Forums

Help › Forums

Unrealitic scores.

Sat, Dec 19 2009 10:46 AM (83 replies)
  • Downbylaw11
    16 Posts
    Fri, Dec 4 2009 3:49 PM

I've been playing for a while and steadily improved.  But I don't see how its possible to shoot 2 rounds in the 50's at bethpage black.  it made sense to me for some of the easy courses, but bethpage black offers no forgiveness in the rough and all greens have a foot or more of break in every putt.  yes, practice can get you a long way in this game, but I dont think its crazy of me to suggest that there may be something shifty going on with some of the players

also, to the people who said shooting in the 50's is common, you should probably start following actual golf and realize that in official rounds,  59 has only been shot a handful of times in the history of the game. 

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Dec 4 2009 4:01 PM

Downbylaw11:
    I've been playing for a while and steadily improved.  But I don't see how its possible to shoot 2 rounds in the 50's at bethpage black. [...]

yes, practice can get you a long way in this game, but I dont think its crazy of me to suggest that there may be something shifty going on with some of the players

Many of those top players have been practicing for nearly 2 years now.  It stands to reason that when you only have 2 courses to play, you will eventually learn them inside and out.  It's really not that hard to ding the meter on a consistent basis, especially once you find the groove.

Unfortunately, this is the typical "I don't understand therefore it can't be possible" argument that gets all the conspiracy theorists riled up.  Those rounds were played from the white tees.  The best players can easily shoot low 60's and the occasional 59 from the blue tees on Bethpage with high winds.  Move them up 30 yards per hole on the average and wham-o, there's some low scores to be had.

If PGA Tour Pros were playing tournaments from the equivalent of the Seniors Tees and playing the same course (and pins) week in and week out then they too would be shooting in the 50's consistently.

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Fri, Dec 4 2009 4:10 PM

Downbylaw11, if you compare par 3 and par 4 score averages with some of the old masters that have been here a long time, you can see the difference. you avg over par on those two, and under par on the par 5's. You also have a one putt % of 30.5, I have a one putt % of 53.7, that is how you shoot 59's and 60's. simply putting once per hole will do it for you. You can buy anything they have for sale, but you still have to hit the shots. Good shooting to everyone!!

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Fri, Dec 4 2009 4:25 PM

There seems to be a "need" to reach Master level by many in here. They want the best clubs but want them for free. They want the meter to be slow so they can more easily hit the perfect shot every time. Then they complain when they hit an errant shot and DEMAND the meter be fixed and "Give me free credits and the ball I lost!!! "

Well, I just want to have fun playing a decent round and enjoy the company of others that feel the same way. I spent $20.00, bought a driver and a putter, and buy the slightly better balls at 10 credits per sleeve.

So what if I can't hit 350 yard drives like Tiger or 160 yard 9 irons. I can't do it in real life so I shouldn't expect it here.

For the little I've spent I can play Kiawah consistently in the low 70s and occasionally break par. To get back to reality I play BPB and score 8 or 10 over par. I may even buy a better set of irons soon so I can get close to par there. 

But, I enjoy the game. I may move to the ladder site so I can play more multi-player rounds without disconnects from some Master wannabe that disconnects after 2 or 3 holes if he/she is 2 over par.

Enough for my little rant. But I tire of reading about "lost credits" or lost balls, or unreasonable scores. Who cares?? Enjoy life, and enjoy WGT.

