Forums

Help › Forums

Ping red wood putter

Mon, Jan 18 2010 12:24 PM (91 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 1:33 PM

Hypothetical explanation as I understand it..........

Straight in putt . Ding the Redwood, ball goes in. Ding the Starter, putt goes in. Miss the Redwood the thickness of the line-ball barely misses. Same hit with a Starter-ball goes in. Miss the Redwood by 2 lines-ball misses bigger. Same shot with Starter-ball might go in.

The precision affects how much you're screwed by missing-more precision-more screwed if you miss BUT when you don't miss it goes where you aim it. The Starter doesn't always go where you aim it. Simple as I can explain it.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 3:06 PM

Manny... that is funny!  The yips in WGT.  Thought you could only get those in real life.

I leave the pointer right at the hole and try to put enough roll on the ball to have it go 1.5 to 2 feet past the hole.  Two footers here are darned near automatic.  On my home course... eh...

• pillsy
    489 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 7:51 PM

YankeeJim:

Hypothetical explanation as I understand it..........

Straight in putt . Ding the Redwood, ball goes in. Ding the Starter, putt goes in. Miss the Redwood the thickness of the line-ball barely misses. Same hit with a Starter-ball goes in. Miss the Redwood by 2 lines-ball misses bigger. Same shot with Starter-ball might go in.

The precision affects how much you're screwed by missing-more precision-more screwed if you miss BUT when you don't miss it goes where you aim it. The Starter doesn't always go where you aim it. Simple as I can explain it.

really???  not to confuse manny, but i've experienced the opposite.  if i don't ding the redwood, it seems to me the ball still goes closer to where i aim and it doesn't lose the power like if you miss the line with the starter.  hmmm...

one other thing, manny was asking if there's any formulas to judge the break...like movements per square = how far outside the hole to aim.  unfortunately, I haven't found that magic formula.  i think this is one of those things that is pretty close to real-life golf.  you have to rely on feel and experience.  when i line up a putt, i usually set the marker outside the hole, then follow the line with my eyes and try to visualize the break, then make adjustments to the marker based on what i expect, step back, and look again at how i expect it to break this time.  it's really one of those things, the more you play, the better you will get at it.  one question, do you find you're missing because you're not getting the distance right, you're not aiming right, or you're not hitting the line consistently?  (or all 3?)

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 8:42 PM

The Redwood putter and the G10-8.0 Driver are both featured as the most accurate combo currently available. I have had both for around 6 weeks. My putting has never been worse, and my driving average has gone from 93.8% to 92.4%. I am still trying to find this improved accuracy in both pieces. By now, if I could get my actual hands on these clubs, I would have 4 clubs instead of 2.

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 9:32 PM

So wgt what is up even the established top players have now realized there are problems and still no action, iv'e been hearing a fix is in the next update.ive heard it more than i can bear,its about time you step up stop making excuses and fix it.

SP if its any consolation i use rapture v2's the most forgiving club lol i miss the ding by 2pixels now and its up to 20yards of the mark.Idont no how youl go with those you have got as there unforgiving,good luck.

WGT with every update you nearly have to learn the game all over again, fix problems at hand dont fix things that work it is quite simple,im not saying programing is easy either just the principle dont fix what isnt broken.

thx chips

• iwb1
    110 Posts
    Sat, Jan 16 2010 6:49 AM

mannyo68:
    . Again, the main question of this post is: how does the precision characteristic affect the redwood putter versus the free one? thanks in advance.....

My experience with the Redwood was to take a giant step forward in the standard of my play.

I have always used the dead aim method.

Using the standard putter I got to a point where I was sure I had aimed correctly, used the right power, dinged the meter and the putts were still missing. I then purchased the Redwood, with a small amount of practice to adjust to the different scales and the distance each would go per avatar movement, I was now knocking in the putts that I was missing with the standard. This is due to precision. The Redwood rolls more true to the aim point where as the standard I found to be more of a crap shoot.

An example of a putt that to me I would of missed if using the standard. This was done about a week after the purchase.

replay.aspx?ID=2b5593b0 f467 4d6d b659 9d0000e0c5ce

Manny stick to one method of aiming. Think about the putts you miss and why they missed e.g.  right aim wrong power or right power wrong aim.

SweetiePie    I am surprised you are having problems with the Redwood maybe you learnt to deal with the lack of precision with the standard. The two putters do play different

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 16 2010 8:17 AM

Nice relate iwb-you're all over it. Believe it, manny.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Jan 16 2010 9:02 AM

iwb1:
    SweetiePie    I am surprised you are having problems with the Redwood maybe you learnt to deal with the lack of precision with the standard. The two putters do play different

To be realistic, the Redwood is a fabulous club. I think I have grown used to its excellence to a point of expecting to make everything, which is foolish on my part. The several green speed varieties get under my skin often enough to encourage me to lay blame elsewhere instead of where it belongs...with me.

• iwb1
    110 Posts
    Sat, Jan 16 2010 10:22 AM

SweetiePie:

To be realistic, the Redwood is a fabulous club. I think I have grown used to its excellence to a point of expecting to make everything, which is foolish on my part. 

Know that feeling well. I have days when I seem to be able to hole everything and am disappointed when I miss a 20'+ for birdie. My trouble is good putting days go with bad approach days and vice verse. Just waiting for the day it all comes together and I nail 18 holes at Beth

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Sat, Jan 16 2010 3:03 PM

iwb1 Itotaly agree with you on the fact you do need to stick to one aim method with all putters. The redwood is probably the most accurate, but the feel of the spider enables me to be more accurate with it over a wider range of distances.I find the redwood is awesome on the longer putts but quite hard to use around the 6to10 ft range.As i own them both this is MO. I choose to stick with the spider,though i would say pick one and learn to use it. I aim by using a combination of  the target and delibrately missing the ding and for me this is the best and only method but takes some getting used to. have a look at some of my replays to see the results .Thx to YJ for the lessons practise is the key.

Short irons is where it matters,Chipp

RSS