Forums

Help › Forums

Ping red wood putter

Mon, Jan 18 2010 12:24 PM (91 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jan 13 2010 7:15 AM

Cool-thanks for the explanation. Now, your next post needs to be the map you have on both courses of those spots. Screenshots would be nice but I'll take your descriptions. 

;-)

1,644 Posts
    Wed, Jan 13 2010 7:16 AM

LOL I was actually thinking of doing that the other day.... but I suck with graphics....

• mannyo68
    23 Posts
    Wed, Jan 13 2010 9:34 AM
    Lee, thanks for the tips. I will practice some more although I am getting sick of it. Over the last two days I logged over 20 hours just putting constantly on both courses leaving 6 to 20 footers until I ran out of shots. I had to make a putt in that range or I would just set up another. All that hard work and I am not any better at reading the greens or missing on the right side of the mark. I even bought the slowest balls to slow the meter down to give me a better chance of hitting my mark and still nothing. Still wondering though... No one answered my question about how the heck did a 5.5 putt downhill minus 1 with no break with one move of the 30ft scale that I dinged miss on the left side. This was on hole #3 on Kiawah from just beyond the flag. The move and ding should have dropped it dead in. The move put me 1.5 ft past the hole. How the heck does that putt move left?? Back to the practice greens.....
    1,644 Posts
    Wed, Jan 13 2010 10:08 AM

AH HA!  Kiawah #3!  This is perhaps one of THE most deceiving greens in this game.  It has always had subtle breaks that are not given justice by the green grid.  Best advice here is to take your medicine, move on and remember that the best putt to leave there is just short and right of the pin, I find that gives you the truest read on that green.  Trust me I've nearly express posted (out the window)  many mice on that green alone!

• mannyo68
    23 Posts
    Wed, Jan 13 2010 10:25 AM
    Lee, Thanks for answering the question. At least I know someone else is feeling my pain. I have played over 20 holes so far using your tips and am still regulary not getting the break right. I putt over and over leaving myself a 6 to 18 footer until I sink one and I am hitting less than 10%. Not good. I am playing the gis2 balls to have an even slower meter to "miss" or hit it exactly where I aim/plan and nothing. I even posted a +25 ranked 9 to prove that I am practicing and taking the advice of practice. Ready to toss in the towel. A couple of question to the crowd that promotes miss the mark to aim and not aim so much with the pointer. How much to miss the mark? Slight break 1/8in. or 1/4in.? Severe break 1/3 of the blue space or 1/2 of the blue space? Does missing the mark change distance hit or just aim? It seems to me it changes distance also. Am I wrong? Lee, you are a Master with a sub 60 avg.. Are all your approach shots that close that a one putt birdie is a given? What is your average approach shot landing at? Less than 3yds? I can nail approach shots pretty dam close but can't sink the 6 to 16 footers. Time to head back to the practice greens.
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jan 13 2010 10:37 AM

Hang on a second, manny. Methinks you're trying too hard to get it perfect. At some point the real manny has to take over and interject the fun part of this game-your own intuition. I can't explain why you missed that putt any more than I can explain why my "perfect" putts lip out once in a while.  But they do and yours did. Play your game and when it comes to putting add your own touches to everything you've tried and learned. You'll get it. You've come too far to not get it-LOL. You're doing fine.

1,644 Posts
    Wed, Jan 13 2010 10:38 AM

Manny,

My average approach in my stats right now sits at 10 feet, but that is subjective to the length of time I have been playing.  I have been through all the tee changes (keep getting bumped back) as well as all the advancements in clubs and balls.  If you were to take one of my better rounds (my recent 56 on Kiawah) I was under 5 feet (4.7 I think) from the pin on average for the entire round.  Keep in mind that that is with THE most precise clubs and 'stickiest' balls you can get.  I missed 1 putt I should have sank in that round.

Normally I would guess that my average is at about 7-9 feet lately, which yes does lend to more chances at birdie. Your clubs are far less precise than mine, so there is no comparison there, but that's actually a good thing.... because it is forcing you to learn how to putt, and then you'll know what to do when you really need it (like draining that 30 foot monster to finish an extra few places higher in the standings)

• mannyo68
    23 Posts
    Wed, Jan 13 2010 10:42 AM
    Lee, Thanks for answering the approach question. I was very curious. The question about missing the mark. How much is acceptable to miss it in order to aim correctly? 1/8 in., 1/4in. 1/2in. or half of the blue meter. What is the consensus there? I try to miss it on the right side but then the guessing comes in about how much to miss it. Thanks again for all the insight.
    1,644 Posts
    Wed, Jan 13 2010 10:44 AM

Over to Jim (or anyone else who would like a stab) on that one, I don't subscribe to that philosophy.... 

• mannyo68
    23 Posts
    Wed, Jan 13 2010 10:47 AM

I will assume then Lee that you use the pointer to aim your putt then try to ding it every time? 

RSS