• Downbylaw11
    16 Posts
    Fri, Dec 4 2009 5:09 PM

this isnt about me and how i can't get 59. I know I can get way better in pretty much all parts of this game. so dont give me this 'your putting % is this, and mine is that, so thats why you suck' bullshit. I'm not flat out accusing people of having an unfair advantage, I just think some of the scores being put up dont make sense when you look at how a course is set up.

lets assume youre in the middle of a fairway on bethpage with a 20 foot evelvated green, that is fast, and the pin is about 5 feet from the front of the green surrounded by thick rough. ok, you've got your club, calculated the wind and elevated green adjustment bla bla bla. you hit your shot perfect on the meter and your shot lands right on the front of the green, then procees to roll all the way to the back of the green because of the speed. and thats assuming your finger is precise enough to click the meter in the center, which of course I am not always able to do due to concentration, or little internet lags and chop issues.

so, now the only reasoning I can think of that someone could hit amazing shots is that they know exactly where to hit the ball to put it within 5 feet of the pin everytime, or that once you reach master, you are allowed to purchase clubs that literally negate fast greens and stop the ball dead where its landed. because like i mentioned, I can't see anyone being so good at putting in this game that they can consistently make putts that are 15 feet+ with any amount of break in them, unless they have some mathmatical theorem of how to line up putts. If you want people to believe that scores in the 50s on bethpage are legit, then by all means, please post a video of you doing it on youtube or something so we can all watch and apologize.

• salamii
    1,058 Posts
    Fri, Dec 4 2009 5:49 PM

Wow I can't believe my reply to this thread was taken off so quickly. Considering all the other rubbish they leave on for days and weeks .    I must have pissed off some very important people which I do occasionally.   The person who leads the Dec multi round open shooting 57 in the 1st round, after only being a member less than a week. This is pure B.S. You could take 50 of the best sandbaggers we have,put them all together to make 1 superbagger  and still  would not match the stats that this person has in his books.    84.42 % Driving accuracy.

Greens in regulation 80.30%  All this in only 14 rounds Yeah right.  Obviously this is the work of some of our superstars.  What a shame, I guess winning 75% of all the tourneys already isn't enough. They need it all to satisfy their greed and egos.  For what a computer game. ...

• Downbylaw11
    16 Posts
    Fri, Dec 4 2009 5:57 PM
    yeah, multi accounting is also probably happening too. also, its not about getting master. I couldnt care less about that. but when you enter a tournament, with the hopes of maybe winning some prizes and what not, it sucks to think that there might be people out there with an unfair advantage when it comes to winning tournaments.
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Dec 4 2009 5:57 PM

Downbylaw11:
    so, now the only reasoning I can think of that someone could hit amazing shots is that they know exactly where to hit the ball to put it within 5 feet of the pin everytime, or that once you reach master, you are allowed to purchase clubs that literally negate fast greens and stop the ball dead where its landed.

This is exacly right on both points. Nivlac pointed that out earlier in this thread what playing the same courses over and over will do and you can buy clubs and balls that do just what you're seeing. You still have to execute.

YJ

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Fri, Dec 4 2009 10:22 PM

Downbylaw11, In no way would I ever say that someone sucked, and certainly didn't have the intention when I posted earlier. What I meant exactly is the 15 to 20 foot putts aren't that difficult to make with time spent on them. The only time someone has an unfair advantage in a round is the Dec. monthly with master clubs.

On the other, in time as you enjoy the game you will begin to make those putts yourself as you progress through the game very frequently and more often. Reason being you will begin to see how the ball reacts to certain situations. Also you will begin to eliminate the 20 foot putts anyway, as you will also understand how the wind and greens effect the ball. Your approach shots will begin to finish up much closer to the hole as you progress. I only campared our percentages as an example, my low on BPB from the blues is 59, which isn't anywhere near the top score that has been recorded. If we were to play a round the odds of you beating me would be very low because of the number of games I have versus the number of rounds you have played so far. Which really is irrelevant anyway as to who can beat who, none of us are making a living here, just having a good time and sharing laughs with one another.

I help anyone who asks, and have several old friends whom I have aided from hack to master. It's all about the enjoyment we have for the game. Is the game to easy, opinions vary here, but you have to consider they want you to stay and play here.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Dec 4 2009 11:46 PM
    When one is faced with the chore of intellengently being able to make sense out of a profit /loss statement, one thing is always clear. No matter how many times the numbers are fiddled with or how many times you re-do them, a bottom line must be addressed. Here, the bottom line is Tibbets. Everything else is just silly conversation.
RSS