Pittsburgh Pirates atop MLB NL Central!

Sat, Oct 1 2011 9:52 AM (100 replies)
  • Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Sat, Sep 3 2011 9:15 PM

YankeeJim:

PugsAce:
    It was fun while it lasted... maybe next year...  :/

How many Giant fans are saying this right about now?    Salamii?   MBaggese?

:-D

:) LOL :)

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sat, Sep 3 2011 10:01 PM

YankeeJim:

PugsAce:

That's just bad form....

;)

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sat, Sep 3 2011 10:03 PM

Yoda79:

YankeeJim:

PugsAce:

:) LOL :)

Cmon Yoda, you shouldn't laugh at that...after all, you got to carry the SF logo for a month;)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Sep 3 2011 10:55 PM

Guess the beard belongs to Santa Claus now.  LOL

(more bad form on the way to the playoffs.)

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sun, Sep 4 2011 10:05 AM

LOL...I removed all orange a week and a half ago, been wearing just black ever since...

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Fri, Sep 16 2011 2:25 PM

Clinch playoff berth = check (September 15th)

Clinch division = check (September 17th)

Clinch home field advantage  = check (September 19th)

Clinch best record in Majors (for good measure) = check (September 26th)

Does all that equal another parade in Philadelphia this year? Time will tell. Go Phillies!!

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sat, Sep 17 2011 6:21 AM

19 yrs.

nineteen years.

NINE... TEEN YEARS!                    :/

After nearly two decades with a losing record (a record in and of itself), it's not hard to understand why some around here have simply thrown up their hands.

Good Luck to the rest o'yunz..

"Get'em Next Year", Bucco's...

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Sep 17 2011 6:30 AM

Is nice to be a Yankee fan.   ;-)

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Sat, Sep 17 2011 12:07 PM

YJ,

I'm an older guy... I remember the 80s (and mid-60s to mid-70s).  Hasn't always been nice to be a Yankee fan (nor would it be so nice now if baseball had the sense that all the rest of the major pro leagues have and instituted a salary cap)..

I grew up an Orioles fan, living in MD between Baltimore and DC so I'm kinda the old-time opposite of a Yankee fan.  What a Red Sox fan is today.   Unfortunately, the Angelos carcinoma rendered me incapable of rooting for the Orioles any longer once Cal retired.  So, I switched allegiances to the Nats some years back.  Looks like that might end up paying dividends now.

Strange thing being an aging fan from the DC metro area.  I am now a Nats fan, who haven't been good ever, and before that I was an Os' fan, and they haven't been good in ages.  BUT, I have seen my favorite baseball team win a couple of World Series.  I am and will always be a Redskins fan, and they have been horrid for the last decade.  BUT, I have seen my team go to 5 Super Bowls and win three of them.  Wizards...?  Pathetic.  BUT, I saw my Bullets go to consecutive NBA Finals and win one of them.

I live in the NE area now, and have to listen to them go on about the Pats/Celtics/Red Sox/Bruins.  And they are doing great now.  I'm just lucky enough that I remember, say... 1978-1983, when the DC area had two NBA finals, 2 World Series, 2 Super Bowls, and had a World Champion in each.

The funniest thing...? I reserve my most heated fanaticism for hockey, the NHL.  I am a huge Washington Capitals' fan.  Out of all the DC area teams (including the Orioles but excluding the Nats due to small sample size), the Capitals are the only one that has never hit an abyss.  They were pretty bad in the early 90s for a bit, but due to some wise management decisions (dump the high priced over achievers and rebuild) and fortuitous drafts (Ovechkin), they have bounced back and now are the favorites to win the Cup this year by many respectable publications.  But on the whole, after a putrid first 5 years, the Caps have been competitive ever since.  Yet they are the only of my favorites to have never won a title, having only appeared in one Stanley Cup final series ('98) in their nearly 40 year history (swept by the Red Wings).

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Sep 17 2011 12:41 PM

Heh-Talk about a role reversal. I grew up a die hard Yankee hater. Will never forget what they did to my beloved SF Giants in 1964. 12 year old kids lived and died by the game then and having grown up in the midst of LA Dodger town, (hating them worse than the Yankees) you could have filmed The Sandlot in my back yard and I would be the fat catcher, no red hair though. LOL

Fast forward to the relocation to NY in 1979 and try to follow a west coast team. LOL-the Giants faded away for me along about the time the Yankees became a common team. Given their exposure here on a daily basis, it was fun for a while watching them languish with the commoners. Then they became an interest as the oldies were replaced by my generation. Names became relevant to me. I graduated HS with the guy that played right field for the (now hated) Red Sox for 19 years! Fandom was back for me and I've grown my passion for the Yankees from ashes. You can have their history, I wasn't part of it.

Today, though, is a different story. I've probably seen or heard about 2900 of Jeter's hits through tv and radio. I watched Torre bring him up after the AAA season ended just to sit on the bench during the playoffs. He wanted him to see what it tasted like.  I've seen 3 perfect games, 5 World Series, countless dramatic moments and now it's an expectation. I am not crushed when they lose because they will be back at it next year. What baseball does for excitement is always changing. Every year it's somebody new. The Giants last year were the story and a great one too. This year Philly looks like it's their turn. Who knows? As a Yankee fan I know they'll have a hand in it, in some way.

The Yankees are a class organization. They do it right and enjoy the spoils. I point to them as examples to kids I coach. They act right, they dress right and they carry themselves like champions.

That is why it's nice to be a Yankee fan.  ;-)

RSS