Forums

Help › Forums

Unrealitic scores.

Sat, Dec 19 2009 10:46 AM (83 replies)
  • Bravelight
    17 Posts
    Sat, Dec 5 2009 12:33 AM
    When, some day, we will be able to play St. Andrews here, it shall be interesting to see the WGT stars beat the course record. Will that be realistic golf?
  • birdwell
    561 Posts
    Sat, Dec 5 2009 7:14 AM

Bravelight:
    When, some day, we will be able to play St. Andrews here, it shall be interesting to see the WGT stars beat the course record. Will that be realistic golf?

No, it won't be realistic. We will be able to put in dozens of rounds in a month. (time permitting of course) A feat that is impossible in reality.

When you can repeat the same steps hundreds of times, you will eventually step in the right place.

• cobra4
    359 Posts
    Sat, Dec 5 2009 8:02 AM

Just a question i would like to add is this. These mid 50-60 scores, are these scores achieved in multiplay games or achieved  when one is playing on there own ?

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Sat, Dec 5 2009 8:35 AM

O.E.D.-Realistic-1) having a sensible and practical idea of what can be achieved or expected.

I think the record shows what can be achieved and I "expect" to see the same low numbers within a week of St. Andrews release. Why? I think that`s been explained already. Hundreds of rounds on the Same two courses and the Same pin placements. Oh, and lets not forget, course management and execution have a Little to do with it also. It`s also called "talent"(wink).

To be fair, if Tiger and Phil played these two courses twice a day for a year, I would "expect" to see very low averages from both of them. Yet I think Tiger would have the better one because of his course management and execution-ie-Talent. The talented players on this site have put in the hours(and hundreds of rounds) that are reflected by their scores. To begrudge them that based on "reality" seems to lack some perspective on your part.

O.E.D.-Realistic-2) representing things in a way that is accurate and true to life.

This opens the door to debate as far as "true to life" goes. A computer game "true to life" comes down to ones own expectations imo and I`m not looking for a debate but, I am trying to give some perspective on the matter. There are also Very few variables in this game compared to "real life golf". Wind direction and the "beast"(WGT`s deviation factor to represent RLG)are all there is.  I think that in several months time and hundreds of rounds under your belt you will have a different perspective regarding these issues. Remember also that a players amount of "ranked rounds" only represents about half the amount of the time and practice involved because practice and multi play are not recorded. If you`re not interested in doing the same amount of "work" then don`t expect the same( or close to the same) results. TANSTAAFL(There aint no such thing as a free lunch).

Now I need to end this short story and get back to "work". Enjoy the game and good luck!

Regarding "double accounts" and sandbaggers, this will have to wait until Vol.2,lol

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sat, Dec 5 2009 9:24 AM
    Cobra 4, I would say both, the scores in the tournaments are certainly in single mode, but I have been involved in rounds where the same scores have been shot! Sneak into mIRC and play a few, it will happen trust me!
  • Bravelight
    17 Posts
    Sat, Dec 5 2009 10:17 AM

If it was not so time consuming and complicated (for the programmers) new pin placements could be the cure against too low scores. Scores must be in line with real life.

But when a player, after seven days of  WGT membership, can  become a master with an average of about 62, new greens every second hour would possibly not be enough.

Maybe we have to live with these low scores, but then the game is no more "The Worlds  most realistic  golfgame."

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Sat, Dec 5 2009 11:39 AM

I`ll reply to these things out of order.

First; If someone is scoring that low in only seven days it`s most likely an experienced WGT player who has opened a second account because their values are So skewed that they feel rewarded by winning a few cents and some virtual trophies.

Second; The ideas of pin placements, stance, lie, et. al.  have been suggested ad nauseam  and WGT has stated, ad nauseam, they are "looking into this" or "we are working on this" etc.. The idea of a beta is for a give and take of ideas so one day a more perfect result is the outcome. I have personally read hundreds of separate  threads here saying the same thing and have seen maybe 5% of these come to fruition and 80%  "still working on it".

Third; Whenever I see "The Worlds Best", or "The Most-this, that, or the other" my eyes glaze over as they`re rolling. However, in this case it`s all relative to what You perceive as "most". For starters use the "Search" box to the top right of this page and look up - TWO is cartoon golf, and you`ll begin to understand where things stand.

Last; If you know of a site that IS more realistic....PLEASE SHARE!!

Cheers

• TaterNater
    545 Posts
    Sat, Dec 5 2009 12:09 PM

1St and foremost u have to realize the pins haven't changed in a year. Hence ur low scores on the island course.Haven't changed on bp since it's been out either.Low scores are gonna happen cause people know where to put the ball exactly every time for the easiest putt.lThere is no randomness what soever. To some of wgt's elite, they been playin the same pin locations for so long it's like clockwork to them. Therefore u will not change the low scores until u have different pin locations. It's as simple that. The pin locations have to be random so u don't know where ur shootin at every hole.

• pompamike
    108 Posts
    Sat, Dec 5 2009 1:07 PM

What am i doing wrong here started playing WGT in june 09  became a (master or so they made me) in august or sept dont remember. My best round to date is a paultry 61 out of 347 total ranked rounds. So in the 6 months ive played here at an average of 2 rounds a day my scores dont reflect the time and money ive put into this game. I am sure there are players out here who play alot more than i do and there scores show it. But lets be honest here to consistantly shoot in the low to mid 50s is pretty unrealistic even playing every day on the same course with the winds and greens the in the same place. With all the glitches in the swing meter (unless im the only 1 with that problem) it seems to me that somehow those low scores would be very rare instead of as common as they are.  

Thanks for letting me vent

Pompamike

• Downbylaw11
    16 Posts
    Sat, Dec 5 2009 1:30 PM

if by glitches you mean the bar skipping or freezing during your swing causing you to either to miss the center by a little or a lot unless the skip happens early enough in the swing where you can just give up on that swing and try it again.  yeah, thats annoying as hell and happens a lot, especially if youre running many programs at once i believe.  it happens to me at least 4 or 5 times in a round where my shot will be drastically changed becuase of that.   maybe some of these other guys have 3 gigs of ram.  if its an issue on wgt's end, then it would seem impossible to put up 59's all the time. 

also,  my putting bar gets super choppy on putts that are 20 feet or greater. anyone else experience that?

RSS