Forums

Help › Forums

Unrealitic scores.

Sat, Dec 19 2009 10:46 AM (83 replies)
  • TarheelsRule
    5,482 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2009 1:41 PM
    This obviously isn't real life however I can say that if you have a scratch handicap, that means that the average of your 10 best rounds out of 20 equal that. That being said, I can also say that about 15 years ago I had a scratch handicap and would often shoot rounds in the high 60's. I can't believe somone with a scratch handicap has trouble breaking 70 on his home course. In here you hit the right drive the right 2nd shot and you have a short put for birdie. I am an extremely bad putter on here compared to some I know and have played against. I have hit 9 greens a number of times with all shots within 15 feet and shot 4 under, I can assure you that some of the better putters can do that as well and shoot 8 or 9 under.
  • birdwell
    561 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2009 3:50 PM

Bravelight:
    When will we see the players leave their putters in the locker, and hole out from outside the greens?

You mean like this?

lol. this was from a 9 hole single play a few weeks ago at Kiawah.

the explanation?  PURE LUCK!

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2009 3:51 PM

OK resized the image above.

The thing that kills me about this round is that I missed so many easy putts.... especially those par 5's.

But hey I'll take a 30, even with only 2 birdies!

• geeDub
    41 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2009 6:59 PM

Very good BirdWell.  My fourth Eagle was on that very same Par 5 at Kiawah.  The most UNBELIEVABLE one for me was on Beth at #4.  That truly felt like the ace I've yet to hit.  lol 

As far as this being "unrealistic scores" on WGT...?  No way.  TOTALLY realistic to me...and it TRULY IS THE BEST GOLF GAME out there bar none.  (in spite of the stupid meter lag/glitch/jerky/jump thingy)  ;)  ~G.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2009 7:28 PM

SweetiePie:
    professional golfers worldwide who make their living playing the game of golf were regulated to play only two golf courses, week in and week out with the same exact pin locations, it is my belief that we would see scores in concert with what we see here delivered by WGT's very best players.

SP, You said it best. There's nothing else to say.

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Tue, Dec 8 2009 2:35 AM

Hi All,

Just as an aside. Just been watching Adam Scott win the Aussie Masters this weekend.

On one of the par 5's he drove the ball 359 yards !! FACT !!  Most of the players were getting birdies or eagles on the hole. Just the conditions on the day.

WGT - Unrealistic. Not really.

Cheers Doug

• Blackwood
    32 Posts
    Fri, Dec 11 2009 12:44 PM
    Yesterday I was watching the golf channel and a player shot a 6 iron 246 yards within a few feet of the pin. There is no club available in WGT to do that!
  • Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Dec 11 2009 2:40 PM

Blackwood:
    and a player shot a 6 iron 246 yards within a few feet of the pin.

gotta call you on that one.... 

Can you produce a name for us to verify?

From this page we find the following:

• 174 Average yardage PGA Tour players hit their 6-irons from the fairway, according to ShotLink data.
    • 182.8 Average yardage a PGA Tour player says he hits a 6-iron, according to Golf Digest research for What's In My Bag articles.
    • 189 Average yardage PGA Tour players hit their 6-irons from the tee, according to ShotLink data.
    • 195 Charles Howell III's stated 6-iron distance, the longest of the last 45 players to appear in Golf Digest's What's In My Bag articles.
    • 204.5 Average yardage of a 6-iron when hit by the swing robot (100-mph swing speed) at Golf Laboratories Inc., the San Diego-based golf-research firm.
    • 215 Longest 6-iron yardage recorded by the swing robot.
    • 230 Average yardage Jason Zuback, five-time and current world long-drive champ, says he hits a 6-iron.

Granted, this information is 2 years old...but I doubt that even today's technology will allow a 246 yard 6-iron.

So, please provide a name and event so we can verify.  Thanks!  

• geeDub
    41 Posts
    Fri, Dec 11 2009 3:00 PM

It's doable.  John Daly once hit a 644 yard hole in two using driver and 6 iron.  Look it up.  Of course,  it was downhill off the box...but,  as the oldest saying in golf goes ..."it's not how....it's how _____"   What?

79 Posts
    Fri, Dec 11 2009 4:23 PM

Snaike:
    So, please provide a name and event so we can verify.  Thanks

I am afraid we are getting some urban legends. 

RSS