Forums

Help › Forums

Poll: Which tees would you play from if you could choose?

Fri, Nov 20 2009 5:09 AM (51 replies)
  • nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Nov 11 2009 10:26 AM

gitthe:
    In other words, who has the advantage?  A "Master" skilled player playing with Masters equipment playing from the blues or a "Master" skilled player playing with Pro equipment from the whites?

Oops, forgot to answer the million dollar question. =)

If we consider the skill-sets to be exactly the same, I'd have to give the advantage to the Master player on the Pro tees with Pro equipment.  The driving lanes are wider, the fairways are easier to hit, the approach shots are shorter and now I've got a super slow meter to make sure I never miss the mark (which I do quite a bit with my master equipment).

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

• molideha
    213 Posts
    Wed, Nov 11 2009 11:22 AM

i agree with nivlac...no brainer;

the only "master level" club i play is my R9 master...then its raptures, a tour 54w, and a starter LW...i've played many pro players playing a very similar bag...G10 pro driver, raptures and a few wedges.

in the above scenario, as the master versus a pro with a similar bag, i'm at a clear disadvantage in these matches....stated another way, if i could play myself...and i have 2 bags (master bag, pro bag as described above) molideha_pro would beat molideha_master every time.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Wed, Nov 11 2009 3:10 PM

Honestly, I score the same from the Blue tees with Master-level equipment as I did from the white tees with lesser equipment.  I know I am probably a big anomaly in that regard however.  Nevertheless, if we are to look at the comparisons, I've never seen a Pro hit the green in 2 on par 5's with any regularity.  That is something I do often now on both courses from the Blue tees with Master-level equipment. That's a potential 2-4 stroke swing right there.

Case in point:  The last International tournament was at Bethpage from the White tees.  I shot a 53.  My best score with the same equipment from the Blue tees is 56.  Take away the Master-level equipment while playing the White tees and it seems to me it's right back to even again.

Someone was saying something about par 3's being easier from the Pro tees:  I personally don't agree with that.  Once you get your yardages down for each hole, adjusting for wind, it's really just about hitting that little white line in the middle and then draining the putt.   White tees don't help with that :)

Anyway, from what I see from even the most obvious sandbaggers in the Pro division, they still aren't shooting as well from the Whites on their best days as I am from the Blues, so to me it's better to be where I am. 

Heck, I'm ready for the next tee box back :)

• lilrob88
    870 Posts
    Wed, Nov 11 2009 5:27 PM

Guess ill defend my statement :)

I find par 3's much easier from foward tees only due to one reason. Club selection. Lesser clubs is needed, therefore making it much easier to stick it close.

Lets take #3 on Bethpage for example. From the blue tee depending on wind in most cases you're either gonna need a 3 or 4 iron. Not the most difficult shot in the world, but this particular hole is made much easier when playing from any foward tee.

That same hole from the pro tees. A 7 iron is generally the club there. A 7 iron will hold 10x better than a 4 iron. The only real way to hit it close from the blue is with the Tour S ball, or the old fashion way; land your tee shot just on front of the green and play the release.

Its really hard not to argue that any foward tee isnt easier to play from. Me and a few friends on here played the back 9 on Bethpage from the white tee with the default starter clubs. Surprisingly low scores. A couple under for myself and a few others. That was with the starter clubs. Using upgraded pro clubs there would also make it much easier.

Now im no expert at this game, so of course a easier tee box is going to allow me to shoot lower scores. For the more elite players im sure that it doesnt matter what tee box you play from you're still going to play well. Now considering the ratio of novice players on this game to the better players the ratio is pretty off balance. Not all can say i shoot the same score from every tee box :)

• vabighack
    463 Posts
    Wed, Nov 11 2009 6:09 PM

I was with rob and 2 others  when we used to starter clubs..I was amazed at the scores...so yes, put me on the white tees anytime...

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Nov 11 2009 6:10 PM

In this case I don't believe I shall allow Mr. Gitthe to muzzle me or restrict my freedom of speech. Mr. Tibbets is the only speaker here who is correct. I't isn't the tees, or the clubs, or the special balls, or the backspin rating of this club, or the other. It is, you. You can play or you can't.

• brandi35
    295 Posts
    Wed, Nov 11 2009 6:34 PM

-

• gitthe
    66 Posts
    Wed, Nov 11 2009 6:46 PM

SweetiePie, our only interaction thus far has been friendly playing in the NAC tourney together and you writing a very nice comment on my wall regarding our team's performance.  I'm sorry if you feel muzzled.  I in no way meant to restrict Pros freedom of speech.  It's just that Pros have never played from the Blue tees is all.

• lilrob88
    870 Posts
    Wed, Nov 11 2009 6:50 PM

We're all friends here. only opinions. No right or wrong answer. Lets get along guys.

• brandi35
    295 Posts
    Wed, Nov 11 2009 7:03 PM

-

RSS