Forums

Help › Forums

Putting on slow greens!

Fri, Feb 7 2020 1:05 AM (5 replies)
  • Th0maz700
    495 Posts
    Sat, Feb 1 2020 4:48 AM

Hi

Why do people say it is harder to put on fast greens? 

I do MANY mistakes on fast, very fast greens, while i do good on tournament. In tournament i hole around 95% of puts within 7f, on fast i maybe hole 70% on same distance....  

Just curious if i am the only one with this problem, i HATE slow greens because i can´t read them well.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Thu, Feb 6 2020 3:21 PM

It depends what you are used to.

The ball will take the break less on slow greens, in general, because you have to hit the ball harder (the ball moves faster) and the ball will be affected less by the break in that regard.

On tourney or champ greens the power needed to get the ball the same distance as on slow greens is less, so the ball is hit softer and it travels slower therefore it takes the curves of the break more. It's basically due to the inertia. 

Same idea when putting up or downhill.  Hitting uphill you hit harder and an uphill putt takes the break less, in general.

Understand there are other variables but this is the general idea. 

• MarchieB
    1,526 Posts
    Thu, Feb 6 2020 4:38 PM

Th0maz700, just out of curiosity because you mentioned doing well in Tournaments, as a Tour Master what do you consider a Fast Green speed?

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,524 Posts
    Thu, Feb 6 2020 4:47 PM

MarchieB:
    as a Tour Master what do you consider a Fast Green speed?

A very good question! LOL

• Th0maz700
    495 Posts
    Fri, Feb 7 2020 1:04 AM

MarchieB:

Th0maz700, just out of curiosity because you mentioned doing well in Tournaments, as a Tour Master what do you consider a Fast Green speed?

The reason i ask is i use the slower greens alot in my country club. I consider levet 11 and up fast greens. From tournament.  

Beside that, i did not write doing well in tournaments, i wrote doing well on tournament greens.

• Th0maz700
    495 Posts
    Fri, Feb 7 2020 1:05 AM

JFidanza:

It depends what you are used to.

The ball will take the break less on slow greens, in general, because you have to hit the ball harder (the ball moves faster) and the ball will be affected less by the break in that regard.

On tourney or champ greens the power needed to get the ball the same distance as on slow greens is less, so the ball is hit softer and it travels slower therefore it takes the curves of the break more. It's basically due to the inertia. 

Same idea when putting up or downhill.  Hitting uphill you hit harder and an uphill putt takes the break less, in general.

Understand there are other variables but this is the general idea. 

I guess i have to practice more (again) on slow green. I play on slow greens in my country club unfortunatly

RSS