Forums

Help › Forums

Fast Greens and Slow Greens

Mon, Jan 31 2011 11:20 AM (7 replies)
  • GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 4:33 AM

I was doing alright on the slow greens and don't really like the fast greens,not yet anyway.Everytime I get comfortable around here, something changes.Thats good because it keeps me on my toes.I just want to go out and shoot par or better using the skills that I have aquried so far.It's difficult to post a good score in this ever changing environment.

My question is this...Can I switch between the fast and slow greens somehow before I start a ranked round .I don't mind all the work it takes to progress through the game but I like to take it easy every now and then and record a good score just to boost the confidence level.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 4:42 AM

For now, you can't choose green speed even for practice rounds, and certainly not for ranked rounds. I hope WGT will one day let us choose any green speed for our practice rounds, just as we're allowed to choose any wind speed and any tee. Also, they might make green speed vary for our ranked rounds, so that it becomes unpredictable. One day fast, another day slow – that would be it!

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 5:18 AM

Faterson:
    unpredictable.
    Faterson:
    that would be it!

Thanks Faterson,You got alot of knowledge about this game so if it's alright  with you I might as well just ask you these silly questions directly  instead of posting a question for the world to see..It could get embarassing over time.You haven't told me anything wrong so far .Just asking?

Thanks,Larry

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 6:02 AM

There's nothing wrong with posting a question to the forum (that's what a forum is for), if the question hasn't been handled yet (which one might check via the Search box). The FAQ section on green speeds isn't explicit about replying to your question. In fact, it mentions 7 (!) possible green speeds, although I've only encountered 2 of them so far (standard & fast). It would be great if WGT let us choose any of the 7 green speeds for our practice rounds and, optionally, enabled for us to get "surprised" by any of the 7 green speeds (activated randomly) during our multi-player ranked rounds.   It's just too monotonous to have to play always on the fast greens just because your rank is Pro.

I've just checked out the newest Tiger Woods Online Beta, and although the game is still unplayable for me (this time it's the shot meter freezing totally, so that I'm unable to make a single shot; and I happen to be on a different computer now), I've noticed that one of the things TWO have changed compared to the previous Beta is that you can now, when launching a round, select any tee, green speed, wind speed, etc. etc. etc. (These features were locked for beginning players in the previous Beta cycle.) You can even select the speed of fairways, or the hardness of greens, in addition to green speeds... There are at least 4 options to choose from for any of these characteristics.

It would be nice if WGT gave us similar options as well – at the very least for our practice rounds.

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 7:00 AM

Faterson:

It would be nice if WGT gave us similar options as well  – at the very least for our practice rounds.

It would be nice to get all those options.But where would the challenge be? I have recieved the email from TWO but really don't see the need in visiting there site.Sure I could go over there and Fix everything up so I won't miss a putt or a green or a drive,bla,bla,bla..But it would take away from the time that I spend on the WGT..Why bother ?.This game(wgt) I find will not run out of interest for me,not anytime soon anyway.When I see those low,low scores posted around this site it is nice to know that they where subject to the same(if not worse) conditions that I have to play in.They say that the WGT is trying to create a more realistic feel for the on-line experince(and they have) of a real life golf experince.I have never been anywhere that I'm allowed to tell the greens keeper how fast or slow or soft or hard I want the greens that day.I would probably have to fight the ones I know personally.It would be nice to see people support a site because they like the site not just because a certain site has a celebrities name beside it.I don't think I need to be told which site to play by corporate BILLIONAIRES as they use Tiger to convince people that their site is the best because he put his name on it for who knows how many millions of dollars.They will all be well compensated over at that other site but there is no compensation for the lack of skill that is needed to post a good score like it takes around here.I do apollogize to anyone who is offened by this but that is your problem.I will stand up for what I like  and I don't follow the crowd just to fit in.I never have like crowds as I am clostraphobic.But I do like the WGT and that is all.

Long winded,

Larry

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 7:54 AM

GITrDONE:
    But where would the challenge be?

It's not primarily about challenge for me... It's about variety. I play Ladder matches, so if WGT allowed us to customize the settings for any multi-player game, this would create exciting new opportunities. The same match between the same 2 players may require a totally different strategy if there is strong wind and the greens are very fast, and if there is no wind and greens are slow. Just like in real life, depending on weather.

Because the weather in WGT's HD photographs is always heavenly, and there is never any rain, WGT might at least let us customize those in-game settings so that they can be different for every match. (That also includes wind intensity, not only wind direction.) Or, let the server vary those settings randomly for us whenever a multi-player game is launched. I just dislike the idea that, as a Pro-tier player, I'll now only be playing on fast greens forever. It's boring and it doesn't make sense to limit us to only 1 green speed, when (according to FAQ) there are 7 various green speeds available.

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 8:13 AM

I totally agree about being stuck with the one green speed.That I don't understand at all.I just played around with all WGTstarter eqp. and the greens were standard.I guess I am not totally stuck with fast greens but there again you are right Mr. Faterson ,my choices are limited.

• golferfrank63
    187 Posts
    Mon, Jan 31 2011 11:20 AM

agree  green should equal to all

RSS