Forums

Help › Forums

Being moderated-my take.

Mon, Mar 21 2022 8:27 AM (137 replies)
  • pmm711
    5,516 Posts
    Sun, Oct 7 2018 11:41 AM
    I guess Craig will be assumed guilty if some kid sees that video, hits a poor shot, and jumps into a pond and drowns...even if he does so 36 years from now. 😂
  • craigswan
    30,985 Posts
    Sun, Oct 7 2018 1:35 PM

The statement that a few of you have made about us all being adults is not correct. Children as young as 13 can join WGT. And there may be even younger children reading these with their parents.

With teens being able to access the forums we all need to be a little more thoughtful about what and how we post. 

Also there are adults that act so childish that they need to be treated as children..

Good point . Well made . I stand corrected .

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sun, Oct 7 2018 5:05 PM

overtheedge:
    I have been on mod for over a year.

LOL been there too Jeff, and at times it was frustrating if I wanted to reply to a post, but it also just pushed me away from reading the forums, and I only look occasionally now.

I agree, the time should fit the crime, and too often players are moderated without being told what the crime was. For me, this lack of transparency is poor, but pretty much the norm for WGT.

Yes, at times there are personal attacks, and clear breaking of the "posting guidelines" (guidelines are simply 50 shades thereof lol) and some sort of moderation is required....but as the site is mostly young adults or adults, where a robust conversation should and can take place: only then can people make their own choices based on those arguments and points of view.

Personally, I would be happy to talk about any subject, with anyone....and not be offended if they had opposing views, and I might even see something with a fresh set of eyes!

In terms of the OP - we have had some fizzing arguments in the past lol - even had donkeys posted on my wall lmao......but at least I respected him for his honesty, passion and expressing his view. Not once was I offended.

The world in general has become to politically correct, and this pc brigade ran into towns all across the world, to the point so many people are worried of the ramifications of speaking how they feel, as they may upset someone, somewhere. Sooner or later that just implodes and creates other problems.

Whilst there must always be boundaries in any sphere, common sense is the best solution for posters and moderators - if there is a problem, the moderator should discuss the issue with the OP, and advise steps to correct......or into/back in the naughty corner - and with defined time frames!

borntobesting:
    With teens being able to access the forums we all need to be a little more thoughtful about what and how we post. 

I agree, but 99% of teens have seen a lot these days at that age, than I had seen till I was 30! Some banter on here is child's play in comparison. Again, I do not like personal attacks, but being witty or sarcastic is ok in my book. Again, one of those 50 shades of grey.....

I was told in a game last night....FU.

Why would I like to follow up after they hit a bad shot? Words (even abbreviations or acronyms) on paper and on screen can be misconstrued....different takes and perspectives.....that is part and parcel of the rich fabric of life.

• SlicedPepper
    796 Posts
    Sun, Oct 7 2018 7:31 PM

Being located in San Fransico, WGT might think about hiring their own ' Poop Patrol ' to steam clean some of the crap I've read in the forums from time to time.

It seems that some threads are left up until someone with a different view point posts their opposing thoughts then the thread magically disappears.

They know what I mean.

Are the ones who started those insulting threads put on moderation?

Highly unlikely as I've seen those same people start other threads of the same bent.

So it begs the question. Are the posting guidelines meant for all, or just those whose posts the Moderators at WGT find personally annoying?

SP

• drmoose
    3,532 Posts
    Sun, Oct 7 2018 8:11 PM

Free reign ( within the guidelines ) nuthin' wrong with that. Flirt with 'em my brothers an' sisters. Tiptoe around, make your point, use your head.

Speak your mind, say what has to be said in a proper manner, an' it's all good. Dayum, these forums used to be so much fun. Let's try to bring some of that back. I need another drink. Go find Yancy.

Doc :)

• overtheedge
    5,878 Posts
    Mon, Oct 8 2018 2:20 PM

borntobesting:
    Also there are adults that act so childish that they need to be treated as children.

Couldn't agree more but AGAIN, to be on a moderation list for OVER A YEAR! Come on.

I would agree to a YEAR of mod if the person writing a post is "physically threatening, actually stalking a players every post, using disgusting foul language and or remarks, etc, etc., but to post an emoji on someone's WALL does not warrant a year of moderation. It is absolutely ridiculous. 

I also agree with SP. I know there are players who get away with vulgar, aggressive, offensive, etc,etc post and NEVER get moderated. Champion or WHOEVER just want to hold on to this "control thing".

This said, at the very least do your  job. If you are moderating someone, then moderate the post in a reasonable time frame. Sometimes it take a FULL 24 hours before the post is posted. A working day is 8 hours.Within the 8 hours of a post the post should be moderated and posted. Again, a control issue. 

student smiley

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Mon, Oct 8 2018 3:15 PM

"Are the ones who started those insulting threads put on moderation?"

I also found this to be unfair...I was getting attacked by a couple of trolls and defending myself was what got me placed on moderation. The people doing the attacking were left alone, or at least had a much shorter penalty than the 14 months I received.

Icon did warn me to ignore the attacks, but much easier said than done at that time. 

ct

ps: I have learned from this and refuse to be flame baited in the future. 

• Duckster789
    534 Posts
    Mon, Oct 8 2018 9:06 PM

ct690911:

"Are the ones who started those insulting threads put on moderation?"

I also found this to be unfair...I was getting attacked by a couple of trolls and defending myself was what got me placed on moderation. The people doing the attacking were left alone, or at least had a much shorter penalty than the 14 months I received.

Icon did warn me to ignore the attacks, but much easier said than done at that time. 

ct

ps: I have learned from this and refuse to be flame baited in the future. 

You are delusional ct. It's true that you rarely started the flame, but you were always adding fuel to the fire.

… and then you would blast everyones walls with irate posts until WGT had to shut you off!

• SidersBest
    873 Posts
    Tue, Oct 9 2018 6:08 AM

People

Let's not forget that there are many others who are moderated simply because they don't know to ask to have their moderation removed.

I was on moderation for 2 years because I didn't know, however I do believe that their should be a unified punishment system used by the Moderators.

1st offence - warning

2nd offence - 1 week

3rd offence - 1 month

4th offence - at the discression of the Moderator, but the individual should be informed of time lenght (and the individual must request to have moderation lifted and not cry about foul- it's been too long and it not fair)

This maybe already in place, I don't know, but I do know that when I had my privledges removed and was unable to play I asked for the reason and was given an explanation,and after affirming that I wouldn't make that mistake again, my privledges were restored.

This is a family game, it's free, let's all agree to disagree, but respest others rights to have a word friendly atmosphere

Siders Best 

• craigswan
    30,985 Posts
    Tue, Oct 9 2018 8:19 AM

I got back after 5 days . Posted a couple of risqué pics . Apparently they had sent me an e-mail before warning me but to avoid getting 20 e-mails a day about this, that and the other I changed my e-mail to an old one I never use .

Customer services showed me the pics they didn't like and why and let me back on again .

RSS