Forums

Help › Forums

Poll: Which tees would you play from if you could choose?

Fri, Nov 20 2009 5:09 AM (51 replies)
  • BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Wed, Nov 11 2009 9:14 PM

Guess I'm a bit of an anomaly too.

Having been both a pro and a master, my scores were about the same once I got use to the master clubs... but then match play came along and faster greens...hence the ranked rounds I've been playing has gone way down...and those few scores I have posted pushed my average up about 4 spots.

Sandbaggers...don't know any and I haven't played with any...sorry.

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Wed, Nov 11 2009 10:30 PM

Ok .... maybe i can help ... or not . Gitthe has asked three questions ...

#1 : Would you score lower from the blue tees with Master equipment or the white tees with Pro equipment ?  From my 4 week experience as a Master now i would say that where my skill level is now until i (hopefully) improve, i would definitely score lower from the whites as i've probably dropped a shot or two in average scoring per nine since moving to the master tees with the exception of the last back nine weekly at kiawah when i matched my personal best 28 from the master tees ... so i think the answer has to do both with equipment AND skill level ... for example i've found the master wedges to be vastly superior in stopping ability than anything available to pros but the meter speed is another block faster making them slightly harder to hit ...  

#2 : Who has the advantage? That would depend on the individual skill levels of the players involved i think ... when i was a pro i could routinely outshoot some masters on my friends list when we played multiplayer rounds ... but if i had to shoot against someone like gitthe, tibbets, nivlac or the like from the pro tees with pro equipment they would probably beat me anyway because their skill level is much better than mine as it currently stands ... on the other had if i were shooting against pros right now from the pro tees with the same equipment i would think that my skill level would give me a slight advantage ...

Which leads to the third question of sandbagging ...

If the sandbagger's skill level is such that they are able to shoot master level scores consistently from the pro tees then yes i think they definitely have an advantage ...

• molideha
    213 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2009 3:47 AM

sure, given the exact same bag, excepting for a master driver from the master tees, and a pro driver from the pro tees, some of you/us "could" shoot the same score in a match where we played ourselves.

but the question is "advantage"...all things being equal...where your argument falls short is in DEVIATION...if WGT gives me equal deviation, on each shot, for example a 1º deviation, then the master's 3i will routinely be 3-4' outside of the pro's 4i or 5i...this is where the cumulative advantage from the pro tees adds up over 18 holes.

just because you know how to play a shot 10-15 yards further back, doesn't mean the ball will always go where you intended...all things being equal, being closer is always an advantage.

gl

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2009 5:55 AM

Let's see some Masters were never Pros using Pro equipment.  Some Masters do not use Master's equipment.  Some Pros responded to a Master only question...I think I'm the only one qualified to answer his original questioned...LOL..

I'm kidding of course but I may very well be right.

• oppy
    286 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2009 6:39 PM

how could someone never have been a pro?

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2009 8:21 PM

There used to be only 2 tiers in this game: Amateurs and Hacks. The best Amateurs got upgraded directly to the Master tier when two additional tiers, Pro & Master, were added (was that in April or March this year?).

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2009 9:45 PM

Faterson:

There used to be only 2 tiers in this game: Amateurs and Hacks. The best Amateurs got upgraded directly to the Master tier when two additional tiers, Pro & Master, were added (was that in April or March this year?).

Late May of this year ... i was advanced from hack to amatuer briefly and then placed in the newly created pro class .... they went from 2 to 3 tiers i think for a very short period and then created the master tier ... i'll have to look again at the May Amatuer Tier Open leaderboard to be sure about that but i don't recall seeing any "big" names in that competition ... i think the lower score avg. amatuers were briefly in pro class until the creation of the master tier ... maybe someone can correct me on this ...

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2009 10:46 PM

Hi Gitthe,

For starters I am a Pro Tier player - am trying to make Masters but not quite - yet. Its a lot harder now to get into the Master tier. Probably have to be around 64 / 65 to qualify, previously much easier.

I have played against a number of Master tier players now, recently in the Ryder Cup where I actually qualified from the Pro tier, the only "Pro Tier" player to do so, and actually won one match :-)  What does that tell us though? The Pro tier players were just not in the ball park.

On almost every hole bar one or two at BPB, the Masters were bombing their drives way way past mine off the tee. They were setting up for their second shots in much better positions than I was. OK - I havent got the top of the range clubs, however in my opinion most good master tier players, will beat most good Pro tier players every time.

So, Master V Pro -  - Master every time. They are going to have to play well mind you, but then thats why they are good master tier players because they can play that well.

But - hey Jeffdos924 - dont get off the fairways in any tier full stop!!  and into 40/50 well you've got no chance whatever tier you're playing in.

Just my 2 bobs worth.

Cheers 

Doug

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Fri, Nov 13 2009 10:35 AM

dorkfeatures:

I havent got the top of the range clubs, however in my opinion most good master tier players, will beat most good Pro tier players every time.

So, Master V Pro -  - Master every time. They are going to have to play well mind you, but then thats why they are good master tier players because they can play that well.

I feel the same way, though I won't say every time, but the majority of the times.

The match play points (specifically the breakdown of win loss records by tier) is a great new tool in the hunt to expose sandbaggers.

Any Pro tier player (or Hack/Amateur) that can beat Master tier players at a 3 to 1 (or higher) ratio is indeed a Master tier player sandbagging to stay in the Pro tier (unless the vast majority of those match play wins came against a weak Master tier player).

• TarheelsRule
    5,462 Posts
    Fri, Nov 13 2009 11:05 AM

I would score better from the pro tees since putting is my weakness.

RSS