n1:
    7.7 out of 10 on the ripter scale on WGT.

Very astute to compare the physics behind flight (combination of velocity, trajectory and gravitational force) to the ripter scale. As every 1st year student of HamdenPhysics is required to make a comparison between predicting forces necessary to release a golf ball, and project it great distances, and the propulsion of flatulence.

The calculations Cicero and I were discussing are very similar to those which comprise the ripter scale.

You see, " .... combined with pressure, which is determined by how bloated we feel, e.g. how painful the pre-event sensation is, as well as the shape of the keester, the fart mass will be used to calculate the lift force..." (internal citations omitted). The fart mass and size of one's driver is somewhat interchangeable in the calculations. This would lead one to rightly presume, imho, that the more, and lengthy, flatulence one has, the farther one can hit the ball.

Again, please keep in mind, this is all basic theory, to delve deeper would require a thorough knowledge of HamdenQuantumPhysics (HQP). 

EDIT: Seriously!!! Only a 7.7 - tough crowd....

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Mon, Dec 6 2021 4:40 PM

Yes, all in fun…

• ScottHope
    10,094 Posts
    Tue, Dec 7 2021 9:02 AM

colzy66:
    Hi Scott. What I have got now is on my clock face for wind is...

It's probably an okay place to start with Colin, but you may find yourself tweaking them if your shots go long or short.

Scott.

• HamdenPro
    2,413 Posts
    Tue, Dec 7 2021 10:00 AM

Scott

Sorry I kinda caused the thread to get hijacked. It was not my intent. My first post was "tongue in cheek" but it is true that, when calculating the offset for wind, I do use my arm to simulate the big hand of a clock so I can visualize better (straight overhead being 12). It is equally true that there is such a thing as HamdenPhysics but I seem to be the only one that knows about it

As for the, presumptively, unwanted hijacking, another is to blame as he got me started and I sorta got carried away. In future, if my contribution is not really necessary, please feel free to post on my wall "SHUT UP" and I will.

• SamSpayed
    4,901 Posts
    Tue, Dec 7 2021 10:12 AM

ScottHope:

colzy66:
    Hi Scott. What I have got now is on my clock face for wind is...

It's probably an okay place to start with Colin, but you may find yourself tweaking them if your shots go long or short.

The percentages on Scott's clock face in THIS POST are the correct percentages to use, based on actual math (trigonometry).  They are not tweaks.  If you use anything else, you're not using correct math.

Don't know how to explain it any simpler than that.

RSS