Help › Forums

trying to figure out how much wind moves the ball

rated by 0 users
Thu, Aug 8 2013 2:58 PM (35 replies)
  • Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 9:53 AM

Randellpoet1:
    I did not take notice that the last game of this member was so long ago, however, there still is a profile page for them so it does not seem like they have a closed account.
    Yes, there is a profile page, if you click through the name here on the forums.  But, if you would please notice my response, I said:
    Snaike:
    (You can check to see if an account has been deleted by searching for the name on the WGT Players page.)
    From the WGT Players page, a search for this user comes back blank.

I hope this helps you in the future.

As per the topic, all of the OPs 3+page mathmatical rants are suspect to say the least.  It's not very scientific to take one example and call it fact.  Most of his threads were just ingored with a slight smile.

Peace.

• denof
    1 Posts
    Mon, Mar 29 2010 2:19 PM

I don't think the wind direction is very realistic here. The same shots 4 different times and 4 total different results. Plus the fescue isn't realistic , I know I used to play in Scotland 2 months out the the year for 6 years.

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Thu, Jan 20 2011 12:48 AM

denof:

I don't think the wind direction is very realistic here

I say the wind on here's a f*cking joke and cannot be relied upon whatsoever.....mostly gives out a false reading when you're on for a decent score. Just hit a 147 yrd shot into a 4mph wind and it went 100yrds....that's too funny.....yet played the same shot into the same hole on Kiawah the round before into a 3mph wind in totally the same direction and it landed less than 2 yrds from pin.

the more i play this game, the more i am coming to the conclusion that you're score is pre determined by the game.let's face it, you're gonna have to be very lucky to complete a round where neither the meter nor wrong wind stats don't cost you the difference between a -6 and a -8 on any 9 hole round.

<edit>

roflmao...just played a ready go on st andrews.......hit a full 3 wood on the button (235 yrds) into a 8mph headwind and it went 170 yrds.....you're having a f*cking laugh. it was a straight fairway...no elevevation.

there's an obvious f*ck up with the wind here on this game between a ready go and normal game.

i think in future....i'll stick my money on the lottery instead of playing ready go's. if i win a ready go with it's dodgey wind stats i might win $5....but if i win the lottery i'd win a cool £5 million.

same chance really....because this game's becoming more of a lottery every day.

tbe

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Wed, Oct 26 2011 1:36 PM

THIS IS WHAT I TOOK AWAY FROM THIS GREAT POST ON WIND - MAYBE IT WILL HELP YOU TOO -

I found this post extremely helpful on the one hand - bravo! On the other hand, it may be TOO precise and obviously under one set of conditions (clubs, ball, directly into or against the wind, backspin, completely level, etc).

On top of all the other calculations we each have to make for every shot, here is what I took away from this information - which I have boiled down to something very easy to remember:

FOR EACH 5 MPH OF WIND - ADD OR SUBTRACT 3% (60% factor is another way of doing this - any wind will affect the ball 60% of the distance times the wind- in a straight line; cut that in half for a quartering wind, etc.) These calculations should also apply to a side wind, in terms of how far left or right to aim. In an easy example, if you are facing a 15 mph headwind on a 100 yard shot, 60% times an average of 15 mph in your face will mean a standard shot (YOUR standard shot for 100 yards under a specific set of conditions) means your ball will fly 91 yards. (60% x 15 = 9 yards). This compares to the PRECISE calculation above of 90.24 yards - however this is close enough for me!!

SO:

5 MPH - 3% (of total distance)

10 MPH - 6%

15 MPH - 9%

20 MPH - 12%

25 MPH - 15%

I don't know about you, but this I can remember! This game is not as precise as we would like however, having an easy to use mental calculation is very helpful to me - as wind is by far the last and most difficult element of this game (after putting!!) to master.

If this helps anyone else, great!

• Lizard69
    2,006 Posts
    Mon, Oct 8 2012 7:52 AM

Hi there,

This is working pretty well for me as wind is the biggest pain in my butt right now, do you use the same calc for tailwinds?

• attiuq
    34 Posts
    Thu, Aug 8 2013 2:58 PM

bump

RSS