Forums

Help › Forums

clubs

rated by 0 users
Sun, Aug 23 2009 8:53 AM (34 replies)
  • marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Wed, Aug 19 2009 11:26 AM

It really isn't that difficult to get to the Master tier, IMO.

I do agree with Faterson and others that it makes no sense for WGT to restrict the purchase of clubs.   It's a bizarre business model where you turn away potential paying customers due to that customer not making it to some arbitrary skill level (which no one but WGT seems to know the criteria for).

But then again, I'm not a businessman, so what the heck do I know.   :)

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Wed, Aug 19 2009 11:46 AM

Still wondering why the Rapture set is more expensive than even the Master+ tier clubs.  A driver that goes 245 isn't worth more than one that goes 275, I don't care what the meter speed is.  But hey, I don't mind paying less for clubs that do more :)

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Aug 19 2009 12:43 PM

Perhaps because I, when equipped with Rapture clubs, usually beat players who use TaylorMade clubs? What's the use of a driver that hits 30 yards more than the Rapture driver, if your Fairways Hit % is significantly lower than that of the Rapture driver, which pretty frequently is 100%? As I've remarked often, I've won most of my Ladder games so far thanks to other people's mishitting their TaylorMade clubs, especially the driver. (I like the TaylorMade clubs, they're fun to play with, but I don't use them for tournament games because they're just too risk-prone.)

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Wed, Aug 19 2009 12:47 PM

tibbets:

Still wondering why the Rapture set is more expensive than even the Master+ tier clubs.  A driver that goes 245 isn't worth more than one that goes 275, I don't care what the meter speed is.  But hey, I don't mind paying less for clubs that do more :)

Tibbets...my sense is  that  the Rapture set is the most expensive because a vast number of players enjoy the forgiveness the clubs provide as well as the slow meter.  I also sense that both the forgiveness and the slow meter allow a significant number of players at all teirs to play the game at a consistantly better level than they might with other club sets currently available....HBThree

PS...I still use the Raptures for the very reason that they provide this old man better control...also carry the R-9 8.5 degree driver, in addtition to the Rapture driver, for those occassions where "that 285 yard drive" makes the potential reward out weigh the potential risk.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Aug 19 2009 12:59 PM

HBThree completely demolished me in our Ladder games thanks to his carrying 2 drivers in his bag. As soon as I saw him routinely swapping the R9 driver for the more secure Rapture driver at the tees, I knew I had next to no chance for playing an even game with him... It would take some serious blunders from a Master player so that I could keep up with him/her, and those blunders usually come when a Master mishits a TaylorMade or G10 club (especially the driver), but once a Master opts to use the comfortably secure Rapture clubs, I'd have to play the round of my life in order to be competitive with him/her.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Aug 19 2009 2:14 PM

Again.. dragging me in where I have no interest to be.  Thanks Sr. Quixote.  Now that I'm here...

Perhaps WGT doesn't want the Pro's hitting the ball 275.  It would make Kiawah a complete joke.  They are willing to allow those who put in the TIME and PRACTICE and whatnot who actually succeed in making it to the Master Tier a small incentive.... and screw your $15... they will just get it from someone else who CAN play the game.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Wed, Aug 19 2009 2:34 PM

Actually, the only logical explanation for the Raptures being the most expensive is from a strictly economic point of view.  They are the only "premium" set of clubs available to Hacks and above, so I guess the rationale is charge the most for them, knowing that a great # of people will buy them in the beginning for rapid advancement.  It's kind of the 'deal you can't refuse' if you want some extra oomph in your game right from the start. 

Like I said above, I don't mind paying less for the best clubs.  Were we to base price on performance, however, they would be half the price they are now.  Anyone who argues that they are rightfully the most expensive are using justifications that make no sense.  It's akin to saying, "Well, my Toyota Camry stays on the road easier, drives at a more manageable speed, and gets better fuel economy than your Maserati, so it should be more expensive"  Guess what?  In the hands of the right driver, my Maserati is going to leave your Camry in the dust over and over.  Camrys cost $20,000 USD, Maseratis cost over $100,000 USD.

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Wed, Aug 19 2009 3:11 PM

tibbets:

Actually, the only logical explanation for the Raptures being the most expensive is from a strictly economic point of view.  They are the only "premium" set of clubs available to Hacks and above, so I guess the rationale is charge the most for them, knowing that a great # of people will buy them in the beginning for rapid advancement.  It's kind of the 'deal you can't refuse' if you want some extra oomph in your game right from the start. 

Like I said above, I don't mind paying less for the best clubs.  Were we to base price on performance, however, they would be half the price they are now.  Anyone who argues that they are rightfully the most expensive are using justifications that make no sense.  It's akin to saying, "Well, my Toyota Camry stays on the road easier, drives at a more manageable speed, and gets better fuel economy than your Maserati, so it should be more expensive"  Guess what?  In the hands of the right driver, my Maserati is going to leave your Camry in the dust over and over.  Camrys cost $20,000 USD, Maseratis cost over $100,000 USD.

My point is that for some and possibly many, the Raptures provide a club set that allows one to be better than he/she can be otherwise...this, of course, is certainly not true for all, including folks at your level, but for many more (thus the price) it may well be the best club set for maximizing one's game. 

Folks will and do pay for what makes them the best they can be; and many...purely economics for the WGT as you state..... 

• sabbath270
    231 Posts
    Wed, Aug 19 2009 3:16 PM

tibbets has a Maserati?! Pics! :]

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Aug 19 2009 7:02 PM

tibbets:
    Guess what?  In the hands of the right driver, my Maserati is going to leave your Camry in the dust over and over.

"The right drivers" are few and far between in this game as they are on the road. The reality in this game is, rather, that Camry drivers leave Maserati drivers in the dust over and over because most folks haven't learned to drive their Maseratis safely enough yet, and perhaps they never will. You can't take Michael Schumacher & Tibbets as the standard by which to judge others.

Snaike:
    screw your $15

Ah, the Boilerplate Man furiously gnashing his teeth when his business theories are exposed as hot air!    It's certainly amusing to see a capitalist enterprise rejecting money from their potential customers, let's just hope they know what they're doing! They have now announced that advancing to the Master tier will be even more difficult starting from today, which means more rejected money from more rejected potential customers, blowing the Boilerplate Man's economic theories all to pieces!  

RSS