Forums

Help › Forums

Poll: Which tees would you play from if you could choose?

Fri, Nov 20 2009 5:09 AM (51 replies)
  • gitthe
    66 Posts
    Wed, Nov 11 2009 7:43 AM

Masters need only reply.  Would you score lower from the blue tees with Masters equipment or the white tees with equipment available to Pros? 

In other words, who has the advantage?  A "Master" skilled player playing with Masters equipment playing from the blues or a "Master" skilled player playing with Pro equipment from the whites?

I ask because apparently WGT is okay with players sandbagging to remain in lower tiers.  What do you think?

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Wed, Nov 11 2009 7:58 AM

Good question.

I've never been a Pro tier player, so I have no clue.  

But I did play in the WGA first round from the medium tees, and wow, what a difference.   Being able to make the 2nd fairway on 2nd hole par 5, able to drive the green from the tee on 3, both par 3's were vastly easier (I play tour starter irons).    I did play that round with the Master tier driver, but I found the entire round much more enjoyable.

• lilrob88
    870 Posts
    Wed, Nov 11 2009 8:18 AM

Well,

without a shadow of a doubt playing from any foward tee is much easier than playing from the blue tee.

Each tee is enjoyable and has its shares of excitment.

I dont understand why it is believed that master players have more benefits than pro players. Its quite obvoius that the tee box location makes it a bit unlevel.

Takes this situation for example. If I play a matchplay round against a pro who has a solid avg and plays well I have to be on top of my game to win. Im the one who is at a disadvantage here. Especially on par3's, so with that said if i could choose a tee to play from it would have to be any foward tee.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Nov 11 2009 8:30 AM

What's the point? Sandbagging? 

YJ

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Wed, Nov 11 2009 8:56 AM

With the difference in equipment, I would have to say blue tees. The driver only is 20 yards isn't it?

With regard to sandbagging, it's an issue of competition from fellow players , not  course condition right? I suppose most pro players that are suspected sandbaggers stay there because they feel like their game isn't good enough for the top master players.

Solution to that is dramatically take prizes down. While they have done that a little, it could still be brought down plenty more. Honestly they are wasting credits and/or prizes on sandbaggers, doesn't make too much sense to me.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Nov 11 2009 9:22 AM

That's an interesting thought,ncviz. Take it a step further and make the master tier the only place you could win credits. Change the payout so a tie for 50th place would be better than $.02 to appease those that endeavor to make enough to buy something. Boost the earnings gift for making it to master, enough so that a smaller investment would club you up right. 

Thinking along these lines would do away with the sandbagging complaint while still allowing competitive interaction between the tiers. Sandbaggers could then sandbag it for bragging rights and maybe one of those lame picture trophies.

YJ

p.s., I'm sorry if I sidetracked your thread, git-it looked like this is where you were going.

• brandi35
    295 Posts
    Wed, Nov 11 2009 9:26 AM

White tee's are by far easier!!!!  I have been playing in several community ran tourneys where we are playing from the easier tees, and I am firing -4 and -5 on Bethpage, when in reality from the master tee's I am hoping I make even par.

The sandbagging is out of control.....I know a few out there that should be masters firing off 30, 30, 30, then ooops almost master better get that 37 or 39 in there.

Just my 2 cents worth :)

B

• Spacklero
    386 Posts
    Wed, Nov 11 2009 10:05 AM

I found the pro tier and tees just way more playable. Since tiering up to master I have found that you have to be ultra precise with every shot. As was said above a solid pro can bother most masters and it seems play around more whilst doing it.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Nov 11 2009 10:17 AM

I was never a pro either, but I think with Rapture clubs and high spin balls I could all but destroy the white tees on either course.

Back in the day when there was only 2 tiers (Hack & Amateur) all Amateurs played from the white tees on Kiawah.  Even then 59's were shot with Tour Starter clubs and drivers that only went 235 yards on average.

Now I have an option for better balls and longer clubs than I had back in the day and you're still gonna let me play from the same old white tees?  Sign me up. =D

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Wed, Nov 11 2009 10:23 AM

YankeeJim .... EXCELLENT IDEA !!!!!

And to respond to Gitthe's poll .... thats a no- brainer.  Give me my Raptures from the white tees.

I was never  in the Pro tier ... when WGT went from 2 tiers to 4, I was bumped straight to Master ...  but, back then, amatuers played from the white tees ( today's Pro tees).  All I ever used back then were tha basic starters ... all there was TO use.  Upgraded ( 5 yrds/club) to the Tour Starters when they were released as a full set. Those took me through  the US Open at Bethpage from the  waaaayyy back tees. Bought the Raptures a few weeks before the Ryder Cup matches started ( qualified with the Tour starters) and the R9 Master about a week b4 the RC.

I can tell you this, though ... I shot MUCH more consistently from the white ( Pro) tees with the Tour Starters than  I do now from the blue tees with the big driver.

The gist of the OP was whether pro clubs from the pro tees have an advantage over master clubs from master tees ... short answer is absolutely yes.  The 20-30 extra yards with a master drive barely equals out the difference in tee boxes, whether they be pro, amateur, or hack.  And, with the lack of forgiveness,  many times they won't even do that well. Those extra yards are lost if you're playing your next shot from 40-50 rough.

RSS