Forums

Help › Forums

clubs

rated by 0 users
Sun, Aug 23 2009 8:53 AM (34 replies)
  • tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Wed, Aug 19 2009 7:08 PM

We're comparing clubs, not personnel Faterson.  The Camry and the Maserati cost their respective amounts, no matter who the perspective driver is.  My point is sound:  Premium equipment, whether it be golf clubs, automobiles, television sets, computers etc. cost more than their lesser performing varieties.  Only here in WGT-land does this not hold true.  The Raptures do NOT perform nearly as well as the Ping G10 Master set.  They may be easier to use, but that just makes them a Camry now doesn't it?   So, why not the Camry price? :)

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Aug 19 2009 7:22 PM

You're right, but those analogies between WGT.com & real life don't always work. (For example, you can buy a Maserati in real life if you're a miserable driver, you just need to pay the price. Doesn't work that way here on WGT.com, so perhaps the Rapture club set is simply meant to stay the most expensive club set for Hack+ players for the foreseeable future, as you & HBThree said, and the Master club sets are seen as "offered with a discount" already built-in for you Master players.)

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Aug 19 2009 8:02 PM

As far as tier restrictions go I think you're seeing a trade-off from reality.  Someone had mentioned that a low handicap is not required to go buy the latest and greatest driver, but a low handicap is required to hit that driver consistently well.  Key word here is consistent.  Anyone can fire off a good one now and then, but handicap is generally the determinant for how many of those 14 or 15 fairways you actually land in over the course of your round.

On WGT, we have a severely dumbed down swing system when compared to real life.  On WGT, any hack tier player who can match up a meter to a strike line will hit a driver equally as consistent as any master and therein lies the disconnect.  You wouldn't see that in real life, so WGT has to include that real-life element somehow.  Without personal stats to modify, tier restrictions seem to be the only way to do that.

I think the restrictions are a good idea.  When I play a Pro and we both nut our R9's on Bethpage #10, we're generally within a few yards of each other.  The 25 yard club advantage was just nullified by the Pro's 25 yard tee box advantage.

I think we sometimes forget that they aren't making a game here.  They're doing their best to make a true-to-life golf simulation that includes all the quirkiness and madness of the real thing.  Sometimes that means we have to suspend reality and acknowledge there are certain things that must be done because a lump of code will never ever equal the real thing.

I think that making a quality golf sim with real life elements is more important to them than raw capitalism at this point.  If they succeed on the first point, I think the money will take care of itself in the long run.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Aug 19 2009 11:29 PM

Faterson:
    Snaike:
    screw your $15

Ah, the Boilerplate Man furiously gnashing his teeth when his business theories are exposed as hot air!    It's certainly amusing to see a capitalist enterprise rejecting money from their potential customers, let's just hope they know what they're doing! They have now announced that advancing to the Master tier will be even more difficult starting from today, which means more rejected money from more rejected potential customers, blowing the Boilerplate Man's economic theories all to pieces!  

Nivlac:
    I think that making a quality golf sim with real life elements is more important to them than raw capitalism at this point.  If they succeed on the first point, I think the money will take care of itself in the long run.

QFT, and said more eloquently than mine.

Well, Faterson... does this mean that Nivlac gets denigrated as well?  Or do you just drag my name in when you need a scapegoat for your most current folly?

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Aug 20 2009 3:00 AM

There's no scapegoating, but you're the one who's been exuberantly propounding the raw capitalism theory in these discussions, and you've just been proven wrong both by the new additions in the ProShop and by what Nivlac says. To wit: since WGT are willing to cut themselves away from immediate revenues by implementing Master-only equipment, they might be equally willing to do so in penalizing multi-player quitters.  

• RojoYoda
    39 Posts
    Thu, Aug 20 2009 2:33 PM

Not sure whether to start a new thread or not...but has anyone noticed that the R9 9.5 has been reduced by 100 credits to the new price of 800 credits?? Bought this club only a few days ago for 900 credits and was more than slightly peeved at seeing the price reduction! :-(

Don't suppose theres any chance of asking WGT for a refund is there?!

• sabbath270
    231 Posts
    Thu, Aug 20 2009 3:45 PM

RojoYoda: Wow you're right, that sucks. I have that one. Not going to complain about a dollar after I won a big prize though.

But you guys might :]

• RojoYoda
    39 Posts
    Thu, Aug 20 2009 4:11 PM

sabbath270:

RojoYoda: Wow you're right, that sucks. I have that one. Not going to complain about a dollar after I won a big prize though.

But you guys might :]

Its not that its just a dollar but its the fact that its a newish club that has only been recently released, ok if its an older club!

A dollar might not be much but it does get you a couple packs of GI D balls! Not sure who/where I need to talk to?!

• 6packmike
    235 Posts
    Thu, Aug 20 2009 5:47 PM

I got the raptures and I think they are great.. I'm not sure I can handle the faster meter no matter how forgiving it is. That sucker moves fast enough now. The wedges are a bit to fast but I'm getting used to them. For a little more than a round of golf I'm enjoying making friends, competition, and an eerie similarity to the real game while rewarding a great company. No download and beautiful graphics. I have to admit it po's me that someone is shooting a 52 in a tournament on Bethpage Black to boot. Guess they are lifers but even to average in the fiftys is sick. I hope they aren't using a machine.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Aug 21 2009 4:43 AM

6packmike, the August All Ladies tournament is played from ladies' tees by everyone, with no wind. There's nothing sick or even surprising about the best players on this site shooting low 50s scores in that particular tournament. What's surprising is that WGT would organize a tournament under such absurd conditions.    They've done so for the very first time in August 2009, and let's hope it's the last tournament set up so unnaturally that we'll ever see. 

RSS