Forums

Help › Forums

Poll: Which tees would you play from if you could choose?

Fri, Nov 20 2009 5:09 AM (51 replies)
  • jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Fri, Nov 13 2009 12:35 PM

dorkfeatures:
    But - hey Jeffdos924 - dont get off the fairways in any tier full stop!!  and into 40/50 well you've got no chance whatever tier you're playing in.

You're exactly correct there, Doug ... but that wasn't really my point. The OP was whether I thought that I would score better from Pro tees with Pro equipment. And I still say that I absolutely would.

Do I miss the fairway with my Rapture driver? Sure I do ... but WAY less often than I miss with the R9 Master. That in itself would but be at least a couple of strokes per game because my 2nd shot would would be from the fairway 95-96% of the time instead of the 85% or so that i am now. Distance-wise, my 2nd shots would be very close to the same from pro tees w/ the Rapture as they are from the blue tees with the big driver.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Nov 13 2009 5:02 PM

The most revealing aspect of all the conversation here, after separating the buckwheat from the BS, is this: there are far less Pros that should be Masters, than the enormous number of Masters that should still be Pros. It is a simple fact of life. Reality.

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Fri, Nov 13 2009 8:08 PM

Hi,

Agreed !!

Its all a matter of whether you can play to your ranking or not.  I could play KI till the cows come home, and get to master tomorrow, however thats not what this is about. I like to think I can play to my ranking whatever course I play, although obviously is a lot more difficult on BPB.

Apologies for drifting off topic !!

Cheers Doug

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Sat, Nov 14 2009 12:59 PM

This is not directed to any one post.

There are probably a few players, in the Master tier, that wish they were back in the Pro's.  But I suspect, in most cases, most are glad they moved up.  And regardless of how they achieved this, I don't see how this hurts anyone and why these players are often criticized instead of being congratulated.  And since Master players can no longer play in the Pro tier, Pro players should be grateful these guys have moved up and are not winning credits away from them anymore. 

All of us know that if we don't strive to be better, we'll never be competitive.  And we all know that if we stay around long enough, we will be able to beat players that are new or don't put in as much stick time as we do.  But that does not get us to the next level.   

The real potential for this abuse is Sandbagging.  It is easy to remain in a tier by intentionally posting bogus high scores, hence, playing against players that are not as good.  A fine ethical line that usually only you know you crossed.             

Joey   

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Nov 14 2009 2:55 PM

Well Mr. Ola, i believe most of your guesses and things you suspect, although offered kindly, are far fetched. I refer you to your own wall blog entitled "Key to where you belong". It may be the best thing you have written, but my partiality to it may be clouded because it describes with accuracy how I play and what I believe. Your statement above "And regardless of how they achieved this" is completely contrary to your own wall blog. So which is it?

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Sun, Nov 15 2009 2:14 AM

I have read your posts SP, and we could not agree more.  Playing your best and posting all scores is the best way to play in the tier where you belong, and to enjoy this game for a long long time.

In my post, I was attempting to point out that there are many kinds of players "And regardless of how they achieved this" that play in the Master tier.  And now that we are here, we really don't have much choice in the matter.  Yes, some got there legitimately while others moved up artificially hence shooting themselves foot.  The ones the got there artificially, besides superficial bragging rights, are certainly no threat to our Big Guns and no longer clutter up the Pro ranks.

Joey              

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Sun, Nov 15 2009 7:42 AM

SweetiePie:

The most revealing aspect of all the conversation here, after separating the buckwheat from the BS, is this: there are far less Pros that should be Masters, than the enormous number of Masters that should still be Pros. It is a simple fact of life. Reality.

And that affects anyone or the integrity of the game how?

Those "Masters that should still be Pros" will never win or come close to winning any tournaments.   Hell, they probably won't even place well enough to win any credits.

Whereas the opposite does affect the integrity of the game (Pros that should be Masters) and defeats the entire purpose of the tiered system.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Nov 15 2009 9:20 AM

marioh:

And that affects anyone or the integrity of the game how?

The effects are numorous. One is the production of affect, or false pretense. Some of the other effects include the creation of multiple accounts to escape the misery caused by premature induction into a tier level because of, what seems to be, a natural, yet tragic lure most newer players gobble up, so as to rapidly and falsely produce an absurdly deflated score average. We also see from time to time the once highly enthusiastic players suddenly disappear, because fun has disappeared. As for integrity, all integrity vanishes when mixed with anything false. Post all scores and the integrity of the game, and the player, are safe and secure and nature will be allowed to take it's course. 

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Sun, Nov 15 2009 10:22 AM

This is all off topic.

Please start a new thread, or better yet dig up one of the old ones.

This thread was started to ask 'masters' their opinion if they would shoot better from the pro tees with pro equipment.

• Rightin
    1,248 Posts
    Mon, Nov 16 2009 10:59 PM

I'd have to say in reply as a master, That I'd rather be playing the white tee's with pro equipment. I feel the equipment with the slower swing speeds should also be offered in the master tier.  Yes I feel that I would score better playing white tee with Pro equipment.         Just the same,,if you gave me a Master driver with a slower swing speed I wouldn't even consider the thought, and blue tees would be just fine.   Sandbagging! Hate It,,,,  Find yourself some friends and stick with them,,,, The sandbaggers don't worry me,,, I've turned many of them away, we do get to chose who we play with,,for the most part anyway.         If you play in Master tier tourneys the problem is void.         One thing I have come across is, to many people have more than one account with WGT,,, It's set up by e-mail address,,,,,  So in saying that, there are many people playing as a Pro, who are actually Masters,  THAT IS A PROBLEM!!!!!    These players are actually competing in Pro tier events.     Sad but true!    I'll stay a Master, I enjoy competing at that level,, with other Masters and friends who are on there way to the master ranks from other tiers.      Thank you, I enjoyed your post.  WE DO NEED TO SPEAK WHAT WE FEEL AND BE HEARD.

RSS